What's new

Intermarriage 'major risk factor' in Peterborough child deaths

This was probably a unscientific study. A university professor may measure the height of his first year students in his class every year and see if there is change in their height over the years.

Yeah.. Coz a 4 inch height decrease is alarming.

In India, there's been a definite growth and the average male height is around 5'6 - 5'7 now. Expected due to poverty reduction and better nutrition as compared to when the British left us.

The trouble is not only first cousin marriages. If not cousins, most marriages are among ‘Braderie’ or clan. Kashmiris marrying among the Kashmiris, Arains amont the Arains and Syeds among the Syeds.

Net result is that all among the ‘Braderie’ are closely related. Until 17th / 18th century things were manageable as constant invasions with abducted females used as concubines, ensured a steady in flow of new blood. But after the British conquest this disappeared and now virtually all the Braderi members carry similar genes.

I am a Syed and my family prefer to marry among the Syeds, whether Shia or Sunni. Hence most of my cousins, including third cousins are inter- related through two or three different lines. This is inbreeding to the extreme but a very difficult tradition to overcome.

Yeah.. Coz a 4 inch height decrease is alarming.

In India, there's been a definite growth and the average male height is around 5'6 - 5'7 now. Expected due to poverty reduction and better nutrition as compared to when the British left us.
malnutrition should not be put aside while dealing with cousin marriages

Last edited:
This is inbreeding to the extreme but a very difficult tradition to overcome.

My most cousins married people they met in school/university, work, parties and online. One of my cousin saw a pretty girl in Islamabad shopping center with her family and then secretly followed them while calling his sisters on mobile to drive to her home and talk to her family. They are now married with 2 kids.

malnutrition should be put aside while dealing with cousin marriages

Malnutrition is decreasing in India, We should concentrate about cousin marriage issues.

The trouble is not only first cousin marriages. If not cousins, most marriages are among ‘Braderie’ or clan. Kashmiris marrying among the Kashmiris, Arains amont the Arains and Syeds among the Syeds.

Not every one in the same biradari is related.Arains,syeds,jatts are in millions.There will be many who are not related.Amongst jatts you have so many different clans like cheemas,chattas,bajwas etc.Marriages amongst first cousins generation after generation increases the risk.If you marry someone who is not related even within the same biradari there is less risk.

Not every one in the same biradari is related

Exactly. Many have adopted names indicating their connection to some biradari. For example, many people have taken up family name Khan even they are not Pakhtuns. After the independence of Pakistan many newly arrived Muslims settling in a new environment adopted the names higher social groups. I have seen one brother adopting different family name than the other brother. So all Syeds are not real Syeds.

My most cousins married people they met in school/university, work, parties and online. One of my cousin saw a pretty girl in Islamabad shopping center with her family and then secretly followed them while calling his sisters on mobile to drive to her home and talk to her family. They are now married with 2 kids.

Malnutrition is decreasing in India, We should concentrate about cousin marriage issues.
i agree to disagree that both things are criticle need to address them side by side (talkn abt Pakistan)

I LIVE IN UK.

I can tell you now Inter breeding and children that are not normal and have birth defec in Pakistani community it is a huge problem in uk...

No offence ....but within our sikh culture we have discussed this many many times AS TO WHY YOU PEOPLE practise this.

its not healthy or normal behaviour..

but they will not change they seem to be stuck in a time warp and a culture

I have few family members in UK and none have married their cousins and some have intermarried with English, French, Polish and Irish.

No offence ....but within our sikh culture we have discussed this many many times AS TO WHY YOU PEOPLE practise this.

Its an ancient practice, older civilisations in Middle East practised it to keep wealth within the family, it has been reported in other parts of the world too. Its an out dated practise and should not be followed upon any more. As @waz pointed out, this practice is falling out of fashion for British born Pakistanis, it will take few decades, the old generation are going to put up a fight before they are forced to stop forcing their children to marry their cousins.

Hey not only are we producing vegetables now, some of them are actually dead.
Great going, excellent reward for backwardness.

It is a shame for Pakistanis that cousin marriages happen

Its an ancient practice, older civilisations in Middle East practised it to keep wealth within the family, it has been reported in other parts of the world too. Its an out dated practise and should not be followed upon any more. As @waz pointed out, this practice is falling out of fashion for British born Pakistanis, it will take few decades, the old generation are going to put up a fight before they are forced to stop forcing their children to marry their cousins.

It is disappearing as we speak bro. Like I said, I haven't been to a "cousin" wedding in years....British born Pakistanis tend to find their own partners from university, work and social events.

While it is not forbidden in our religon but it can lead to genetic complications, espicially if done across generations , my grandfather , that is 2 generation ago, used to say 'is say nasal kharab hoti hay' ( This spoils the breed ) , so this has been known for long but still this practice is there

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom