What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Well, our engineers have already been in Korea since the start of designing process which is in 2011 where we sent 52 engineers/experts. As in 2019 July, Dapa Korea said there are 114 Indonesian engineers working in KAI and contributing on the design. September 2019 was CDR meeting which suggest design process has already been almost completed.

Our engineers (read: designers) left in March 2020 where prototype manufacturing has been commenced. So actually we have already had valuable design experience for STEALTH fighter design. The next thing is to send production engineers that hasnt been sent yet until now.

I would say we have already had that valuable design experience where we design the planes with South Korean and also American later, but It is morally not right if we left the program after such intense cooperation and experience exist.

This program should be a way to make two nations get close together and become strategic partners, but with this drama and unreasonable demand from Indonesian side it look like we stab our best friend in the back after we are successfully hunting a deer together and eat the meat.

Source:

Indonesia Defense Ministry official website

Korean media quoting Dapa official

I mean, I'm not suggesting that Indonesians are back stabbing or anything because, like I've said, there have been countless cases where partner nation(s) of a joint development program quit mid course. If they feel that they could get a more favorable term elsewhere, it is not a choice but an obligation for someone using taxpayer money to do so. It's only that I am doubtful if such thing (more favorable deal than KF-X/IF-X) exists due to the high-tech and therefore strategic nature of fighter jet technology.

Also, detailed design phase is only a part of the whole EMD phase as you would know. If there's anything I could be assured of, fixing the problems which are found during the actual testing is just as important as the designing of an aircraft and it is one of the most important ability of an engineer. Hence the reason we differentiate the TRL of 6 from 7 and 7 from 8.

Furthermore, not having the production engineers like you've mentioned is imo a bigger problem for Indonesia when it comes to gaining knowledge because from my impression, the Indonesian engineers already have quite an experience designing a subsonic aircraft. It is the QC that Indonesia has had problems before, cracks found on the fuselage of CN-235M of ROKCG being one of the examples.

The ability to assure high standards of QC is the key to expand Indonesia's aerospace industry beyond what it is today (supplying main wing leading edge structures for 2 Airbus aircrafts, one of which being phased out next year) because countries other than those few in Europe and Americas all rely on the parts supply and RSP to keep a big part of their aerospace industry alive. This has been the case for Israel, Japan, Turkey, SK and a few other. To a certain extent this is even true for those with an established aerospace industry like Canada and Brazil. One thing in common is that these countries all have high enough QC standards to meet Boeing, Airbus, GE, PW, RR, etc 's demands to supply them with critical components and take part in their development programs as RSP.

If Indonesia wants to expand its customers from just Airbus to also include Boeing, Bombardier, etc and manufacture more critical products like main wing structure or body sections for more models, it would need a bigger leap in its abilities to assure QC. Having the production engineers in Korea and getting few Korean engineers to help them out back in Indonesia (I would be surprised if this doesn't happen during the program, shall both countries continue together) would without a doubt be extremely helpful in realizing such higher standards.

There are some automation going on in KF-X manufacturing line as well, so that's also what the Indonesian production engineers could benchmark.

This is huge "possible" corruption case going on for Apache acquisition. It is the investigation from BPK. I wonder why it took so long to investigate it ???? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audit_Board_of_Indonesia

1614122861424.png

The Audit Board of Indonesia (Indonesian: Badan Pemeriksa Keuangan Republik Indonesia, literally Financial Audit Board of the Republic of Indonesia) is a high state body which is responsible for evaluation of management and accountability of state finances conducted by the central Government of Indonesia, local governments, Bank Indonesia, state-owned enterprises, the Public Service Board, and institutions or other entities which manage state finances.

Last edited:
Despite Rafale Jets, Indonesia Will Not Pull Out Of KF-X Fighter Jet Program – South Korea

DAPA has insisted that Indonesia is still committed to the KF-X fighter jet program, jointly initiated by the two nations, amid reports of Jakarta looking to procure French-made Dassault Rafales and Boeing’s latest F-15EX fighter jets.

Indonesia’s plan to buy dozens of fighter aircraft from France and the United States is unrelated to its joint venture with Korea to develop an indigenous fighter jet, Seoul’s arms procurement agency said on Sunday.

Responding to the announcement, DAPA stressed the F-15EX and Rafale jet purchase plan seemed to be part of the Indonesian Air Force’s efforts to plug gaps in its defense capabilities, noting it was a “separate matter” from the ongoing KF-X development project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Indonesian Airforce admin did exactly as I would have and even commented on it previously once that it was better to mix it up.

buying new fleet and building new fleet simultaneously. The Airforce has a capable fleet currently as it stands so Rafael and F-15EX wouldn't provide much of an edge but they will provide magnitude and strengthen the overall airforce. The KFX-fighter is not ready until 2029s or 2030s so it's key to bolster airforce in the maintime. plus it's good having different type of fleet

Despite Rafale Jets, Indonesia Will Not Pull Out Of KF-X Fighter Jet Program – South Korea

DAPA has insisted that Indonesia is still committed to the KF-X fighter jet program, jointly initiated by the two nations, amid reports of Jakarta looking to procure French-made Dassault Rafales and Boeing’s latest F-15EX fighter jets.

Indonesia’s plan to buy dozens of fighter aircraft from France and the United States is unrelated to its joint venture with Korea to develop an indigenous fighter jet, Seoul’s arms procurement agency said on Sunday.

Responding to the announcement, DAPA stressed the F-15EX and Rafale jet purchase plan seemed to be part of the Indonesian Air Force’s efforts to plug gaps in its defense capabilities, noting it was a “separate matter” from the ongoing KF-X development project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Indonesian Airforce admin did exactly as I would have and even commented on it previously once that it was better to mix it up.

buying new fleet and building new fleet simultaneously. The Airforce has a capable fleet currently as it stands so Rafael and F-15EX wouldn't provide much of an edge but they will provide magnitude and strengthen the overall airforce. The KFX-fighter is not ready until 2029s or 2030s so it's key to bolster airforce in the maintime. plus it's good having different type of fleet

That article uses Korean one that has already been posted much earlier. KFX/IFX program is about to roll out the first prototype in April inshaAllah and planned maiden flight in 2022 where the mass production is planned to happen in 2026. For comparison, F15 get mass produced just 8 months after its maiden flight in July 1972.

Any way there is new development coming from Air Force. About the type of fighters, they said it lets to Defense Ministry to decide. Air Force also said the priority is to fill squadron which planes are already grounded which is F 5 squadron. So possibly we only buy 8 F 15 E from United States for period of 2021-2024 since it is basically a replacement of the need to acquire SU 35. So heavy fighter is replaced by heavy fighter. For your information, previously we have already decided to buy SU 35 but due to CATSA we are likely going to scrap that deal.

Rafale in the other hand is expensive (cost compare to capability) and has similar class with KFX/IFX while KFX/IFX has already semi-STEALTH and has program to make the airplane to be full STEALTH in the near future (Block 2).

Block 2 of KFX/IFX is being developed already

1614207036172.png

1614207138405.png

Last edited:
To know more about F 15 EX

To know more about F 15 EX

I was looking for something like this an extensive info on this

This is huge "possible" corruption case going on for Apache acquisition. It is the investigation from BPK. I wonder why it took so long to investigate it ???? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audit_Board_of_Indonesia

View attachment 719384

The Audit Board of Indonesia (Indonesian: Badan Pemeriksa Keuangan Republik Indonesia, literally Financial Audit Board of the Republic of Indonesia) is a high state body which is responsible for evaluation of management and accountability of state finances conducted by the central Government of Indonesia, local governments, Bank Indonesia, state-owned enterprises, the Public Service Board, and institutions or other entities which manage state finances.

Ohh... how surprised I am to hear this...

I will bet with anyone that in every govt project corruption (big or small) does happen, it's part of the "normality" in the system.

Motorcycle rider get kicked by Presidential security force (Paspampres) when they tried to penetrate a road that at that time being closed, near Presidential Palace.

KFX/IFX program update

View attachment 721169
View attachment 721170
View attachment 721171

Wiih.. 😲😲 Sang KFX sudah berdikari nih...!
Definitely need to stay in this project!

Wiih.. 😲😲 Sang KFX sudah berdikari nih...!
Definitely need to stay in this project!

Alhamdulillah the program progress is quite good. Just look 3 prototypes are being manufactured. Sadly Indonesian engineers cannot participate at this manufacturing stage since they havent come back to South Korea since their departure in March 2020. Although for this stage we should send production engineers (part manufacturer/assembling/integration), not designers anymore.

Last edited:
Jokowi is invited to attend the KFX/IFX roll out ceremony in April inshaAllah according to KAI official. On the other hand, Parliament Chairman and Commission 1 Chairman are also invited according to Korea ambassador.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom