Inzamam to blame for dearth of batting talent in Pak team: Sohail

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Inzamam to blame for dearth of batting talent in Pak team: Sohail
PTI, Aug 9, 2010

KARACHI: Pakistan's former Test captain, Aamir Sohail feels the country's most capped player Inzamam-ul Haq is responsible for the dearth of quality batsmen in the national team.

Sohail said by the time Inzamam retired he had disturbed the national team and left it facing numerous problems.

"When Imran Khan retired, he left behind a pack of quality bowlers, when Javed Miandad retired he left behind a legacy of good batsmen but when Inzamam retired he left behind nothing," Sohail said.

Sohail said during Inzamam's tenure as captain, no batsman was allowed to settle down or groomed to take over when the big guns retired.

"Good players like Yasir Hameed, Asim Kamal, Faisal Iqbal, Taufiq Umar or Hasan Reza who had done well in the chances given to them were never allowed to settle down in the team and establish themselves," he explained.

"The result is that today we don't have a ready line of batsmen to replace seniors. That is why I blame Inzamam for the current crisis in the team," Sohail said.

Inzamam, who played 120 Tests and 398 one-day internationals, retired in 2007 after having remained captain since 2003.

Sohail also lashed out at the national selectors and the management of the team for misleading the board into believing that there was enough back up talent to replace experienced players like Muhammad Yousuf, Younis Khan or Faisal Iqbal.

"The truth is they misled the PCB chairman into believing that he could manage the national team without Yousuf and Younis and that is why we are facing problems in England today," Sohail said.

Inzamam to blame for dearth of batting talent in Pak team: Sohail - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India

Ahhh... typical of Pakistan cricket. Blaming each other instead of looking for solutions.

welll hope MY snd YN comeback hope they will send YN sooner than later so we can win test our bowling is perfect they can take out anybatsman at pitch we have won all 4 tests if we scored 250 in each test but we lost 3 and won 1

I think there is some merit in this.

Inzamam was too busy with non cricketing stuff. I think he punished cricketers who didnt agree with his definition of piety.

well Inzi left behind good fast bowlers, Younis n Yousuf :lol:
but honestly i can partially agree, he made the players like a goat who always relied on inzi's performance and after the departure of trio (inzi, y n y) the batting line has been exposed as there is no one left to become the backbone of our new team

vinod 2070 i know what u mean to non cricketing stuff as being a muslim it his and of al muslims first duty to pray which only needs 10 min five times a day alll other time is for cricket and religion Islam has nothing to do anything with inzi cricketing career

vinod 2070 i know what u mean to non cricketing stuff as being a muslim it his and of al muslims first duty to pray which only needs 10 min five times a day alll other time is for cricket and religion Islam has nothing to do anything with inzi cricketing career

It was not being religious per se but the ostentatious display of that religiosity, being preachy (Tablighi Jamaat) and discriminating against those who were not of the same bent of mind.

Inzi himself could perhaps manage it and still do well. But the effect on the team was demoralizing on the whole.

people like Amir sohail. Abdul qadir and sarfraz nawaz have nothing to say other than to criticise one of the best cricketers Pakistan has produced. Its not the duty of Inzi to create backup , it was the PCB and its whole big setup and management who was responsible for creating backup and grooming new talents. but what they are doing other than free family trips with family and choosing teams on their own favoritism and continiuously rejecting and ignoring merit.

It was not being religious per se but the ostentatious display of that religiosity, being preachy (Tablighi Jamaat) and discriminating against those who were not of the same bent of mind.

Inzi himself could perhaps manage it and still do well. But the effect on the team was demoralizing on the whole.

inzi retired 3 years ago. Where the hell PCB has been for last 3 years because they have failed to come up with any kind of backup to fulfill the gap left by inzi. So please you may not like inzi's affiliations and affection with religion but inzi can't be blamed for this whole situation.

inzi retired 3 years ago. Where the hell PCB has been for last 3 years because they have failed to come up with any kind of backup to fulfill the gap left by inzi. So please you may not like inzi's affiliations and affection with religion but inzi can't be blamed for this whole situation.

I agree with that. He was just a part of a much bigger problem but he contributed his mite.

I think he was a good batsman but not a good captaincy material.

I have nothing personal against Inzi or his affiliations. Its only about how it effected Pakistan cricket.

I disagree with Sohail, he is just mad right now, he'll be back in his senses by tomorrow morning.. :yahoo:

Amir was the best selector we had after 2003 world cup. He was able to bring up many good players but he made the mistake of bringing tauqir zia`s son in the team and had to resign on public pressure. He is a tough guy and has an eye for the talent and understands game quite well. he might get the responsibility after this butt era is over.

vinod infact religious impact on the te was marvelous they become more focused and dicsiplined what was yousuf youhana at that time whe he converted to muslim his luck was changed fullly and become the world class batsman

vinod infact religious impact on the te was marvelous they become more focused and dicsiplined what was yousuf youhana at that time whe he converted to muslim his luck was changed fullly and become the world class batsman

Not really. They became none of what you mention here. In fact, they were as undisciplined as ever (remember some bearded cricketers hitting each other with bats that made headlines all over).

Yousuf yohana did convert and there are theories as to why that happened. Let's just leave it at that.

His luck or form had nothing to do with conversion, he became a test cricketer on merit while he was not a Muslim. His form deserted him again and he got into all those controversies after he had converted. None of this had anything to do with his religion, only with his skills and temperament.

If Islam makes you a better cricketer, you would have Pakistan and Bangladesh as the top two teams in the world. All the top records would be with religious Muslim players. Is that the case?

Religion has nothing to do with proficiency in cricket or anything.

Again Religion comes well in my opinion constant choping & changing resulted in this abysmal condition of batting in pakistani team i think selector were responsible for this condition they never gave chance to anyone to settle

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom