What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Indonesian defence minister proposes to receive USD20 billion in foreign credit for 2020–24
by Ridzwan Rahmat

Indonesia’s Minister of Defence, Prabowo Subianto, has forwarded a proposal for the country to receive up to USD20 billion in defence-related foreign credit and assistance schemes for the period spanning 2020–24.

Among programmes that may be funded via the proposed foreign defence credits include two follow-on warships to the Martadinata-class frigates. (Damen)

Among programmes that may be funded via the proposed foreign defence credits include two follow-on warships to the Martadinata-class frigates. (Damen)
The proposal was sent to the Indonesian Minister of National Development Planning, and Head of the National Development Planning Agency, Suharso Monoarfa, on 13 July 2020. A copy of the letter was received by Janes in early September 2020.

The foreign credit and assistance schemes will be used to fund acquisition programmes for all three branches of the Indonesian Armed Forces between 2020–24, the defence minister indicated.

Among possible big-ticket acquisitions that may be funded with the foreign credit include 24 Lockheed Martin F-16V fighter aircraft and two follow-on warships to the Indonesian Navy’s (Tentara Nasional Indonesia – Angkatan Laut: TNI-AL) Martadinata (SIGMA 10514)-class frigates.

The request was made against the backdrop of a nearly IDR9 trillion (USD588 million) cut to the country’s defence budget for 2020. The reduction has been made partly in response to the ongoing Covid-19 outbreak, which has severely damaged the country’s economy.

"Possible big ticket acquisition" in this article doesn't even mention Deltard aircrafts, well well

"Possible big ticket acquisition" in this article doesn't even mention Deltard aircrafts, well well
Well, it doesn't mention these too:
- iver
- osprey
- dsme 1400 (we are all already know this got pln)
- f16 eda
So everything still can happen.

not to mention no one call Indonesia ordered Astros II for second time until the batches came into our port although the deals involved hundred millions US dollar value. And no one calls Indonesian Air Force ordered N212i for 9 units too

Still, I doubt it will be full lightning purchace.
MIX lightning + Viper + Falcon EDA, i hope..

We Indonesian are pretty much more responsible, more accountable, more democratic and Pursue economy development compared to the past. But with our newly growing economy and wealth we need tools, mean and arms to safeguarding our citizen and economy progress. There is no other way

Your post has pretty much similar tone with him..
Well, I mean he's not wrong tho. There's already sign for it since March

The key of acquiring this fighter is regional stability remembering we almost bombed Aussie & Singapore in the past.

And also bluebook too:azn:

Well, I mean he's not wrong tho. There's already sign for it since March

The key of acquiring this fighter is regional stability remembering we almost bombed Aussie & Singapore in the past.

And also bluebook too:azn:
Bappenas bluebook isn't released yet and there will be much revelations on rumours circulated lately

Your post has pretty much similar tone with him..
Aussie almost bombed Jakarta as well in east timor incidents. As of Singapore there are few things we in disagreemant with them and some old and recent wounds that hasnt been healed fully yet. US might agree to give us lightning but if those two rejects then it might not happen. Those 2 harbour US logistics hub and have US marine deployed, I dont believe US would jeoperdize that kind of infrastructure unless we are willing to balance it abit.

The way I see it the rejection most likely might come from Sing. Our FIR dispute might be use as theirs/ours bargaining chip. Tho if we really want the lightning I do believe we can get it with strong diplomacy as our strategic position can be a great bargaining chip if somehow (amit-amit) LCS come into full fledge war.

Back
Top Bottom