What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Older officers fight for uniforms for the same reason why they keep pushing for bigger guns and bigger tanks instead of AT assets and smarter weapons.

Like old people in Indonesian civil society, they don't like change. Keep in mind that these people grew up in the Cold War. A time when people generally knew who their enemies are and are driven towards a singular leader instead of being individuals. They're scared that their role in society and life are being usurped. They know their time is almost up and for most older folk they can't come to terms with it. Hell I pissed off a few people in my job by just merely existing. They can't stand the idea of people who are younger than them being better than them at their jobs. It's the same in every generation.

Speaking of camos though. I honestly think we have wayyy too much. It's one thing to have branch specific camos. But it's another thing to have different camos for every small deviation. For example, I don't think KOSTRAD and Kopassus should have their own camos when patches and insignias work better and are cheaper. To me it just screams of the ever existent 'parade army' mentality that is prevalent among incompetent armies.
I know that Orde Lama era kind of diverse and un-standardized camo is one huge logistical problem, that first realized by LB Moerdani, who made the DPM standart PDL camo for all of the Armed Forces. I do wanted TNI to keep this principle to an extent, that at least they choose one of the new camo as the new standart camo, NKRI or the Kostrad one as the main candidate. As far as i know, not all Kostrad personnels are equipped with this new camo and gear, but only for the one with Linud classification, the rest perhaps given the NKRI one. They should either standardize the whole Kostrad with the Linud camo, OR the NKRI camo, but keeps the tactical gears, with slight change in color depending on their camo choice.

AFAIK, all Kopassus, Kostrad and other branch personnel still have the common DPM camo in their wardrobe, and these diverse camo are just a complement (a very tricky logistically inefficient complement) to their existing gears. In inter branch operation like Latgab and operasi gabungan, they wears the standart DPM camo as you can see in many of media coverage of their operation, and sometimes wears tactical jackets and gears like the one used by Marder Mechanized Infantry battalion and the Brimob personnel in Papua. At some points after 2014, there must be some misunderstanding or lack of coordination within the Army regarding these new gears, perhaps due to the fact that commanders of various Army branches can decide to order and procure gears for their soldiers on their own without having to strictly obey the rule for standardization from the Army high command.

I don't see them as breaking the already established standardization rule (well, all of them still have the DPM, maybe it's in the rules?), as i think they see it as a normal thing for branches to have their own distinctive uniform as a part of their identity, like the Marines with their macan tutul and Kopassus with Darah Mengalir. But, the problem is that they prioritize these distinctive camo above issuing newer standardized uniforms, and it create a confusing situation regarding the future of the Army's standart camo. Well, at least they buy modern tactical gears along with the new uniforms, so at least we only have the problem with the camo. My view is that, they waste money on something that they themselves are not certain of when or where they will wear it, and they buy it even though it does not completely replacing the older one, as they still keep the old one and wears it regularly along with the new one, so they have two kinds of PDLs in their wardrobes, while in real situation they will certainly only need one and will certainly stick to it.

The new Army staffs should realize this and fix this problem ASAP, by both issuing the NKRI PDLs (or anything better than the DPM) as the new standart camo to replace DPMs, and may or may not allows branches to issue unique camo for it's soldier for as long as it doesn't mess up the purpose of standardization and the logistics in real operation.

I know that Orde Lama era kind of diverse and un-standardized camo is one huge logistical problem, that first realized by LB Moerdani, who made the DPM standart PDL camo for all of the Armed Forces. I do wanted TNI to keep this principle to an extent, that at least they choose one of the new camo as the new standart camo, NKRI or the Kostrad one as the main candidate. As far as i know, not all Kostrad personnels are equipped with this new camo and gear, but only for the one with Linud classification, the rest perhaps given the NKRI one. They should either standardize the whole Kostrad with the Linud camo, OR the NKRI camo, but keeps the tactical gears, with slight change in color depending on their camo choice.

AFAIK, all Kopassus, Kostrad and other branch personnel still have the common DPM camo in their wardrobe, and these diverse camo are just a complement (a very tricky logistically inefficient complement) to their existing gears. In inter branch operation like Latgab and operasi gabungan, they wears the standart DPM camo as you can see in many of media coverage of their operation, and sometimes wears tactical jackets and gears like the one used by Marder Mechanized Infantry battalion and the Brimob personnel in Papua. At some points after 2014, there must be some misunderstanding or lack of coordination within the Army regarding these new gears, perhaps due to the fact that commanders of various Army branches can decide to order and procure gears for their soldiers on their own without having to strictly obey the rule for standardization from the Army high command.

I don't see them as breaking the already established standardization rule (well, all of them still have the DPM, maybe it's in the rules?), as i think they see it as a normal thing for branches to have their own distinctive uniform as a part of their identity, like the Marines with their macan tutul and Kopassus with Darah Mengalir. But, the problem is that they prioritize these distinctive camo above issuing newer standardized uniforms, and it create a confusing situation regarding the future of the Army's standart camo. Well, at least they buy modern tactical gears along with the new uniforms, so at least we only have the problem with the camo. My view is that, they waste money on something that they themselves are not certain of when or where they will wear it, and they buy it even though it does not completely replacing the older one, as they still keep the old one and wears it regularly along with the new one, so they have two kinds of PDLs in their wardrobes, while in real situation they will certainly only need one and will certainly stick to it.

The new Army staffs should realize this and fix this problem ASAP, by both issuing the NKRI PDLs (or anything better than the DPM) as the new standart camo to replace DPMs, and may or may not allows branches to issue unique camo for it's soldier for as long as it doesn't mess up the purpose of standardization and the logistics in real operation.
The problem with issuing 3 different type of camo and gear is the unnecessary burden on our budget. There's a reason why a lot of armies in the world standardize on 2 camos (woodland and desert) + 1 flat color gear is because it is the cheapest option when you're talking about literally tens of millions of uniforms that have to be procured.

Like 1 set of DPM's go for like Rp. 100,000 - Rp. 400,000 depending on setup. But if you multiply that by how many troops we have plus how many times they have to buy news ones when the old ones become unserviceable and you'd see we'd start to have a sizeable dent in the budget.

Sorry if my post tend to be too long to read, i often overthinks things and feeling uncomfortable if i don't go all out.

It seems night flying and raiding is part of our capability

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-30 at 14.59.02.jpg
54731831_273192770302447_1426416382493514009_n.jpg
11-pesawat-tempur-canggih-bergerak-menyerbu-pulau-takalar-jbe.jpeg

Hey all, found an interesting read the development of pansers from Pindad's perspective on quora.

Sharing it here:

How can Indonesia build its own armored combat vehicles?

Rahmad Budi
, M.S. Defense Management, Indonesia Defense University (2013)
Answered 21h ago

Other guys have provided decent answers. So, I will take you to another path, from the point of view of the Indonesian state-owned arms manufacturer. It will be a long story. Please, bear with me.

Indonesia has learned the hard way on the important role of the armored vehicle in combat, especially for transporting troops. During the early phase of military operations in East Timor (1978–1999), the ill-equipped Indonesian Army suffered from high casualty rates due to the lack of armored vehicles. There were many cases where troops rode in regular buses or trucks easily became the prey of the Fretilin guerillas, many of whom previously served in Portuguese Timor Army, who can aptly implement effective ambush tactic.

A colonel in the Indonesian Army (TNI AD) once told me that the casualties during the occupation of East Timor reached almost 20,000 and it is believed that 3,000 soldiers were killed. This embarrassment should never again be repeated.

After Indonesia left East Timor in 1999, then came the emergency situation in the most westernmost province, Aceh, which had been infested with Free Aceh Movement (GAM) insurgency that took arm for independence since 1976. After GAM leaders in Sweden refused the autonomy option following the death of local GAM commander in chief during the previous military operation, Jakarta in May 2019 declared martial law in effect in Aceh and the military operation on a scale never seen since invasion on East Timor was launched. Indonesia deployed more than 30,000 soldiers and 12,000 police officers and all of its military arsenals to Aceh to get rid GAM insurgents, led by charismatic Hasan Tiro from a comfortable home in Sweden, once and for all.

