What's new

Inscription throws new light to Hindu rule in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inscription throws new light to Hindu rule in Afghanistan

PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Kolkata, Jan 4: A stone inscription in Sanskrit, recovered from the city of Mazar-i-Sharif of northern Afghanistan a few years ago, has thrown new light on the reign of the Hindu Shahi ruler `Veka' in that country.

The recovery and significance of the inscription, telling a story of the Hindu ruler Veka and his devotion to lord `Siva', was told by leading epigraphist and archaeologist Prof Ahmad Hasan Dani of the Quaid-E-Azam University of Islamabad at the ongoing Indian History Congress here.

If historians, preferred to revise the date of the first Hindu Shahi ruler Kallar from 843-850 AD to 821-828 AD, the date of 138 of present inscription, if it refers to the same era, should be equal to 959 AD which falls during the reign of Bhimapala'', Dani said in a paper `Mazar-i Sharif inscription of the time of the Shahi ruler Veka, dated the year 138'', submitted to the Congress.

The inscription, with eleven lines written in `western Sarada' style of Sanskrit of 10th century AD, had several spelling mistakes. ``As the stone is slightly broken at the top left corner, the first letter `OM' is missing'', he said.

According to the inscription, ``the ruler Veka occupied by eight-fold forces, the earth, the markets and the forts. It is during his reign that a temple of Siva in the embrace with Uma was built at Maityasya by Parimaha (great) Maitya for the benefit of himself and his son''.

The inscription was brought from Mazar-i-Sharif, where the tomb of Hazrat Ali, son-in-law of Prophet Mohammed is located, to Pakistan and is currently housed at the Islamabad Museum, Dani said.

Dani said ``the inscription gives the name of the king as Shahi Veka Raja and bestows on him the qualification of `Iryatumatu Ksanginanka'.... and (he) appears to be the same king who bears the name of Khingila or Khinkhila who should be accepted as a Shahi ruler''.

Dani further said ``he may be an ancestor of Veka deva. As his coins are found in Afghanistan and he is mentioned by the Arab ruler Yaqubi, he may be an immediate predecessor of Veka deva...... Both the evidences of inscription and coins suggest that Veka or Vaka should be accepted as an independent ruler of northern Afghanistan.

``Thus we find another branch of the Shahi ruler in northern part of Afghanistan beyond the Hindukush. Veka is said to have conquered the earth, the markets and the forts by his eight-fold forces, suggesting that he must have himself gained success against the Arab rulers of southern Afghanistan''.

Dani observed that going by the findings it seemed that during the rule of the Hindu Shahi ruler Bhimapala there was a break in the dynasty -- one branch, headed by Jayapala, ruled in Lamaghan and Punjab, and another branch, headed by Veka, ruled in northern part of Afghanistan.

``The northern branch must have come to an end by the conquest of Alptigin in the second half of tenth century AD'', he said.

Copyright © 2001 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd.

It's a pathetic attempt by evil, zionists to make it look like we Hindutva terrorists ever had any influence in the world, while in reality we are a submissive race that need external help to rule ourselves. :rofl: ;)

EDIT: I did go overboard there. You guys know that I'm being sarcastic right?

Hindu rule ? Please i don't like such terms , Hindu administration or Hindu history would be better .

Terms like 'rule' along with their religion give orgasm to a very different kind of people . Us Indians ( hindus and otherwise) are better than that .

That could be taken up with the editors of the Indian Express, I myself tend to prefer using the term "Indic history".

This shouldnt come as a surprise. Afghanistan has had a huge Indian influence. It was a Buddhist majority region once.

EzioAltaïr;3466655 said:
It's a pathetic attempt by evil, zionists to make it look like we Hindutva terrorists ever had any influence in the world, while in reality we are a submissive race that need external help to rule ourselves. :rofl: ;)
This is totally correct. india has two official languages: English and hindi. The first comes from your 200 year subjugated by the Anglos. (Many indians are still very proud of this.) The second is a Persian-Turkic language that comes from your 800 year subjugation by Central Asian conquerors like Timur, Ghori and Babur. The hindu civilization lost the Indus River Valley still to this day.

This is totally correct. india has two official languages: English and hindi. The first comes from your 200 year subjugated by the Anglos. (Many indians are still very proud of this.) The second is a Persian-Turkic language that comes from your 800 year subjugation by Central Asian conquerors like Timur, Ghori and Babur. The hindu civilization lost the Indus River Valley still to this day.

Are your slanted eyes the result of your forebears subjugation by the Japs and their subsequent inter-mingling with your race ? See my statement is just as ludicrous as the thrash you typed above

Are your slanted eyes the result of your forebears subjugation by the Japs and their subsequent inter-mingling with your race ? See my statement is just as ludicrous as the thrash you typed above
Racist comment. Low quality and cheap one.

Buddy, make your points with some responsibility. Sorry to say but Post Reported.

Not surprising considering some Hindu texts do have references to places in present day Afghanistan like Gandhara.

Hindi has nothing to do with Persian/Turkic. You confuse it with Urdu (Pakistan's national language), which has some loan words from Farsi(Iran) and Turkish.

It could be that records and social memories were lost with the invasions. Who can say what treasures may have been in the library of Nalanda, say, when it was burned by Khilji in the 12th century?

The great library of Nalanda University was so vast that it is reported to have burned for three months after the invaders set fire to it.

Other signification losses relevant to Indian history were destruction of Library of Nishapur (Iran) by Mongols and Royal library of the Kings of Burma by British.

Not to mention the thousand of other works that were destroyed when various smaller kingdoms were attacked and attempt made to wipe out their history by barbaric Muslim invaders.

Does it mean tht pashtuns were hindus in the past?

Origin of Pushtuns is a bit of a mystery. Pashto is not a Sanskrit-based language. Some people say Pashtuns could have been Jews that migrated from Iran. Iran did have a sizable Jewish community that had been there since pre-Islamic times. A different theory is that the Pashtuns are the "Pakhta" people that are mentioned in the Vedas.

Recall that on the Ashoka pillar that was installed at Kandahar, one of the languages used is Aramaic. So there probably was an Aramaic speaking section of the population in that area. If the Pashtuns are not the Vedic Pakhtas, then it could be that they are descendants of these Aramaic/Jewish people.

asokakandaharet5.jpg

There is a range between Pakistan and Afghanistan called 'Hindukush' It means 'Hindu Killer' So ya this thing has its significance that should not be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom