What's new

Iqbaliat

Words of wisdom still relevant to this day...

Good poem.

However I beg to differ with the trans-literation of "Khudi" as "ego".

The question to all those interested in Iqbaliat.

---- What is the origin of Iqbal's "khudi"?

Did Iqbal come up with this concept? Or he learned it from somewhere else?

Peace to all.

love the way hina sung this kalam of iqbal

Last edited by a moderator:
love the way hina sung this kalam of iqbal

Fantastic. She has a good voice no doubt. Good looking too :)

But this poem of Iqbal should not be sung as ghazal. The style of ghazal should be reserved for the heartaches associated with lost love.

this poem on the other hand is an uplifting message for those who are willing to understand it.

Will post my translation later.

peace

@FaujHistorian

Good to have you back.

Moses's miracle staff is one day due to be found as prophesied.

Im short of time, but I will come back with more :)

Fantastic. She has a good voice no doubt. Good looking too :)

But this poem of Iqbal should not be sung as ghazal. The style of ghazal should be reserved for the heartaches associated with lost love.

this poem on the other hand is an uplifting message for those who are willing to understand it.

Will post my translation later.

peace

I agree with you but i guess such rendition of kalam attract more listener

sometimes listening seem more pleasant to ears than reading :)

dont knwo what you will say about this video . I guess passion is there but pronunciation is not as good as hina did but yea again great message for youth if we look at content

I agree with you but i guess such rendition of kalam attract more listener

sometimes listening seem more pleasant to ears than reading :)

dont knwo what you will say about this video . I guess passion is there but pronunciation is not as good as hina did but yea again great message for youth if we look at content

Thank you.

Here is my "understanding" of this poem. This by the way is poem/chapter 54 in the book collection "Baale-Jibreel".

Jibreel or the Angel Gabriel has the unique "duty" in the premier group of angels. Right? that it brings the divine revelation to those who are blessed with such things.

Sort of Human connection or medium that links us to God, Allah, Bhagwan, Rubb, the creator.

With this context in mind, the first line in the first verse sets up something we can call the "main point" or the "focal point" for this poem.

and what is the that focal point?

-- Passion and pursuit of discovery.

Iqbal says, once you have that passion or pursuit of discovery,
you start learning about yourself, this world, this universe, down to the tiniest level like Atoms or even the tinier the HIggs boson.

Or the largest stars and supernovae. This is what he calls "Adabe Khud Agahi". The sacred practice that leads to self-awareness". And we know it, that such sacred practice is available to those who have passion for discovery. That's when a man turns from a lowly slave to basic instincts, a ghulam, a primitive being, and evolves into the mighty king, someone who is no longer a slave, beholden to low level desires. When the heavens open their bosom and show him the secrets of leaders, how to become a man. a king, someone who owns his destiny.

So with that, please read the first verse and enjoy!

Jab Ishq Sikhata Hai Adab-e-Khud Agaahi
Khulte Hain Ghulamon Par Asrar-e-Shehanshahi

next verses to come later.

Howe come I haven't heard back from anyone so far?

On to the second verse.

Attar Ho, Rumi Ho, Razi Ho, Ghazali Ho
Kuch Hath Nahin Ata Be Aah-e-Sahargahi

Ok. This one is pretty straight forward. as long as you remember that the first verse was talking about "Passion and pursuit of discovery". And Iqbal is kind of saying in this poem!

O Pakistani (Or Indian if you go back to his time)! you got to have the fire burning in your chest, curiosity in your mind about things around you. The birds in Bahawalpur, or the rocks in Mianwali, or the minerals in the water of the 5 mighty rivers flowing down from Himalayas.

So in the second verse, Iqbal gives examples of great scientists and philosophers like Einstein, Keppler, Newton, and Copernicus, Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, and Iqbal's hero Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (the dude Iqbal did his PhD on).

Ok Ok he used medieval Muslim sounding names because Nietzsche won't rhyme well in this verse.

But remember Iqbal's PhD research was all about European philosophers and scientists.

Coming back to the verse.

Iqbal talks about the "Passion and pursuit of discovery" the Ishq that keeps a scientist up until the early morning hours.

Aah-e-Sahargahi or simply Sehri (the time we fast in Ramzan) when the rest of the world is asleep but you are up in your lab toiling away with your research issue.

This is what all the medieval scientists and philosophers were doing. In the second part of this verse, Iqbal says you are not going to get your research objective until you are up until V hours.

In the first part of the second verse Iqbal then makes a reference to the following in order to emphasize the research in science and philosophy:

1. Attar --- Abū Hamīd bin Abū Bakr Ibrāhīm (1145-1146) 12th century Persian) poet, theoretician,Sufi
2. Rumi - Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī (Persian: 1207 – 1273), 13th-century poet, jurist, theologian,Sufi mystic
3.Razi - Muhammad ibn Zakariyā Rāzī (865 – 925), 9th-century Persian physician, chemist, philosopher
4. Ghazali - Abū Ḥāmid Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad al-Ghazālī (1058–1111) Persian theologian, jurist, philosopher, and mystic

Thus Iqbal is syaing to the youth of his time to follow examples of philosophers and scientists. And burn the midnight oil in pursuit of new discoveries.

Thanks for reading.

Yu tho syed bhi ho, Mirza bhi ho, Afghan bhi ho
Tum sabhi kuch ho batao kya musalman bhi ho

huwe mar k ham jo Ruswa
huwe kiyuN na gharq e darya

Yu tho syed bhi ho, Mirza bhi ho, Afghan bhi ho
Tum sabhi kuch ho batao kya musalman bhi ho

huwe mar k ham jo Ruswa
huwe kiyuN na gharq e darya

Please quote full poem.

It is hard to discuss anything without proper context

Peace