What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

I don't think that's an F16.
mig-29-5257251.jpg

Mig 29? But how?
Rented Mig for simulation purposes?

Its probably just for illustration purposes, just because the photo is in the article doesn't mean its the photo of the actual event

Prabowo begins first US visit after lifting of entry ban
15th Oct 2020 21:59
Prabowo begins first US visit after lifting of entry ban

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Indonesian Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto began a five-day visit to the US on Thursday, his first since the US lifted its entry ban on him.

“Mr. Prabowo will have activities in the US from today till October 19, 2020. He will speak on defense cooperation between the US and Indonesia,” spokesperson for the Indonesian Defense Ministry, Dahnil Anzar Simanjuntak, said in a written statement released on Thursday.

The visit is designed to extend various areas of cooperation the two nations have established so far, he added.

While in the US, Prabowo will meet with many parties, particularly those related to defense, Simanjuntak said.

He said he was not concerned about other parties rejecting and criticizing Prabowo's visit to the US. "I think it is not a problem. Mr. Prabowo was once denied (entry to the US) and (faced) various accusations, while he was (part of the) state apparatus and a politician. We respect that," he observed.

Prabowo is visiting the US at the invitation of its government to discuss ways to strengthen defense cooperation between the two countries, he added.

It was reported earlier that US President Donald Trump will receive the Indonesian Defense Minister at the Pentagon on Friday (October 16, 2020), after the lifting of the US entry ban on Prabowo on charges of human rights violations.

Prabowo will meet with US Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper, during his visit.

A senior US defense official has defended the decision to receive Prabowo at the Pentagon.

"Minister Prabowo is a defense minister appointed by the President elected twice in Indonesia, the world's third largest democratic country," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

"He is our partner, from a very important partnership. It is important for us to get engaged with him and treat him as a partner," the official added.

Prabowo, one-time commander of the special elite force, has been a controversial figure in Indonesia for quite a long time. He was once accused of being involved in military crimes.

Related news: RI-Sweden cooperation to have impact on defense industry development
Related news: Indonesian defense minister invited to visit US on Oct 15-19
Related news: President seeks systematic defense investment policy

Translated by: Syaiful Hakim/Suharto
Editor: Sri Haryati

This is in Surabaya and the other submarine base is located in Palu, both is under koarmada 2 and it's a bit too far from Natuna.

Natuna doesn't have adequate facilities for Submarine

SAMPT and Scorpene
A bit concerned about that Indian Scorpene leak. But looking at this table from Australian sub competition few years ago, Scorpene seems like the best choice afterall.
Australia_RAN_Sea_1000_submarine_collins_replacement_Soryu_2.jpg

Which one they choose though, littoral or oceanic version?

Let's say that only from my knowledge of the metallurgy aspect section that really shoud be allready within our manufacturing capabilities ...on why we haven't even produce some article as yet ?? I guess you should even know it better than i do ... 😂😂

Count me out when it comes to Electronic field territory ... 🙏🙏

In term of metallurgy, our industrial capabilities is at the bottom of the barrel. And don't expect things to get any better at least for the next decade or so. So don't dream about locally made gun barrel steel either or other more advance products such as ballpoint (yes ballpoint for writing on paper) or turbine blades.

While in semi conductor field I will say it is best staying as end user customer for any foreseeable future, we simpli do not have the expertise let alone any capability to even assemble the tools & machineries

In term of metallurgy, our industrial capabilities is at the bottom of the barrel. And don't expect things to get any better at least for the next decade or so. So don't dream about locally made gun barrel steel either or other more advance products such as ballpoint (yes ballpoint for writing on paper) or turbine blades.

While in semi conductor field I will say it is best staying as end user customer for any foreseeable future, we simpli do not have the expertise let alone any capability to even assemble the tools & machineries

Dude , i'm know what i'm tallk about 'cause i'm the field guy . The only reason we haven't made those was there isn't a good incentives enough in the economical scale since everybody decide either simply imported the things from china for a price bargain or nobody even bother to compete with the SoE !
I've seen with my own eyes how a 2nd rate company in tangerang made their own 4 axis pipe bending CNC machinery from scratch !! Buying whatever parts they could find in Glodok and foundry all over jabotabek . Their only hurdle is , finding a competent enough IT coding operator to make the programs running without a hitch . And all the 4 prototype are working fine enough within the the accepted parameter . After spending almost Rp . 700 mill a piece and a year of trial and error they finally give up.. why ?? Between 450-500 imported product and locally 600 mill price range it's no brainer who would the consumer would choose anyway .
It's never about the capability ... It's the economic scales of thing that hampering our endeavour in upping the ante . We are simply couldn't go head to head with the chinese bulking prices . Not to mention most of our capable metalurgist are working for a foreign entity..
like it or not Only SoE were capable to take such endeavour . It's only their working ethic left much to be desired ..
And to be honest ... Until Krakatau steel was ready to invest we are not going to see a locally mass product of industrialized forged steel anytime soon .

Last edited:
A bit concerned about that Indian Scorpene leak. But looking at this table from Australian sub competition few years ago, Scorpene seems like the best choice afterall.
Australia_RAN_Sea_1000_submarine_collins_replacement_Soryu_2.jpg

Which one they choose though, littoral or oceanic version?
After Indian Scorpene leaks, Naval Group change some specifications and features for new Scorpenes

Back
Top Bottom