What's new

Invading Pakistan? The Worst Idea Yet

@ Legend... I think you are Over Worried Pal.. Take a chill.

Nato's failures to be blamed on Pak... what a logic ? , Invade Pak and this war will not end in a hundred years

no it will end instantly, as we will nuke US and indian sanctuaries in afghanistan, and then nuke them every where middle east even it is saudi arab story closed for them!!! it would be next D-day for them except they will never be close to shore this time..

only cutting off supply is enuf for us to leave them at mercy of talibans who would chew their arses off the next hour..

if US is asking for war we will give them the war..

Last edited:
@ Legend... I think you are Over Worried Pal.. Take a chill.
As a Pakistani, I am concerned for my nation. The scale of challenges and trials that my nation is facing in current times is at astounding levels.

I am sure that you would be concerned for yours too.

The pressures of WOT and natural disasters are making lives difficult for common man here. The economy is in very poor shape and inflation is slowly but surely becoming unbearable.

And to further the tensions, talks of a 'potentially devastating war' are taking place which involves our soil.

And some think that it would be a joke or something? I am trying to give some reality check here.

Due to our continued shortsightedness regarding various forms of threats and challenges, you can see where we stand today.

Wars only bring death and destruction to nations involved. We do not need another one.

Last edited:
Pakistan is not Afghanistan or Iraq. It won't be as easy to control and it is a nuclear-armed state. The population of Pakistan is huge, several times larger than Afghanistan's. The United States cannot afford to send its army there in open conflict, the previous two wars have already cost them dearly. Making Pakistan the scapegoat here can't work, Pakistan can and will retaliate. This isn't the 1960s or 1970s, and we are not Cambodia. No sensible government will pursue this near-suicidal policy.

Logically though fight will be tough... if US is able to throw the goverment and install its own government it is successful.. It can exit your country as and when it wishers without worrying whether country will be stable or not... India has to worry more when this situation happens.. And US doesnt have to worry about your Nuclear weapons any way

Logically though fight will be tough... if US is able to throw the goverment and install its own government it is successful.. It can exit your country as and when it wishers without worrying whether country will be stable or not... India has to worry more when this situation happens.. And US doesnt have to worry about your Nuclear weapons any way

why US has not to worry abt our nuclear weapons??, have we made them for decoration, or decorating taj mehal???whether US throws the govt or not, its army to decide and fight the battle not the govt..

and yes india needs to worry because india maybe be nuked next.. for helping them out, entire india is in our range and dhotis arnt safe anywhere.. now go and plaster your homes with cow dung, for it will holy protect you from our wrath..

LeGenD: Thank you for your posts in this thread. You provide very convincing arguments to support a point of view that I agree with completely.

Invading Pakistan? The Worst Idea Yet

Robert Dreyfuss

Invading Pakistan? The Worst Idea Yet | The Nation
The Nation, December 21, 2010

Two good reporters for the New York Times, Mark Maqzzetti and Dexter Filkins, write today that the United States is preparing for send troops across the border into Pakistan in pursuit of the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and any other bad guys they can find. If there’s a worse idea, I don't know what it is. But it’s at least consistent with Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign statements that he’d carry the war across the border to get Osama bin Laden, remarks that drew horrified opposition from Obama’s election rival, John McCain, the noted dove.

The idea, reported by the Times, isn’t policy yet. Thankfully. Like President Nixon’s decision to expand the war in Vietnam into Cambodia in pursuit of alleged Viet Cong "sanctuaries"—a decision that hugely destabilized Cambodia and led to millions of deaths—a policy of attacking Pakistan would destabilize that country, too, and serve only to push the sanctuaries deeper into Pakistan.

The Times report is already getting pushback and denials all around, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. At the very least, the Times report signifies that the military or the White House is seriously considering the proposal. Following last week’s ersatz review of Afghanistan policy, after which the White House apparently concluded that everything is fine over there except for the fact that the insurgents have bases in Pakistan, it’s not surprising that hawks in the Obama administration are pushing to expand the war.

Reports the Times: "Senior American military commanders in Afghanistan are pushing for an expanded campaign of Special Operations ground raids across the border into Pakistan’s tribal areas, a risky strategy reflecting the growing frustration with Pakistan’s efforts to root out militants there … United States commanders have renewed their push for approval to send American commando teams into Pakistan.

The article is careful to note that the proposal hasn’t been approved, that Obama would have to personally OK it, and that there would at least be a "debate" about it.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the NATO command—not quite the same thing as "United States commanders"—has issued a "sharply worded statement" denying that it’s planning to move into Pakistan. "Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, the deputy chief of staff for communications for the NATO force, said there was 'absolutely no truth’ to reports of planned ground operations by US forces inside Pakistan.

Among the downsides of barging into Pakistan is the fact that if Islamabad becomes too grouchy about the US action, it could slow down or cut off the resupply of American and NATO forces, the vast bulk of which is trucked from Pakistani ports across the Afghanistan border.

Invading mars is a better idea........:victory::victory:

Dear Readers:

Recent news articles reported that U.S. forces were planning to conduct ground operations in Pakistan. The ISAF Deputy Chief of Staff for Communication released the following statement in response to these incorrect reports:

"There is absolutely no truth to reporting in the New York Times that U.S. forces are planning to conduct ground operations into Pakistan. ISAF and U.S. Forces, along with their Afghan partners have developed a strong working relationship with the Pakistan military to address shared security issues,” said RADM Gregory Smith. “This coordination recognizes the sovereignty of Afghanistan and Pakistan to pursue insurgents and terrorists operating in their respective border areas. Cross border coordination has and continues to disrupt and dismantle insurgent networks in select areas, with significant operations on both sides of the border removing large numbers of insurgent leaders and fighters."

In fact; Afghanistan, Pakistan and coalition forces worked together Dec. 23 at a tripartite commission aimed at discussing areas for future cooperation as both Afghanistan and Pakistan seek to build on the 2010 security gains. The news of the Afghanistan-Pakistan-ISAF Tripartite Commission, and other operational updates, was provided today by German Army Brig. Gen. Josef Blotz, International Security Assistance Force spokesman, at a press conference at ISAF Headquarters. “General Sher Mahammed Karimi, Chief of the Afghan General Staff, hosted the meeting,” said Blotz, “that was attended by the ISAF Commander, General David Petraeus, and the Pakistan Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Kayani. The Tripartite meeting has set the scene for even better coordination between the three parties.”According to Brigadier- General Josef Blotz “It was very encouraging to see the openness and constructiveness of the talks, even in the area of intelligence. I look forward to seeing some very well coordinated efforts between Afghanistan, Pakistan, and ISAF in 2011.”

Our growing strategic partnership with Pakistan continues to up root the terrorist and halt their operations, while the US and NATO forces are working night and day to lead Afghanistan towards prosperity and democracy.

Afghanistan, Pakistan, ISAF Military Leaders Seek Future Cooperation | ISAF - International Security Assistance Force

LCDR Bill Speaks,
DET, United States Central Command
CENTCOM

Dear Readers:

Recent news articles reported that U.S. forces were planning to conduct ground operations in Pakistan. The ISAF Deputy Chief of Staff for Communication released the following statement in response to these incorrect reports:

"There is absolutely no truth to reporting in the New York Times that U.S. forces are planning to conduct ground operations into Pakistan. ISAF and U.S. Forces, along with their Afghan partners have developed a strong working relationship with the Pakistan military to address shared security issues,” said RADM Gregory Smith. “This coordination recognizes the sovereignty of Afghanistan and Pakistan to pursue insurgents and terrorists operating in their respective border areas. Cross border coordination has and continues to disrupt and dismantle insurgent networks in select areas, with significant operations on both sides of the border removing large numbers of insurgent leaders and fighters."

In fact; Afghanistan, Pakistan and coalition forces worked together Dec. 23 at a tripartite commission aimed at discussing areas for future cooperation as both Afghanistan and Pakistan seek to build on the 2010 security gains. The news of the Afghanistan-Pakistan-ISAF Tripartite Commission, and other operational updates, was provided today by German Army Brig. Gen. Josef Blotz, International Security Assistance Force spokesman, at a press conference at ISAF Headquarters. “General Sher Mahammed Karimi, Chief of the Afghan General Staff, hosted the meeting,” said Blotz, “that was attended by the ISAF Commander, General David Petraeus, and the Pakistan Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Kayani. The Tripartite meeting has set the scene for even better coordination between the three parties.”According to Brigadier- General Josef Blotz “It was very encouraging to see the openness and constructiveness of the talks, even in the area of intelligence. I look forward to seeing some very well coordinated efforts between Afghanistan, Pakistan, and ISAF in 2011.”

Our growing strategic partnership with Pakistan continues to up root the terrorist and halt their operations, while the US and NATO forces are working night and day to lead Afghanistan towards prosperity and democracy.

Afghanistan, Pakistan, ISAF Military Leaders Seek Future Cooperation | ISAF - International Security Assistance Force

LCDR Bill Speaks,
DET, United States Central Command
CENTCOM

well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all rubbish and internet excitement. No one will invade Pakistan.

no it will end instantly, as we will nuke US and indian sanctuaries in afghanistan, and then nuke them every where middle east even it is saudi arab story closed for them!!! it would be next D-day for them except they will never be close to shore this time..

only cutting off supply is enuf for us to leave them at mercy of talibans who would chew their arses off the next hour..

if US is asking for war we will give them the war..

A better idea is to take the thousands of their military troops in Afghanistan as POWs and then use them as well as Nuke strikes as bargaining chips...

The way things are going we may be left with very few choices like these... I agree with LeGend here... We dont want wars, cant afford them and I think in case a war is imposed on us the retaliation from Pakistan would be devastating for everyone involved (and not so involved)... The reason obviously being that in such a scenario we wont be left with a lot of choices...

It's all rubbish and internet excitement. No one will invade Pakistan.

No one can dare invade Pakistan... If you push someone in the corner, they will obviously fight back... Having cornered someone with nukes is a very very bad idea... The Americans seem to be overlooking this for some reason... They would be very foolish to think that their geography would be of any protection to them...

why US has not to worry abt our nuclear weapons??, have we made them for decoration, or decorating taj mehal???whether US throws the govt or not, its army to decide and fight the battle not the govt..

and yes india needs to worry because india maybe be nuked next.. for helping them out, entire india is in our range and dhotis arnt safe anywhere.. now go and plaster your homes with cow dung, for it will holy protect you from our wrath..

:rofl:

Maar diya yaaro is nay to mujhay... LOL

well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes very well said but its still nonsense...

It was the Americans who pushed the Taliban into Pakistan allowing them to escape... Dont forget that... They came here with a brilliant plan to destablize Pakistan... they are snakes that cannot be trusted at any cost... Always remember that my friend...

certainly well said though... ;)

US invades and Pakistan nukes India & Israel? :what:

If the US were to invade I would think India would remain neutral. I mean if Pakistan felt threatened: nuking India/Israel would probably be the worst thing it could do. All it would achieve is ensure it's destruction.

Or would this be a "If I'm going down I'm taking you with me" kind of situation.

Dude it will also ensure that no one ever dares invade Pakistan because it is not in the interest of anyone to have a nuclear radioactive wasteland where India and Israel used to be... It amazes me that Indians of all people do not understand what people are trying to say...

Back
Top Bottom