What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Indonesia gives India access to strategic port of Sabang
Sabang, also known as Weh island, is located 710 km southeast of the Andaman Islands and less than 500 km from the entrance of the Malacca Strait, through which almost 40% of India’s trade passes.
INDIA Updated: May 17, 2018 21:08 IST
luhut-pandjaitan_48a3bf0a-59de-11e8-8eeb-612d38e6f1f8.jpg

Indonesia has agreed to give India economic and military access to the strategic island of Sabang at the northern tip of Sumatra and close to the Malacca Strait, an Indonesian minister said on Thursday.

Luhut Pandjaitan, Indonesia’s coordinating minister for maritime affairs and a former military officer, said India will invest in the port and economic zone of Sabang and build a hospital.

He noted the port’s 40-metre depth is good for all types of vessels, “including submarines”. In time, he said, the coast guards of the two countries could also work together.

Sabang, also known as Weh island, is located 710 km southeast of the Andaman Islands and less than 500 km from the entrance of the Malacca Strait, through which almost 40% of India’s trade passes.

Pandjaitan made the remarks while speaking on India-Indonesia maritime cooperation at the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library in New Delhi, days ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Indonesia on May 31.

An Indonesian official accompanying Pandjaitan said his understanding was that besides development of the port, Indian naval ships would be allowed to visit Sabang under the understanding.

“It’s a verbal understanding at this stage. The Indonesian side will hold a meeting next week to seek ways to turn it into a reality,” said another official familiar with discussions on the issue.

An Indian diplomat, who didn’t want to be named, said the Sabang arrangement would “logically follow the Act East policy of the government”.

The Malacca Strait is considered one of six choke points, or narrow channels, along widely used global sea routes. They are critical for global energy security because of the high volume of oil transported through narrow straits. At least 15 million bpd of oil flows through the Malacca Strait from West Asia and West Africa.

India and Indonesia began exploring the idea of developing Sabang in 2014-15, said India’s former envoy to Indonesia, Gurjit Singh. However, the economic viability of the port was questioned.

Common concerns about Chinese assertiveness in the Indo-Pacific region have led both governments to again take up the island-port’s development.

Pandjaitan outlined the reasons for closer bilateral cooperation. He was critical of China’s Belt and Road Initiative, saying: “We do not want to be controlled by BRI.” He also questioned China’s unilateral claims on the South China Sea, noting this includes parts of Indonesia’s maritime exclusive economic zone.

Indonesia had positioned a plan called the “global maritime fulcrum” that is “designed to balance the BRI”, he said. Indonesia and India are big enough that “we don’t have to lean towards any superpower, and this makes India a sensible partner for Indonesia”, he added.

Pandjaitan said the two countries, which held naval exercises most recently in 2017, should also cooperate in counter-terrorism initiatives and maritime safety.

This marks a major shift in Indonesia’s attitude towards China and India. Until recently, Jakarta had been reluctant to seek strategic alignment with New Delhi and was in two minds about Beijing’s role in the region.

The Sabang arrangement will seal a new strategic partnership in the Indian Ocean. Admitting that Indonesia had ignored the Indian Ocean until recently, Pandjaitan said, “India and Indonesia relations are important to the balance of power in Asia.”

is this true, I thought we don't give foreign powers access to our ports

Indonesia gives India access to strategic port of Sabang
INDIA Updated: May 17, 2018 21:08 IST
luhut-pandjaitan_48a3bf0a-59de-11e8-8eeb-612d38e6f1f8.jpg

Indonesia has agreed to give India economic and military access to the strategic island of Sabang at the northern tip of Sumatra and close to the Malacca Strait, an Indonesian minister said on Thursday.

Luhut Pandjaitan, Indonesia’s coordinating minister for maritime affairs and a former military officer, said India will invest in the port and economic zone of Sabang and build a hospital.

He noted the port’s 40-metre depth is good for all types of vessels, “including submarines”. In time, he said, the coast guards of the two countries could also work together.

Pandjaitan made the remarks while speaking on India-Indonesia maritime cooperation at the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library in New Delhi, days ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Indonesia on May 31.

An Indonesian official accompanying Pandjaitan said his understanding was that besides development of the port, Indian naval ships would be allowed to visit Sabang under the understanding.

“It’s a verbal understanding at this stage. The Indonesian side will hold a meeting next week to seek ways to turn it into a reality,” said another official familiar with discussions on the issue.

An Indian diplomat, who didn’t want to be named, said the Sabang arrangement would “logically follow the Act East policy of the government”.

The Malacca Strait is considered one of six choke points, or narrow channels, along widely used global sea routes. They are critical for global energy security because of the high volume of oil transported through narrow straits. At least 15 million bpd of oil flows through the Malacca Strait from West Asia and West Africa.

India and Indonesia began exploring the idea of developing Sabang in 2014-15, said India’s former envoy to Indonesia, Gurjit Singh. However, the economic viability of the port was questioned.

Common concerns about Chinese assertiveness in the Indo-Pacific region have led both governments to again take up the island-port’s development.

Pandjaitan outlined the reasons for closer bilateral cooperation. He was critical of China’s Belt and Road Initiative, saying: “We do not want to be controlled by BRI.” He also questioned China’s unilateral claims on the South China Sea, noting this includes parts of Indonesia’s maritime exclusive economic zone.

Indonesia had positioned a plan called the “global maritime fulcrum” that is “designed to balance the BRI”, he said. Indonesia and India are big enough that “we don’t have to lean towards any superpower, and this makes India a sensible partner for Indonesia”, he added.

Pandjaitan said the two countries, which held naval exercises most recently in 2017, should also cooperate in counter-terrorism initiatives and maritime safety.

This marks a major shift in Indonesia’s attitude towards China and India. Until recently, Jakarta had been reluctant to seek strategic alignment with New Delhi and was in two minds about Beijing’s role in the region.

The Sabang arrangement will seal a new strategic partnership in the Indian Ocean. Admitting that Indonesia had ignored the Indian Ocean until recently, Pandjaitan said, “India and Indonesia relations are important to the balance of power in Asia.”

is this true, I thought we don't give foreign powers access to our ports

Much like we give access USN of our Surabaya port for regular visit. Not a big deal actually

Much like we give access USN of our Surabaya port for regular visit. Not a big deal actually
yes but I don't think it's going to be only regular visit, I check @carlosaSCSinfo thaht Indonesia is giving "basing rights". My interpretation is that the Indian Navy will countinuously station their ship in the island.

yes but I don't think it's going to be only regular visit, I check @carlosaSCSinfo thaht Indonesia is giving "basing rights". My interpretation is that the Indian Navy will countinuously station their ship in the island.

It will be a problem, a really big problem. but why India though?

India long seen the Indian Ocean as their private lake, but lately south Asian state like Bangladesh , Sri lanka is becoming more and more friendly with Beijing so I think they're trying to win Indonesia and contest China's Influence in neighboring countries (bangladesh and Sri lanka had already host China's fleet) . We should play smart in this Sino-India cold war. but granting India a military base (I hope its not true) in our territory is counter productive. Imagine the hype if China or US opening a naval base in natuna?????

When somebody quotes something, it means that person saw or heard something/somebody said the exact words. Carlosa used quotes for the words basing rights. Did he/she saw the signed agreement between Indonesia and India that contains "basing rights"? Or heard Minister Luhut said "basing rights" to India?

The article said :

was that besides development of the port, Indian naval ships would be allowed to visit Sabang under the understanding.

Only visit NOT base at Sabang.

This is Indian typical "dikasih hati minta jantung".

The article said :

was that besides development of the port, Indian naval ships would be allowed to visit Sabang under the understanding.

Usually we give foreign navy port visit call rights

The article said :

well I (really) hope that's the case, but if it's only visit, then why are on so many news. I mean many warships from different countries visit different countries port.
at least 3+ news outlet reporting this. One even suggesting that it could house Indian Navy submarines.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ep-seaport-in-sabang/articleshow/64209190.cms

https://swarajyamag.com/insta/after...s-strategically-located-port-for-military-use

https://www.ibef.org/news/indonesia-gives-india-access-to-strategic-port-of-sabang

no verbal agreement yet, but worth the watch. Especially if you look at the positions of sabang which lies directly in China's One belt initiative naval route. India wouldn't be interested fif its for nothing.

Last edited:
I dont think they will be stationing ship in that island, its going to be redundant, because Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar located less than 200km from there.

dragon and elephant i guest we just right in the midle of shit

We are not just right in the middle of the two, we are a player as well, especially in South China Sea. And now we have name the sea near us as Natuna sea and has set up a military base on it. As every body know, we start seriously building military base there after we see China aggressiveness by ramming our boat patrol there. Recent news said that we will build the island into a aircraft carrier like, meaning that there will be medium SAM battery being placed there as well as at least a squadron of fighter jet and some troops.

By seeing those development, I think we can be seen now as a half rival in the region, not fully a rival though, it means each side militarized their own claim in South China Sea and each side try to win influence in ASEAN while still maintaining good relationship to each other. India in other hand is a rival of China in other side of the globe, particularly in himalaya mountain.

Talking about that naval base, I believe we will not give India any base here since both nation are regional power in their own region, even we dont give any naval base to USA when we were sided with them during cold war.

It is interesting though to see what will be our relation with China in the future. Will it be an ally, just a friend, or even a rival in a region. Philippine and Malaysia have already surrendered to China and see China as their big brother now, that is why there is no significant respond from them when China strengthen their present by intruding Malaysia ZEE and building man made island in Philippine ZEE. So there is only Indonesia and Vietnam who are by far a counter balance of China in the region.

There is still hope though that we some how ended up as a best friend to each other in the future just like during Ming dynasty where admiral Zheng He visited Java and Sumatera peacefully. During that time even Indonesia is not united under big kingdom like Srivijaya and Majapahit so in term of military power we were not that strong compared to Ming Dynasty but still can have a good relationship with them. As I check history, China's aggressive was during Qing dynasty which is a Manchu kingdom and Yuan dynasty which is a Mongolian kingdom, both of them are not Han. Although during Tang dynasty we can see Chinese advance as well.

In short, according to my opinion, they want to restore their ancient kingdom greatness by claiming South China Sea. And in this side of the world, it is Indonesia and not India who has to deal with China.

Jokowi agrees to revive Koopsusgab special forces
  • Marguerite Afra Sapiie
    The Jakarta Post
Jakarta | Fri, May 18, 2018 | 07:57 pm
2018_05_09_45605_1525838111._large.jpg
Indonesia's elite military unit Kopassus parade in formation during an exercise at a naval base in Cilegon, West Java, on Oct. 3, 2015 in preparation for the 70th anniversary celebration of the Indonesian Armed Forces on Oct. 5 to be led by Indonesian President Joko Widodo. (AFP/Romeo Gacad)
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has agreed to reinstate the suspended military’s Joint Special Operations Command (Koopsusgab) to assist the National Police in antiterrorism operations under certain conditions.

The joint force comprises of special forces of the Indonesian Military's (TNI) three armed forces, namely the Army's Special Forces (Kopassus), the Navy's Denjaka specialized squad and the Air Force's Bravo 90 unit.

"The government is in the process of establishing a joint special operations command [...] in order to create a safe and secure environment for the public," Jokowi said in Jakarta on Friday.

The announcement was made in the wake of a string of terrorist attacks on Indonesian soil, which has thrown the nation into a state of paranoia.

Jokowi emphasized that the special force would be deployed only when the National Police's capacity was deemed inadequate to respond to an emergency.

"That means preventive measures are much more important than repressive measures," he added.

Jokowi's statement came days after Presidential Chief of Staff Moeldoko said that the President had expressed his agreement to a proposal to revive the special force, which was first established when Moeldoko was the TNI commander in 2015.

The special command's operation was later suspended under the leadership of Moeldoko's successor Gatot Nurmantyo. (swd)

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/05/18/jokowi-agrees-to-revive-koopsusgab-special-forces.html

Back
Top Bottom