However, Indonesia which had only become a democratic country after the 1998 Reformation following the Asian financial crisis, was not in good shape, both militarily and financially. The Army and Marines still lack the armored vehicles to form mechanized infantry that can prevent the morbid mistake the TNI did in East Timor by sending ill-equipped soldiers in light-skinned vehicles to the battlefields. Only special forces can enjoy the luxury of the armored troop carrier.

To make matter worse, Indonesia was also under military embargoes imposed by the US and UK. The US’s embargo had kept most of Indonesian Air Forces (TNI AU)’s fleet of C-130 Hercules and F-16 aircraft fighters from regular operational flights due to lack of spare part. The British banned TNI AD from deploying the Scorpion light tanks and prevented TNI AU from using Hawk aircraft fighters to combat in internal conflict. TNI AD withdrew the much-needed Scorpions from Aceh.

During the military operation in Aceh (2003–2004), our ground troops soon found out that they must improvise to survive the ambush in the jungle. They came up with this: coconut logs on the truck bed to stop the bullets…. some bullets maybe.

main-qimg-3bb88d884e769e3b019c29e70e90de15

Coconut log abounded but so did the GAM’s bullets spray. So, the more resourceful Army units can come with something like this:

main-qimg-01536e894b569fef0e71231ec1f5af61

Luckily for TNI, GAM warriors were less skilled and resourced than Fretilin’s. However, with the increasing combat intensity, TNI leaders then asked PT Pindad (Army Industrial Company) to make armored troops carrier that can be built and deployed as quickly as possible. Upon receiving TNI’s request, Pindad’s engineers chose the simplest solution:

The most prolific 4x4 truck in the army inventory: Isuzu NPS

main-qimg-6be326b59b7ff05aaee889a1cd023aa5

Pindad’s engineers stripped the body of the 2.5-ton truck and then built the armored structure around the chassis. The result was this little beast that could: APR-1 V1

main-qimg-b9fb7492f6d76b20685ddbdab39868dd

APR stands for Light Armored Personnel Carrier that can transport up to 10 lightly equipped Indonesian personnel. Please bear in mind that we Indonesian have much smaller stature than the average Caucasian. Isuzu truck chassis was chosen for the ease of maintenance since all the spare parts are the same as the regular 4x4 truck in the civilian use, especially the mining sector.

Pindad in early 2004 sent 26 units of the first model of APR-1 to Aceh for a field trial in a hope that it can be improved further. However, soldiers deemed the new vehicle suffered from lack of mobility and maneuverability due to the excessive weight as it still came with the standard power train and undercarriage. Realizing that further improvement will not be feasible in a short time, TNI scrapped the plan to acquire an additional 14 APR-1.

Yes. APR1-V1 was far from a bold and good looking vehicle you wanna take on an afternoon ride. At least, Bangladesh Army has shown interest in this cheapest armored vehicle that only cost you less than US$ 55,000 a piece. Add more US$ 500 and you'll get a full air conditioner and probably stereo system.

Then, the tsunami came, literally, in the fateful morning of 26th Dec 2004. Along with more than 200,000 lives of Acehnese that perished, TNI lost two APR-1s in the biggest natural disasters of the 21st century that eventually forced the two belligerents to meet in the peace negotiation table.

After Acehnese returned to peaceful life, Pindad did not abandon its dream to develop the homegrown armored vehicle. The next development resulted in a bigger model called APS or Medium Armored Personnel Carrier.

Pindad along with Agency For Assessment and Application of Technology (BPPT) in 2005 made two APS versions built from the same truck chassis. This time, they use 5 ton 6×6 Perkasa truck made by engineering division of PT Texmaco, the former Indonesian textile giant which collapsed after being hit hard by the 1997-1998 economic crisis. The crisis forced Srinivasan family to give up control of Texmaco to the government.

main-qimg-e44a65d3e90b6139a6df9f98db00949b

Perkasa PT44 truck with Leyland cab as the basis for APS APC. Powered by domestic made Austrian Steyr Puch diesel engine, the APS looked more promising.

main-qimg-87de0848d58e1c65f2da1fd3fbbae80a

During fierce combat in the middle of the jungle, what else can you expect than an armored limousine? the side sliding door made it the most elegance APC by far. For more conventional ingress and egress, you still can find a rear swing door. Ladies and gentlemen, Pindad APS-1 at your service to bring you home safe and sound!

main-qimg-443119b8d290e8c6c11b05a912a2f0e0

Pindad and BPPT finally made their way to take APS's shape right in the second version. The APS-2 (or APS-1 V1) looks as normal as an APC could appear. No side sliding door from the first version. Troops are loaded up from the rear door. Pindad provided a more stylish way to enter the driver cabin: just open the hatch and jump in. Both version able to carry up to 13 average Indonesian soldiers.

Realizing the capability of Pindad, TNI in late 2005 gave support for the next stage of APC development. This time, Pindad was tasked to build a real armored combat vehicle that then became known as Panser 0 Series. Indonesian uses the word “panser” to call every wheeled armored vehicle. The term most probably derived from the Dutch ‘pantser’ which also means armored vehicle (tracked or wheeled).

Pindad was only given two months to build four prototypes that can be displayed on TNI’s 61st-anniversary ceremony on 5th October 2006 in Jakarta.

Unlike her predecessor which using truck’s ladder frame chassis, Panser 0 Series was built on monocoque high strength composite steel body. Pindad developed the new APC by taking reference from French Véhicule de l'Avant Blindé (VAB). Pindad CEO Budi Santosa admitted that his engineers took a VAB apart in Pindad’s workshop in Bandung, West Java, to fully study its inside-outside.

Rather than just copying or doing some reverse engineering from VAB parts, Panser 0 Series came up with different style. Budi Santosa said that Pindad developed a new suspension model which it claimed has better performance than VAB’s or so it seems. However, it retained the original VAB’s Renault diesel engine to power the Panser 0 Series.

Sorry. I just paraphrased it. In short, Pindad copied VAB. Period.

I managed to have a ride on both French VAB and Panser 0 Series to feel the difference. VAB bought by Indonesian Army was 4×4 wheel version, not the more expensive 6×6 wheel version. I noticed that VAB wheel can bend on its axle more flexible than Panser 0 Series’s, a useful feature on extreme uneven road. That’s why VAB has a more bumpy ride on the smooth tarmac. Pindad’s Panser on the other hand—thanks to its 6 wheels—drive more steady and firm. But I have no chance to test them off road.

main-qimg-214d547d37e81e3f658ab0723d134028

Pindad Panser 0 Series first displayed to the public during the TNI's 61st-anniversary ceremony on 5th October 2006 in TNI HQ in Cilangkap, Jakarta. President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono after led the ceremony made a glance look from his presidential car as he passed by the Panser 0 static display.

main-qimg-7f70537fdcca1cd25e3ba76c5b986e39

Renault VAB, from which Panser 0 Series was born, was acquired by TNI AD in 1990s and became the backbone of TNI's Garuda Expeditionary Forces during UN peacekeeping mission in Lebanon (UNIFIL). We can notice the similarity and difference between VAB and Panser 0 Series.

I heard that Indonesia’s venture in developing its homegrown APC which modeled after the VAB had offended the French. Indonesian MoD officials then made an offer their French counterpart cannot refuse.

1. Indonesia to produce Panser 0 Series by using the new diesel engine that Renault Truck will provide. After all, VAB was some 70s technology.
  2. Indonesian Peacekeeping Forces in Lebanon to buy 32 VABs from French Army inventory. The VAB will be refurbished and sent directly from France to Lebanon.
  3. The possible future partnership between Renault and Pindad in supplying armored system to TNI. This eventually resulted in the locally built Renault Sherpa light APC which in Indonesia being marketed as Komodo.
The Panser 0 Series then developed and officially designated as APS-3 Anoa (midget buffalo native to Sulawesi). With government back up through state-owned banks financing, TNI ordered Anoa in large number. Up to 150 units were ordered in 2009.

Beside regular APC, Pindad builds Anoa in several variants such as ambulance …

Recovery vehicle

main-qimg-4998100a4df1c49f0b4525d77fbd74f8

4x4 model for Police force and a small number for TNI AD, probably for the scout

main-qimg-612389debf723589cace5c66558eb238

And, eventually, Anoa equipped with Alvis turret and Cockerill 90 mm low-pressure gun. The macho version was given name Badak (rhino)

main-qimg-4029d8263e3e7c5239a28cf1ab2e6bfe

We can see that Pindad learned to develop and build APC incrementally, from up-armoring the small truck chassis, then moved to the bigger truck platform with two different variants to see which design is better suited for the would-be operator and eventually copied or reverse engineered the proven off-the-shelf design. All these development phases were financed by Pindad’s own coffers without financial support from the government or MoD/TNI.

That is why Pindad can only able to build the dirt cheap prototypes for APR-1 and APS-1. APS-1 was reportedly cost less than IDR1 billion ($100 k) per unit. After given guarantee from TNI that it will buy the next product iteration, Pindad was willing to spend billions of rupiah (hundreds thousand of a dollar) to develop Panser 0 Series. Financial support from state-owned banks only came after TNI put firm order for Anoa APC. The loan from the banks was used by Pindad to jump-start the Anoa manufacturing line.

TNI acquires Anoa APC in large number not only to replace hundreds of old APCs bought more than 50 years ago such as trio British Saracen, Saladin, and Ferret; but also to build mechanized infantry units in the future. This acquisition will not only provide a boost to Pindad to develop a more advanced armored system but also enhance its engineering and manufacturing capabilities. With less attractive remuneration it can offer to compare to the private sector, Pindad previously unable to attract the best talent from the best universities in Indonesia. It can only hire ‘mediocre’ engineers.

However, you don’t need the best engineer to develop and make something that just work decently. I remember a lecturer in college once said something like this about aircraft maker Boeing. “The top engineers created B-757. The mediocre engineers created B-737.”

The former was an engineering marvel that could fly gracefully. The latter, however, eventually became the most successful jetliner in history.

Pindad’s engineers who have gained precious experiences from APR-1 to Anoa project eventually became experienced and skilled engineers and they can always get help from the best scientists that Indonesia can muster from both BPPT and Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) to assist them during the project development phase. Combine it with financial support from the government and a well thought out long term development masterplan, one can assure that for Pindad to build a tank is just a matter of time.

Indonesian government at least since 2009 started to fund the weapon system development project which includes medium tank project. The first phase of development was for defining the needs and probably early design. What is the weight threshold? What type and size of the gun to be installed? How is the engine layout and power rating?

Realizing that the armored tracked system is a very different beast from wheeled APC, Pindad sought a partner. Turkish FNSS was chosen and both parties in 2015 agreed to jointly develop what would become the Modern Medium Weight Tank project which resulting in Kaplan MT tank for Turkey and Harimau (Tiger) tank for Indonesia. The development phase mostly took place in Turkey with the Harimau prototypes were sent to Indonesia in 2018 for field trial.

main-qimg-0677321ff15897033348a3e638659ed6

Weighing up to 35 ton and equipped with 105 mm Cockerill high-pressure gun, the Harimau medium tank will replace 314 units (from originally 400 units) of AMX-13 tank currently fielded by TNI AD. The French light tank was first bought in 1963 and had been undergone several upgrades.

The medium tank project is another milestone for Pindad: joint development program. The next milestone would be producing it in large number by maximizing the local resources and in the most efficient way. In this regard, Pindad cannot do it alone.

There are only a handful of heavy engineering companies in Indonesia which can provide the technology and expertise in Harimau manufacturing. Texmaco Perkasa Engineering in Subang, West Java, which produce Perkasa truck for APS-1 is the only local company with precision manufacturing capability that can contribute to Harimau production. The others are heavy industry companies in Indonesia owned by Japanese and a European. Pindad reportedly has asked one of them to manufacture turret ring of Harimau tank.

One may wonder. What is next after Harimau? Would it be possible for Pindad to develop and built main battle tank? Indonesian government currently has no intention to move further from the medium tank project. Instead of expanding its portfolio, perhaps what is best for Pindad right now is deepening its expertise to support its current offerings, such as licensed production of large caliber ammunition and weapon system that can be used for TNI’s new mechanized infantry and cavalry divisions.

That’s all. I hope it helps…

Thoughts anyone?

Is it true that future contract for pkr10514 no.3 to 6 had been canceled for iver class?

