What's new

Iran Air Force outfits F1 warplanes with indigenous radar, other military equipment

Kailash Kumar

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
Iran Air Force outfits F1 warplanes with indigenous radar, other military equipment

15 February 2020

dd4c4d2b-ad30-462b-a242-9869970e55cf.jpg

This file photo shows an IRIAF Mirage F1 fighter jet.

The Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) says it has outfitted its Mirage F1 fighter jets with indigenously-developed radars and various other equipment of domestic manufacture.

IRIAF Deputy Commander Brigadier General Amir Vahedi made the remarks to Tasnim News Agency, which published them on Friday.

The domestic detection apparatus has done away with the aircraft’s previous shortcomings in the area of radar surveillance capability, the official added.

The Islamic Republic has already armed the warplanes with Iranian-built weapon systems, making them capable of carrying various projectiles, including indigenous cruise missiles with up to 300 kilometers (186 miles) in range.

The French-made warplanes can be deployed for various missions, including those designed to turn the tables on the enemy during aerial warfare. They can also be used for provision of logistical support for ground operations.

France had armed the Iraqi military with a number of the warplanes during former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hossein’s Western-backed imposed war of 1980-88 against the Islamic Republic.

Years later, a number of Iraqi aircraft, including some Mirages, fled to Iran to escape capture prior to the Persian Gulf War in 1991, which saw the United States and its allies attacking Iraq for its annexation of Kuwait under Saddam.

Tehran confiscated the aircraft as partial compensation for the losses, which were imposed on it during the former warfare.

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2020/02/15/618735/Iran-Air-Force-F1-warplanes-radar

I still wonder why Saddam sent his planes to Iran. Did he really think he would get those planes back?

I still wonder why Saddam sent his planes to Iran. Did he really think he would get those planes back?
Well Iraq did get there Su-25s back so it was either they went to Iran or they were destroyed on the ground by the U.S led coalition.

That's a Mirage??
Doesn't look like one.
Mirage F-1 not Mirage III/5 like what you have in your Air Force.

What kind of radar? Any details about specs?

What kind of radar? Any details about specs?
unlike IRGC, army is more conservative regarding releasing details. but i assume it should be something like bayyenat radar. which again army did not release it's specs, but some amateur analysts believe it has around 150 km range against flying targets and more against naval targets.
44923577_2149074365114395_6259581371494077947_n.jpg

I don't think he thought his government would ever get them back at least not freely anyways! Id say it was more about
1.Scaring and or angering the Americans.
2.If he was to fall the next the government would hands down be a Shiite government and it be much harder for Iran to deny them outright if they wanted them back....
3.Due to US sanctions Saddam also knew that without foreign supply of weapons and parts he wouldn't of been able to keep the fleet flying anyways and he also assumed that the likelihood that Iran could was also very unlikely at least not anytime soon since the fighters weren't' really in a good condition when they reached Iran and Iran had no weapons to arm them with and no experience in flying and maintaining them.

he will take the definitive answer to the grave with him...

ive always thought about it as well.. my guess was always that he wanted to get Iran involved in the conflict somehow... The US was ready to shoot the Iraqi airforce down on their predicted path to Jordan... so saddam sent them to Iran hoping the US would perhaps target them there and get Iran involved?

Too bad Saddam was an Iranian hating arab nationalist. if it weren't for his anti-IRan views. He would have actually been a perfect potential geopolitical ally for Iran...

The last sunni Arab dictator that was free of Zionist backed world orders influence. and had the balls to go against it.

Though Iraq today is probably the best thing that happened to Iran.

Back
Top Bottom