What's new

Iran says it's almost done decoding US drone

By what standards? DES encryption is a well known data security technique. So we can move out of the 'military' arena and into the civilian one. Show me if anyone has broken a triple DES encrypted file. Just an example for now.

It depends, Decrypting and cracking are two different things. DES can't be decrypted in general and is very hard to be cracked but if you have a network of super computers and you use the brute force method with a bit of luck you can crack it. I personally don't buy the news, but to say that DES can't be 'cracked' at all is totally wrong.

It depends, Decrypting and cracking are two different things. DES can't be decrypted in general and is very hard to be cracked but if you have a network of super computers and you use the brute force method with a bit of luck you can crack it. I personally don't buy the news, but to say that DES can't be 'cracked' at all is totally wrong.

Luck is the last word you'd like to use while using brute force attack.

Did I say that? Let us be generous and say Allah can easily break it. But what are the odds of a deity who created the universe is going to bother HimSelf with something so trivial as petty squabbling in a backwater planet among His creation? So if the odds of a deity involving HimSelf in this venture is practically next to nothing, what are the odds of Iran having a network of stupid...errr...I mean...supercomputers working for who knows how long -- years may be ? -- just to break a DES encrypted file?

Luck is the last word you'd like to use while using brute force attack.

Well, the brute force attack will finally succeed after you've tested all possibilities, but it's relative to how luck you are. The luckier you are the faster you can crack the data. That's why I talked about luck.

Guys, wasn't it possible that the drone just crashed? And the Iranians were lucky enough to find it? "-.-

If the Iranians really did "hack" into the system, then that was extremely lucky :lol: Do people understand the kind of complexity in such a UAV? :lol:

hope iran has gets war with this american tech and soon build its own versions for it

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Guys, wasn't it possible that the drone just crashed? And the Iranians were lucky enough to find it? "-.-

If the Iranians really did "hack" into the system, then that was extremely lucky :lol: Do people understand the kind of complexity in such a UAV? :lol:
but how would it crash? if it got any error its programmed to fly and back back to base

If they were really smart, they would have kept 99% of the information under wrap not bragging about it like a kid after he wins a playground fight.

Here is a more rational explanation on how these UAV communicate => http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...th-uav-rq-170-downed-iran-68.html#post2383091 <= And what really happened with the Predator supposedly 'hacking' by Iraqi insurgents. Use that and see if it is probable if Iran had anything to do with this latest event.

Is Posidon iranian or a yank his posts are very Pro-Iranian and anti arab..

Did I say that? Let us be generous and say Allah can easily break it. But what are the odds of a deity who created the universe is going to bother HimSelf with something so trivial as petty squabbling in a backwater planet among His creation? So if the odds of a deity involving HimSelf in this venture is practically next to nothing, what are the odds of Iran having a network of stupid...errr...I mean...supercomputers working for who knows how long -- years may be ? -- just to break a DES encrypted file?

Come on Gambit stop being cute i dont insult your religion and would be grateful if you dont make snide comments about ours.
Dont get so worked up when you read stuff about your drone being decoded. Take it like a man. When it gets encrypted - the world will shudder and you wont any baseball and american football left!! OMG i bet you cant sleep!:azn:

Come on Gambit stop being cute i dont insult your religion and would be grateful if you dont make snide comments about ours.
You can say anything you like about my religion. I do not care.

Dont get so worked up when you read stuff about your drone being decoded.
Not at all. Am just asking for reasonably credible explanations on how.

Take it like a man.
Can I say that to you about your response about your religion? :lol:

And if Chinese help comes into play ???then???

Still, these encrypted redundant data are not like our Facebook passwords.

Even with Petaflop supercomputers, it'll take days. One thought that keeps creeping in my mind is, if they can get through the encryption, then can they access US satellites used in drone operation?

@Gambit

well its quite possible if the have the full device in working order they can just put it in debug mode or add some additional hardware to debug the basic data as the hardware/software loads hashes into the memory performs two way process of encoding and decoding copy that memory then use it as a key to read data. :yahoo: your done (no need for super computers).

Depends on situation and crew doing the job how they do it.

Still, these encrypted redundant data are not like our Facebook passwords.

Even with Petaflop supercomputers, it'll take days. One thought that keeps creeping in my mind is, if they can get through the encryption, then can they access US satellites used in drone operation?

@Gambit
Absolutely. This is no different than that of having THE key to someone's house front door. The airborne real-time two-way command-control (C2) data link is encrypted. How that encryption is done on-the-fly is unknown but we can reasonably assume that each UAV will be unique. See my explanation here => http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...th-uav-rq-170-downed-iran-68.html#post2383091 <= .

Back
Top Bottom