TNI AU Headquarters Detachment Now Has a Quick Reaction Unit
Ery_Apr 30, 2019330

image_750x_5cc916e1d83d9.jpg

Air Force Chief of Staff, Air Chief Marshal Yuyu Sutisna inaugurated the Health Battalion of TNI AU Headquarters Detachment on Monday (4/29/2019). Image source: Air Force Information Service.
AVTEN - The Air Force (TNI AU) Headquarters Detachment now has a quick reaction unit, the Health Battalion. The new unit was officially inaugurated by the Air Force Chief of Staff, Air Chief Marshal Yuyu Sutisna, on Monday (4/29/2019).

Health Battalion of TNI AU Headquarters Detachment is commanded by Lt. Col. (health) Heru Wisnu M.

Yuyu said, the inauguration of Health Battalion of TNI AU Headquarters Detachment as a follow-up to the validation of the TNI AU's health organization about the establishment of a rapid response health support unit, both in the context of Military War Operations (OMP) or Military Operations Other Than War (OMSP).

"As a quick reaction unit, Health Battalion of TNI AU Headquarters Detachment must have the ability to hold health support in a short time with adequate capacity," Yuyu pleaded.

When look at the social dynamics, said Yuyu, he projected that the role of the TNI, including the TNI AU on health aspects would more increasing, both assistance assignments and in the face of natural disasters that often occur in the Indonesian territory.

Health Battalion of TNI AU Headquarters Detachment is required to be able to provide help in early health care. This unit functions as a predecessor team that carries out initial health services before other help arrives.

"And air medical evacuation preparation to be referred to a more complete health facility in a safe area," Yuyu added.

Yuyu hopes, in the future the development of the Health Battalion of TNI AU Headquarters Detachment capacity will be directed towards realizing operational preparedness and harmony between core capabilities and factors that influence the success of the task.

As an operational unit in the health sector, Health Battalion of TNI AU Headquarters Detachment is also expected to be able to carry out its roles and functions optimally so that it can show the existence of TNI AU in service to the nation and state.
https://avten.asia/tni-au-headquart...0yp8Lh_kjhHGbMfDETF36vlS7tv44wlIl4seOcU5w-VVU

Those rusty vets looking dangerous, intan jaya peaks Papua

137042f2-160f-4e78-85b7-f9822e1df078.jpeg
fff541ba-a486-40ef-b38c-af542b1722a3.jpeg
f39d3028-c26f-4c34-8005-05dfa45abe71.jpeg
df7ba38e-eb74-47ff-91c4-151623a7ef78.jpeg
bc3fd7a1-f838-4cb3-b225-7a89950fb9ad_169.jpeg
b28651dc-c826-49e0-8ce9-3f6827ff1271.jpeg

Martadinata-class frigates were meant to replace all Ahmad Yani-class frigates, so it's pretty much "confirmed" that we will at least have 6 ships of this class....maybe.
PAL-8.jpg

There's no doubt for the 3rd and 4th frigate, but the question is...will it be 4 total Martadinata and 2 Iver Huitfeldt, 6 Martadinata and 2 Iver Huitfeldt, or 6 Martadinata and 4 Iver Huitfeldt (both in two batch)? There's many hearsay that 4 "Destroyers" will be acquired, and of course it points out towards Iver. But apparently the available 800 million USD is only able to buy two Ivers in one batch, and we can't be sure whether there will be a follow-up orders or not.

Some of my concerns is the VLS system that will equip the Iver Huitfeldt-class, i feel that it'll be better if we retain the Mk41 and Mk56 modules just like in the original Danish Navy configuration, both the system and the missiles are relatively cheap and abundant, they are more versatile, their performance is quite good (i mean, they are staple for AEGIS), and the system could pack more missiles (quad-pack ESSM) and therefore more potential firepower per ship if needed.

There are some concerns within the Military and the defense ministry about "embargo" and potentially complicated contract for the VLS system and the missiles if we did choose the American Mk41 and Mk56, so the other option is Sylver VLS with Aster 15/30 as it's main SAM missile, and they could very well be the stronger candidate as we already have some business with MBDA for the MICA and Exocets. But Sylver and it's missiles are expensive, easily twice the price of an Mk41 system, and although there are user of them in the region, i doubt the Navy would spend that much extra money just to avoid having business in strategic area with the US.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom