What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Russia to deepen ties with
RI under Jokowi

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | World | Fri, October 03 2014, 10:34 AM

Russia believes that bilateral relations with Indonesia will strengthen under the presidency of Joko “Jokowi” Widodo. Jokowi is scheduled to be installed on Oct. 20, replacing incumbent President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, whom Russian ambassador Mikhail Galuzin said enjoyed close relations with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin.

“Russia thanks [President] Yudhoyono for maintaining good bilateral relations. He has a warm attitude,” Galuzin told The Jakarta Post on Thursday at his residence in South Jakarta.

He said the close relationship between Putin and Yudhoyono was especially evident in Bali in 2013, when Yudhoyono performed a memorable guitar and voice rendition of “Happy Birthday” to honor Putin on his 61st birthday in front of 19 international leaders during the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Nusa Dua.

Galuzin said that close ties between the two nations could be seen in increased cooperation across various sectors, ranging from education and culture to military and the economy. In the education sector, this year the Russian government awarded 125 scholarships to Indonesian students to study at 24 universities across Russia, double the number in 2013.

Meanwhile, bilateral trade between the two nations has reached US$3 billion. Galuzin, who has led the Russian embassy since Oct. 2012, said military cooperation was also tightening between the two countries.

The Indonesian Air Force, for example, contains a squadron with 16 Russian-produced Sukhoi Su-27/30 heavy jet fighters.
The Indonesian Navy’s Marine Corps, meanwhile, operates 54 BMP-3F amphibious infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) and one BREM-L recovery vehicle that are also Russian-made.

Galuzin said that he was especially proud to see eight Su-27/30 jet fighters included in the 32-jet flyover that occurred on Aug. 17 during Indonesia’s 69th Independence Day ceremony at the Presidential Palace. He added that he believed ties would strengthen after Jokowi was sworn in as the seventh president of Indonesia, which is the world’s third largest democracy.

Galuzin said that he appreciated the smooth transitions of power that had characterized the young democracy since the end of the Soeharto regime in 1998. “Jokowi gives a positive signal to the international community. Other countries can also learn from Indonesia’s peaceful elections,” he said, adding that Jokowi, like Yudhoyono, had a warm attitude.

The Jakarta governor, who grew up in a slum area in Surakarta, Central Java, enjoys close relations with the people, especially those from less privileged backgrounds. Such can be seen in Jokowi’s frequent use of blusukan, or impromptu visits, which he popularized while leading Surakarta as its 16th mayor and Jakarta as its 15th governor.

Galuzin said that under Jokowi’s administration, Russia was ready to deepen ties with Indonesia. The two nations first exchanged diplomatic representatives in 1954. Five years later, relations strengthened when then president Sukarno visited Moscow. In 1960, Nikita Khrushchev, the Soviet leader, returned the favor on a visit to Jakarta. (alz)

Russia to deepen ties with RI under Jokowi | The Jakarta Post

except the facts we are still using Soviet era armor and weapons till this very day, oh gosh, i would love if they parading M101, M202 howitzer along with AMX-13, Saracen, Ferret, BRDM, BTR-40 and so on.

ironically enough, China would be the place for all of one's land force weapon needs. But don't worry, we don't mind people using our weapons against us, as long as you paid for that bullet.

Kopassus special force basic training : prisoner camp survival training.
View attachment 106122

That's hardcore.

It's just coincidence really. Some outside observer sees our rearmament & assume it was as a reaction to the Chinese.

The Chinese equation is irrelevant. Objectively, Indonesia needed to modernize and possibly even increase her defense expenditure. At her size, she only spends 1% of her GDP on national defense. It should be raised , at least, to 1.5%.

That's hardcore.

The Chinese equation is irrelevant. Objectively, Indonesia needed to modernize and possibly even increase her defense expenditure. At her size, she only spends 1% of her GDP on national defense. It should be raised , at least, to 1.5%.

if only i am in charge, i would put national defense expenditure at 2 to 3 % of GDP of my country and taking them as National insurance and invest.

if only i am in charge, i would put national defense expenditure at 2 to 3 % of GDP of my country and taking them as National insurance and invest.

If Indonesia were to raise the defense expenditure to 3%, that would bring it to around $25 Billion per year. :)

I want Indonesia to have one of the largest, most modern, most powerful navy in Southeast Asia. I think that she will be a guarantor of peace and stability in the South Pacific, and a relatively peaceful nation. I want Japan to invest more into this country, help develop her energy industry, manufacturing arm as well as foster greater people-to-people relations. Japan should also invest in a R&D partnership with Indonesia.

Last edited:
If Indonesia were to raise the defense expenditure to 3%, that would bring it to around $25 Billion per year. :)

I want Indonesia to have one of the largest, most modern, most powerful navy in Southeast Asia. I think that she will be a guarantor of peace and stability in the South Pacific, and a relatively peaceful nation. I want Japan to invest more into this country, help develop her energy industry, manufacturing arm as well as foster greater people-to-people relations. Japan should also invest in a R&D partnership with Indonesia.

haha thanks for the compliment

Gladi TNI (Indonesian National Armed Forces) Anniversaries, credit to ARC and original uploader
gladi TNI1.jpg

gladi TNI2.jpg

gladi TNI3.jpg

Old News, but still useful and havent been posted anyway

LAPAN to develop drone,
rockets for Army

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | National | Wed, January 22 2014, 6:48 AM

The National Aeronautics and Space Agency (LAPAN) and the Army signed an agreement on Tuesday to develop national defense technologies in a bid to reduce the import of military equipment. Among the technologies to be developed by LAPAN are unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), missiles, rockets and remote sensing.

“LAPAN’s capabilities are very useful and will benefit the Army. We will use the technologies for surveying and aerial mapping, geospatial intelligence and monitoring regional security,” said Army chief of staff Gen. Budiman during the signing ceremony of the memorandum of understanding (MoU) at the force’s headquarters in Jakarta.He said that the Army had planned to utilize UAV technology for border surveillance.

The technologies would not only be useful for “modern warfare” but also disaster relief efforts as well as to tackle smuggling and terrorism, Budiman added. “The Army is expected to be the at the forefront in the efforts to tackle the so-called fourth-generation war in the region,” he said.

In the agreement, the Army has also agreed to disburse Rp 3.5 billion (US$288,445) to help finance LAPAN’s research.
“Developing national defense and military technologies are also important to protect national intelligence,” he said.
LAPAN head Bambang Tedjakusuma said that the agency had already researched numerous technologies that could be developed to meet the Army’s needs, such as precise missiles as well as an integrated remote sensing database, space science and atmosphere technology

LAPAN to develop drone, rockets for Army | The Jakarta Post

Indonesian Air Force to Build More Airbases

Today 12:21
The Indonesian Air Force is surveying some locations to build two air bases in West Papua province, stated Commander of Manuhua Air Base, Biak, Papua, Colonel Gustav Brugman.

"The potential locations for these two air bases are in Sorong and Manokwari districts," he stated as quoted by Antara News.

The commander emphasized that the construction of the two air bases in West Papua is important for the nation, especially for the Indonesian Air Force, in order to ensure the accomplishment of the mission to secure the airspace of Papua and West Papua.

Colonel Gustav was confident that the survey will yield positive results to be considered by the Indonesian Air Force to operate the air base in Manokwari and Sorong.

"The realization of the construction will be determined according to the decision taken by the Indonesian Air Force Headquarters. Geographically, Sorong and Manokwari need the air bases," he stated.

According to Gustav, the Sorong and Manokwari district administrations fully support the plan to build the air bases by preparing the land where the construction will be carried out.

The Manuhua Air Base is responsible for securing Papua's airspace spanning Nabire, Yapen and Waropen, Manokwari, Sorong, and other districts in the province.

http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2014/10...-More-Airbases

we need them to securing our most Eastern provinces flank

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom