What's new

Indira Gandhi’s grandson faces charges for ