What's new

IPL teams were united in move to shun Pak players

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pakistani channels lose money from the lack of an India-Pakistan series then so do Indian channels. Its not like an India-Pakistan series only results in revenue for Pakistani channels.

So no, Pakistan will not lose more than India, and the existing relationship with India is so limited that what we do lose is negligible.

Relatively that smaller amount of money you lose is much larger to your relatively small economy. And believe me Pakistanis need every penny they can colect now.

yes it is your league your franchise your players we should accept that & not call it an international league! its a national league with lots of money! so it shouldn't be recognized even as an international league by PCB

Its definitly a national league were leading international stars particpate.

Nobody calls EPL or Seria A or La liga as international leagues.

First it is cable operators who has decided not to broadcast. Not the channels.
Whoever broadcasts, revenue is earned by entities on both sides, not just the Pakistani side, and therefore the absence of an India-Pak series means revenue is lost by both sides, not just the Pakistan side.

So the people who has DTH will still be able to view the matches.

Geo Super is having the broadcast rights in Pakistan.

IPL has sold its right to Geo who will broadcast it. If the matches are not viewed by the Pakistani people since cable operators block the channel it is Geo who will be lossing the moeny.
If the GoP bans the IPL, or if there is little interest in the league from Pakistanis this year, Geo will lose money, but there is nothing that can be done about that since the IPL has already made the decision to snub Pakistani players over political reasons.

If Geo does lose money, then perhaps they will not bid for broadcast rights next year, and life goes on.
P.S: - Last time cable operators in Pakistan went on strike since GOP blocked Indian satelite channels. Only time will tell this time hence wait till IPL starts.
Pakistani television was still in its nascent stage then (and there is little evidence the strike was widespread), and the relationship with India was on an upswing. Now the domestic environment is different, and there is widespread outrage over the IPL's derogatory behavior, even if it may not be permanent.

Relatively that smaller amount of money you lose is much larger to your relatively small economy. And believe me Pakistanis need every penny they can colect now.

Another Indian with a bloated sense of self-importance. Our TV stations are doing fine thank you, they have been expanding aggressively. A loss of revenue is a loss of revenue, but they won't go bankrupt over this.

I'm not sure we paid back in kind, though i can't deny that too as i don't have the data. However IPL 2 Pakistani players when selected did not participate due to politics by Pakistani govt even the matches were held in south africa. I hope all those complaining now of a snub keep this in mind and be consistent.

It would have been consistent had the IPL and/or GoI made it clear from the get go that they would not like Pakistani players to participate because of political tensions that would make availability of visas suspect.

Instead we saw a complete lack of etiquette and shoddy behavior from the Indians in first pursuing the Pakistani players, shortlisting them and getting them to be available for the auction, and then a couple of weeks later snubbing them over ridiculous reasons.

Just goes to show that pretty faces and money don't indicate class or etiquette.

I Cant Explain how happy i m ... :)

I also don't want to see our boys Go there ..

Poor taste!!! 26/11 was in poorer taste than this. Parlimant attack when Vajpayee had visited lahore was in even bad taste.
Before I respond to anything else, you are a senior member so I am not going to ban you right away. But I have had it with Indian lies and insults over Mumbai and the parliament attacks.

You want to troll land throw unsubstantiated allegations, go join the IPL and its coterie of whores and pimps. If you cannot stick to the topic here (and this goes for everyone since two threads on the IPL issue have been close because of Indian trolls) then goodbye.

why is this a geo-political and strategic issue!?

IPL surrenders on Line of Control

Players almost unknown to India have fetched record prices, but there were no takers for the current world Twenty20 champions Pakistan.

That’s the message the third auction of the Indian Premier League sent out on Tuesday, when none of the 11 Pakistanis up for sale received any bids.

No, not even Shahid Afridi, the player of the tournament in the 2007 World Twenty20 and the man of match in both the semifinal and final of last summer’s T20 carnival.

No one would admit there was any directive of any sort to avoid bidding for Pakistani players. All Rajasthan Royals’ co-owner Shilpa Shetty would say was the franchises “were not convinced about their (the Pakistanis’) availability and that’s why did not want to take a risk.”

But privately, bidders admitted it was more than just visa hassles. “There was nothing official told but it was basically a pure business decision,” a franchise official told HT. “The IPL is a commercial proposition, owned by businessmen and no one wanted to risk upsetting the government.”

And Pakistan reacted angrily. PTI quoted Afridi as saying from Brisbane the way he saw it, “IPL and India have made fun of us and our country. We are the Twenty20 World Champions and the attitude of the franchisees was disappointing. I feel bad for the Indian people…”

All-rounder Abdul Razzaq indicated he saw the snub as a joint strategy between the IPL and the government to insult Pakistani players, while Pakistan Cricket Board chief Ijaz Butt told HT he was “shocked”.

“It’s not only shocking, but very disappointing as well. We were hoping that things would be all right and they had also confirmed that most of our players would be considered.”

He also said there were no visa issues with any of the 11 players. “We were given permission to travel to India from our foreign office and the ministry. All 11 Pakistani players in the IPL auction list had their papers ready and the sports minister in India was very kind to expedite things to ensure they were not troubled. I really don't know what went wrong, but it hurts.”

Meanwhile, the other issue that had a couple of top Indian players unhappy was how much players like Keiron Pollard and Shane Bond went for.

“It is quite possible that both Pollard and Bond went for almost as much, if not more, than some of the icon players,” said a player from Bangladesh. “And Roach, a complete unknown (he went for $720,000/Rs. 3.3 crore), must be laughing all the way to the bank.”

While Pollard and Bond both received the maximum open bid possible, of $750,000 (Rs. 3.43 cr), they were both ‘sold’ through tie-breaks, in which the bidding franchise wrote down a closed bid over and above the $750,000 and handed that over to IPL commissioner Lalit Modi.

IPL surrenders on Line of Control- Hindustan Times

IPL was never that big in pakistan & amongst pakistani anyway so not participating in IPL 3 will actually have no affect on our cable operators income! IPL is a big even for INDIA & INDIANS! but there just isn't this big a hype for pakistan! as for every penny we get hmmmm interesting if you look at things in 2007 december indians said pakistan is going to be finished! well guess what 3 years on we are stronger & better placed! so keep dreaming about our economy ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom