What's new

Indradhanush 2015 - IAF-RAF Exercise - PHOTOS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly people here need to get their information right before claiming and commenting....as for switching on radars.

Cocidius
on Aug 1, 2015
Tony - any word on if the Indian Flankers were allowed to fully use their
ND11M Bars radar this time around?

Tony Osborne
on Aug 1, 2015
Cocidius, the Indian Air Force said the radars were used on this occasion, no Combat Sent sniffing around this time, it seems!
"no Combat Sent sniffing around this time, it seems!" .. didn't quite get this bit, does it mean no radar capability mapping snoop tech was employed or.. ?

Well I've heard from people who were at RAF Conignsby that the IAF were taking operational security as seriously as ever and their radars would remain off this time around as well.
Not quite this time, here's more and remember SU-30s were flying in clean configuration.
The Flanker pilots were also able to use their thrust-vectoring control (TVC) “super-maneuverability” capability activated by flipping a switch in the cockpit. One pilot told that they had used the yaw capability of the TVC to remain inside the tight turn radius of the Typhoon in order to keep the Typhoon in missile launch parameters.

Well I've heard from people who were at RAF Conignsby that the IAF were taking operational security as seriously as ever and their radars would remain off this time around as well.
The Russian birds also probably come with a set of riders to go along with their tech just as the Americans do with their F-16s to Pakistan, which, and correct me if I'm wrong @Windjammer , I think are prohibited to partake in any Chinese war games.

Pretty cool that an aircraft without TVC is able to fly such extraordinary tight turns.

Firstly people here need to get their information right before claiming and commenting....as for switching on radars.

Cocidius
on Aug 1, 2015

Tony Osborne
on Aug 1, 2015
Cocidius, the Indian Air Force said the radars were used on this occasion, no Combat Sent sniffing around this time, it seems!
Would be interesting to see a Red Flag style expose with the radar even if real capabilities are still kept chained.

Pretty cool that an aircraft without TVC is able to fly such extraordinary tight turns.
How extraordinary?

Well this is what I have heard and what makes you think the Typhoons weren't in clean configurations themselves?

Cheap shots.
You people are so touchy hence i tend not to post comments.
One just needs to look at the pictures, those drop tanks can and do make a lot of difference. (the typhoons have just drop tanks fitted - surely that can't help the 'ol turn radius!)

You people are so touchy hence i tend not to post comments.
One just needs to look at the pictures, those drop tanks can and do make a lot of difference. (the typhoons have just drop tanks fitted - surely that can't help the 'ol turn radius!)
The MKI has immense internal fuel capacity hence doesn't need drop tanks, the EFT does then that is their problem.

(the typhoons have just drop tanks fitted - surely that can't help the 'ol turn radius!)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

COPYCAT!

rabidpeach
on Jul 31, 2015
why are all the pictures showing the flankers without ordinance? Do they fly empty and just paint with sensors for kills or did they test the "super"- maneuverability with a typical load also? (also the typhoons have just drop tanks fitted?? - surely that can't help the 'ol turn radius!)

The MKI has immense internal fuel capacity hence doesn't need drop tanks, the EFT does then that is their problem.
It could still sustain the turn with extra weight and drag, the MKI OTOH, even in clean configuration had to engage TVC to maintain the turn, imagine a loaded MKI. !!!!
Anyways, just wait for the results.

Cocidius
on Aug 1, 2015

Tony Osborne
on Aug 1, 2015
There is no radar called ND11M Bars,

Next who is Cocidius and tony, . NO11 has 3 modes to operate at, one being training mode where the RMS o/p of emitters are a lowered percentage. Mode is effective enough to track at shorter ranges targets limited number of targets,

Radars almost being the single most important factor in aerial combat, I wonder how effective these war games with the US/UK really are when both sides always impose handicaps on their true capabilities. I guess it must only be during exercises with the Russian air force when IAF can go all out and get to try 'real' tactics ?

So in a sense, the Pakistanis would stand to gain much more valuable experience from a red flag exercise with the US for instance, than we do.

thoughts ?

@gambit .. maybe you can chip in too wrt these self imposed handicaps when the USAF trains with other non NATO countries

@Windjammer what do you think, please don't troll.. real discussion only.

@MilSpec

Not really,
Most of the times exercises are to simulate certain combat scenarios, which govern the rules of engagement. Joint combat exercises and drills are to study certain engagement situation... their results are only valid in those constrained situations.

The main objective is to study calibrated approach tactics of participants in the given engagement scenario....

tumblr_nsepviba2x1tjfjuco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsepviba2x1tjfjuco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsepviba2x1tjfjuco6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsepviba2x1tjfjuco4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsepviba2x1tjfjuco7_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsepviba2x1tjfjuco8_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsepviba2x1tjfjuco10_1280.jpg

tumblr_nsepviba2x1tjfjuco9_1280.jpg

There is no radar called ND11M Bars,

Next who is Cocidius and tony, . NO11 has 3 modes to operate at, one being training mode where the RMS o/p of emitters are a lowered percentage. Mode is effective enough to track at shorter ranges targets limited number of targets,

Cocidius is the Air Chief Marshal of the RAF and Tony is a Glaswegian Taxi-Driver who tries to pass himself off as an Aviation Expert.

Most exercises (including this one) utilise "Trg. Mode" on their Radars. They are not "dick-measuring contests".
But BTW; you need to read-up on "BVR mode" as distinct from "WVR mode" that our Windy Joe said in his inimitable windbreaking style on the other thread about JF-17 being able to shoot-down F-35s. :D
Dunno if the Pilots in Indradhanush 2015 threw the switches on their panels to "BVR Mode" or "WVR Mode" during their ACMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom