What's new

Inspired by Anna Hazare, Pakistani to fast against corruption

Wonderer

Reaction score
Inspired by Anna Hazare, Pakistani to fast against corruption

NEW DELHI: Taking a cue from Anna Hazare, a 68-year-old Pakistani businessman is set to go on hunger strike in Islamabad from Sep 12 to declare war on endemic corruption in his country.

Expressing his admiration for Hazare, Jehangeeer Akhtar complained that corruption was a far more serious disease in Pakistan.

Activist Akhtar wants the Pakistan parliament to pass an anti-corruption law -- like what India is now planning.

"I demand that an anti-corruption bill be presented in the National Assembly," said Akhtar, who has closely followed the anti-corruption war in India.

He said the Pakistani bill should be on the lines of what gets passed in India's parliament.

"Corruption in Pakistan is more than in India... bahut zyada (much more)," Akhtar told IANS in a telephonic interview from Islamabad where he runs a photography business.

It is not the first time Akhtar will be taking up cudgels for a cause.

"I once sat on a hunger strike for 22 days for the sake of traders in Islamabad," he recalled. It was about tenants being forcibly vacated.

On another occasion, he went on hunger strike for eight days.

Stating that his family does not interfere in his decisions, Akhtar said he was "very determined" to stage the hunger strike.

Apart from corruption, another issue he wants to highlight during his hunger strike is Pakistan's soaring defence budget because of "the mindset that the stability of Pakistan is endangered due to India".

"A group of politicians propagate such mindset. The politicians are answerable ... on which front are we in danger?"

Pakistan has hiked defence allocation to Rs.495 billion in a total budget of Rs.2,504 billion (around $30 billion) for 2011-12.

"Is it not true that we started the 1965 war and lost East Pakistan in 1971 due to our follies?," he asked.

That's not all.

He also wants every district in Pakistan to be provided with infrastructure for education from primary to the intermediate levels with hostels.

Akhtar says he is for a stronger Lokpal Bill for India -- a demand being made by Hazare and his team.

"Indian public kah rahi hai tho hona chahiye (Indians are asking, so it should happen)."

He wants the Indian government to listen to the voice of Indians.

After seeing pictures of large numbers of Indians across the country rally in support of Hazare, Akhtar is convinced that the Gandhian has emerged as a hero.

According to him, there is widespread anger in Pakistan against corruption. A Transparency International Pakistan official said corruption was the root cause of poverty, illiteracy, terrorism, shortage of electricity, and poor governance in Pakistan.

If the Pakistanis didn't take a cue from the Arab "Revolution", they certainly won't take it from someone who's inspired by Anna Hazare.

Pakistani Brothers forget your differences, forget you are Punjabi or pakhtoon, forget you are dark or fair, Forget you are rich or poor.. Fight against corruption, fight against tyrani of Sonias/Zardaris and Nawazs...

Remember we don't want to change regime, we want to change the system... This is the time, Forget our differences.. and jump in Anna/anna type movement...

Jai Hind, Hail Pakistan...

Both are stupid notions. Go for votes instead

Vote will change the regime, one corrupt will go, other corrupt will come... We need to change the system.. We just want a stronger Bill which can tame these corrupt Bas#$$%....

Read here the Jan-Lokpal bill, You pakistani too make a similar bill...

Jan Lokpal Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The same day when every Pakistani starts making fun of his honest attempt to do something for his country.

Quite like what you just did.

as if mr hazaray is not poked at and made fun of.

this is just a gimick and will die down you will see

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Pakistani Brothers forget your differences, forget you are Punjabi or pakhtoon, forget you are dark or fair, Forget you are rich or poor.. Fight against corruption, fight against tyrani of Sonias/Zardaris and Nawazs...

Remember we don't want to change regime, we want to change the system... This is the time, Forget our differences.. and jump in Anna/anna type movement...

Jai Hind, Hail Pakistan...

In my PERSONAL opinion we dont need any stupid mass movement at this hour in Pakistan. nobody hails corruption but anna way is no way to fight it.

Vote will change the regime, one corrupt will go, other corrupt will come... We need to change the system.. We just want a stronger Bill which can tame these corrupt Bas#$$%....

Read here the Jan-Lokpal bill, You pakistani too make a similar bill...

Jan Lokpal Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Demanding a stronger bill through parliament is one thing and going for public stir is another

In my PERSONAL opinion we dont need any stupid mass movement at this hour in Pakistan. nobody hails corruption but anna way is no way to fight it.

Indeed.

I suggest you pick up an Ak-47; call for a direct action day and start executing everyone alleged of corruption.

That, I suppose, would be a better and more democratic way of obliterating corruption.

Indeed.

I suggest you pick up an Ak-47; call for a direct action day and start executing everyone alleged of corruption.

That, I suppose, would be a better and more democratic way of obliterating corruption.

That is NONE of Your Business in the first place.

What we Pakistanis want for our country and resolving our issues is our own internal matter and i see NO Bharati has any right to poke his nose by telling us what he wants for Pakistan.

You Better take care of your own Anna hazaray and his likes that concernes your country Bharat

this is just a gimick and will die down you will see

The thing that is gonna die down is Congress chances of victory in the next election.

but anna way is no way to fight it.

Any better suggestions?
Demanding a stronger bill through parliament is one thing and going for public stir is another
True that in a way we are exploiting democracy here ,though its seems a necessary evil

That is NONE of Your Business in the first place.

What we Pakistanis want for our country and resolving our issues is our own internal matter and i see NO Bharati has any right to poke his nose by telling us what he wants for Pakistan.

You Better take care of your own Anna hazaray and his likes that concernes your country Bharat

Calm down. Your getting worked up won't change the fact that a common Pakistani just got inspired by the struggle of a common Indian and decided to do something for his country.

Instead of making fun of politicians and those who oppose them on an obscure internet forum.

All you can do is make fun of him.

Quite a great service you're doing for your country, I must say.

Calm down. Your getting worked up won't change the fact that a common Pakistani just got inspired by the struggle of a common Indian and decided to do something for his country.

All you can do is make fun of him.

Quite a great service you're doing for your country, I must say.

:)))) nobody has any issue if common ONE Pakistani or One Million Pakistanis are inspired by an Indian.

What all we are debating here is that we DONT Need Emotional political gimick here in Pakistan at this hour .

Its my personal choice to make fun of attention seekers or not you are nobody to give your verdict

khud hi bhooka mary ga yahaan log khud ko agg laga dety hai koi nhi sunta lolz

The thing that is gonna die down is Congress chances of victory in the next election.

That is another issue and "corruption" is not at all in my personal opinion will be reason for Congress defeat if it was in next elections

Any better suggestions?

Political one

True that in a way we are exploiting democracy here ,though its seems a necessary evil

It has nothing to do with democracy as worst movements are going on in countries sans democracy

Back
Top Bottom