What's new

Iran sees conspiracy in box office success of Ben Affleck's 'Argo'

Only illiterate and stupid people form their opinion based on movies and tv shows, and I don't think we should really care about such people. I mean does it really matter what a hill billy thinks about me or you or Muslims? Schizophrenia is extreme form of paranoia.
P.S:I am already in India :)
I don't need a certificate of intelligence from a person who thinks that Taken 2 is purposely made to make Muslims look bad. :rofl:
Actually its the literate ones that falls for this paranoia same as stupid people. Do you really think US public watch serious journalism and research like we do before they make up their mind ? Year after year war and still US public electing presidents that initiated wars explains how this paranoia is built and used for political gains.

US has effective media mechanism to present facts that results in public support for action against any country.

The issue is not that the movie was made with that specific purpose, but that the villain role, which is generic and can be filled in by various groups, was given to a particular group.

No, I don't expect you to understand that Hollywood purposely portrays certain groups in certain ways. If you accept that Hollywood makes a conscious effort to portray gays and blacks in a positive light, what is the logical reason to deny that the reverse agenda can also be present?

Of course, if you don't accept that a specific, albeit benign, agenda underlies Hollywood portrayal of gays, blacks, etc., then there is no point discussing further. I would urge you to educate yourself about the history of American media, but I honestly can't be bothered.

P.S. Another example, but using French cinema instead of Hollywood. The latest French blockbuster "The Intouchables" is based on a true story of a wealthy, white French paraplegic and his ethnic servant/friend. In real life, the ethnic was an Algerian Arab, but French cinema decided French audiences couldn't handle an Arab hero, so the role was rewritten for a black man.

Of course some of the storylines are prejudiced and have hidden agendas, but its because of the prejudice that the director or the playwright holds, not because its some deep rooted "ohmeyghaad annihilate all the muslims" conspiracy.

Have you seen the the rubbish that your own movie industry produces, the anti Hindu venom that it spews? Are we to assume that the Pakistani Establishment is behind such movies?:lol: Or Turkish movies and its anti Semitic propaganda or Iranian movie and its anti western propaganda?

Of course some of the storylines are prejudiced and have hidden agendas, but its because of the prejudice that the director or the playwright holds, not because its some deep rooted "ohmeyghaad annihilate all the muslims" conspiracy.

You didn't answer my question: is there a widespread pattern in Hollywood to portray certain groups (gays, blacks, etc.) in a positive role? What is the logical reason to deny that the opposite agenda can also be there?

Pakistani ... Turkish

And, when the point is lost, here comes the predictable attempt to change the topic...

Actually its the literate ones that falls for this paranoia same as stupid people. Do you really think US public watch serious journalism and research like we do before they make up their mind ? Year after year war and still US public electing presidents that initiated wars explains how this paranoia is built and used for political gains.

US has effective media mechanism to present facts that results in public support for action against any country.

Americans are smarter than you think. They elect presidents based on their domestic issues. They don't really care if their country goes to war or not, not that it would matter anyways.

2hs1z61.png

2cielue.png

2rnx9pv.png

Most Important Problem

You didn't answer my question: is there a widespread pattern in Hollywood to portray certain groups (gays, blacks, etc.) in a positive role? What is the logical reason to deny that the opposite agenda can also be there?

Again that is your illogical assumption, based on not much( other than the usual "everyone is out to get Muslims" paranoia of course). I don't think there is any concerted effort in Hollywood to show gays and blacks in good light. And even if there is, its a positive effort. Just like there is positive effort in media the world over to show that not all Muslims are terrorists. Unless you are suggesting that all the Hollywood industry people are evil and hence have no issues with being directed to purposely demonize Muslims?

And, when the point is lost, here comes the predictable attempt to change the topic...

How is it off topic? Its very much on topic, if you are suggesting that Muslims are being portrayed negatively is part of some grand conspiracy, then the same "logic" should be applied to other movie industries too:confused:

I don't think there is any concerted effort in Hollywood to show gays and blacks in good light. And even if there is, its a positive effort.

Translation: it's not true and, even if it's true, it doesn't matter.

If a positive agenda is demonstrated, then a negative agenda also becomes feasible. We have shown evidence, with specific examples, of how Hollywood tends to portray Muslims in a negative light. There have been other threads about Hollywood portrayal of Muslims in general.

You are just covering your ears and saying "I don't believe it". Fine. We never expected anything different from you.

And this is the reason why I totally doubt Iran's ridiculous and nonsensical claims of its Military capabilities.

300 was a graphic comic book that was turned into a movie.

The main story was 300 men holding out against a vast army.

It was an amazing movie and I have it on blue-ray.

Deal with it.

When you guys continue to yell death to America, make retarded conspiracy theories, burn American flags, paint ghastly murals....how else should Americans see you but a bunch of brainless mindless savages....

Fix your image before asking the west to change their perception of you.

Good for you :coffee:

Slumdog Millionaire was seen as poverty **** agenda driven movie by the enlightened Indians.

Argo: Hollywood demonizes Iran again
By Kaveh L Afrasiabi

In his narrative on "soft power," Harvard professor Joseph Nye has enlightened us about the powerful American movie industry as a source of American "ideological attraction" that complements the Western superpowers' "hard power." This means that instead of pure entertainment or mere artistic creations, Hollywood movies function as propaganda supplements, often by providing a binary image of "good Americans" versus the "hostile others" on US's enemy list.

With Iran topping that list for the past 33 years, it is hardly surprising that Hollywood has dutifully dished out a growing number of movies that recycle the enemy image of Iran, thus warranting this author's observation five years ago: "Hollywood's tall walls of exclusion and discrimination have yet to crumble

when it comes to the movie industry's persistent misrepresentation of Iranians and their collective identity immersed in a long thread of history." [1]

Thus, a common thread runs through Iran-bashing movies, including Not Without My Daughter (1991), Peacemaker (1997), Syriana (2005), 300 (2006), and most recently Argo (2012). That is, the negative stereotype of the Iranian "other," as basically overemotional, angry and diabolically anti-Western, save the westernized Iranians. The tale is an all too familiar one: Western imperialism using its artistic prowess to inculcate an inferior and enemy image of Iran to serve hegemonic interests that include a frontal assault on the meaning and integrity of the Islamic revolution in Iran, which prides itself as the progenitor of an Islamic awakening throughout the Middle East.

Comparing Not Without My Daughter with Argo through critical lenses simply alerts us to a frozen time, as if in the 20 years separating the two movies focusing on Americans' escape from Iran, Hollywood has learned nothing new and is still immersed in its ideological wheel of self-aggrandizement of the American as hero, also reflected in other similar movies such as The Kingdom. [2] If The Kingdom treated us to a parade of "cult of FBI-worship," in Argo it is CIA's turn to be showered with immense love and affection for pulling off the disguised departure of six Americans during the Iran hostage crisis. Both films reek of intense Islamophobia, however, and neither deserves serious intellectual attention, given a conventional genre, predictable scripts, and lack of creative imagination - Hollywood's main malady nowadays.

To be sure, the connection between film and history is complex and, as this author has noted elsewhere, it is perhaps beyond the pale for the movie industry to "getting it right," particularly when it comes to covering revolutions. [3] But, when it comes to Iran and the Islamic revolution, there have been no dearth of attempts to deciphering and comprehending it as US Department of State would wish; ie, as essentially America's chief post-Cold War bete noire, anything else would be cognitive dissonance.

Little surprise, then, that like an earlier American movie, On Wings of Eagles (1986), starring Burt Lancaster, which also dealt with American hostages' escape from Iran, this year's release, Argo , is fundamentally bereft of new insights about Iran, and neither film is even minimally capable of going beyond the facade of angry anti-American crowds. Instead, a persistent de-humanization of Iranians is detectable in the sub-text of these movies, which, from the vantage point of the Muslim and Third World audience around the globe, needs to be de-coded and deconstructed, as an integral aspect of the Third World culture of resistance (transcending Iran).

In fairness to Argo, its opening scenes seek to contextualize the US-Iran conflict, by referring to US's overthrow of the democratically elected Iranian government in 1953 and its replacement with a ruthless and corrupt monarchy. That is a tiny step forward. Unfortunately, it is effectively neutralized in the rest of movie's relentless Iran-bashing, primarily in the form of various voice-over narratives vilifying the post-revolutionary order, as well as even more (de-humanizing) cardboard images of angry Iranians, confronting the "good" and "innocent" Americans in the streets, bazaar, airport, and so on.

As a result, if Argo and its purportedly "liberal" producers had aimed to create a filmic vehicle to teach the younger generation of American movie-goers a thing or two about American foreign policy, notwithstanding the Arab Spring's downfall of multiple American-backed dictatorships, then the end product is at best half-satisfying, given inescapable main flaws that reduce it to the level of yet another artifact of the American ideological apparatus.

This is so because the movie's subtle critique of past American interventionism is checkmated by the not so subtle reproduction of the hostile image of the Iranian "Muslim other," who elicits no sympathy but plenty of scorn and hatred among average western viewers exposed to vile and angry images on the silver screen. What is conspicuously absent is a genuine plea for understanding, compassion, and empathy for the suffering of an entire nation, which was brutalized in the midst of the crisis in the form of a massive US-backed invasion by Iraq's Saddam Hussain, who was America's surrogate for inflicting pain on Iran that Washington for various reasons could not manage directly.

Indeed, the history of American hostage crisis and Iraq's invasion of Iran are highly intertwined, in light of the ample evidence that the CIA was instructed to provide Iraq's brutal dictator with vital information on Iran's military formations. One wonders how the audience would react if they would be exposed to another "true story" about Iran that would show the heroic CIA agents meeting Saddam Hussain and giving him the critical intel he used to kill and displace millions of Iranians during the bloody eight-year war? Certainly that would not be in line with Professor Nye's description of American "soft power". The ever so "civilized" Americans do not wish to be projected on the screen as "uncivilized" and they are much obliged in this by the makers of Argo and other pathetically familiar Iranophobic movies.

Slumdog Millionaire was seen as poverty **** agenda driven movie by the enlightened Indians.

No only stupid Indians think that way.That was a great movie.Well expect for fake British accent of the lead actors.

I saw the movie and it was fantastic. If someone watches a movie and sees it as reality, I really don't know what to say. This movie was great entertainment loosely based on real events. It is what it is, no conspiracy here.

Back
Top Bottom