What's new

Iran seeks enhanced defence ties with India

Defence co-operation might not be buying 'always' I think. It could be also intelligence gathering, sharing, Joint ventures, Tech share and stuff....We can sell them Dhruvs too.

But what is the benefit for Indian interest? The whole point on us opposing the UN sanctions on Iran, are our interests in oil. But buying oil to fulfill our requirements is one thing, selling Iran weapons is a whole different story and would clearly not be beneficiary for us. Joint developments are even less interesting, since Iran is not even close to be on par with the techs we could have from our current partner countries, or even that we develop on our own.

It's understandable that Iran is looking for some options to improve their capabilities, but that's not going to happen with India, since it would hurt more more and not benefit us!

But what is the benefit for Indian interest? The whole point on us opposing the UN sanctions on Iran, are our interests in oil. But buying oil to fulfill our requirements is one thing, selling Iran weapons is a whole different story and would clearly not be beneficiary for us. Joint developments are even less interesting, since Iran is not even close to be on par with the techs we could have from our current partner countries, or even that we develop on our own.

It's understandable that Iran is looking for some options to improve their capabilities, but that's not going to happen with India, since it would hurt more more and not benefit us!

The whole point us opposing Iran in UN was pressure from US and nothing else. Though I agree with rest of the facts.
Baring everything else, India might gain something from Iran with respect to Afghanistan as they do have some shots that we can use.

Thats all I could see. By selling them some weapons or sharing some tech with them if we can get Iran to play a bigger role in A'stan then I guess we have another supporter on the table. That would be interesting isnt it?

The whole point us opposing Iran in UN was pressure from US and nothing else. Though I agree with rest of the facts.
Baring everything else, India might gain something from Iran with respect to Afghanistan as they do have some shots that we can use.

Thats all I could see. By selling them some weapons or sharing some tech with them if we can get Iran to play a bigger role in A'stan then I guess we have another supporter on the table. That would be interesting isnt it?

We didn't opposed Iran, we opposed the US and their sanction policy against Iran! In fact we have a pretty good record to not support the US on their policies, which shows that we definitely are not bound to their pressure.
Also, we don't need Iran for closer ties to Afghansitan, the whole point to provide us with alternative routes over Iranian ports came from Iran itself, to benefit to closer ties to us and participate from the sale of Afghan oil, which otherwise would go through Pakistan and wouldn't get Iran anything.
So even wrt oil, they want something from us and not the otherway around, because India is one of the few options they have to sell oil and now they hope that India could be one of the few options to get arms or techs too. But while an alternative route for the oil might makes us less dependent on transit through Pakistan, providing Iran with weapons doesn't give us anything important in return.
We should focus on Iran and try to be a political link for them and to support new policies there, but selling weapons don't make things better for them.

Back
Top Bottom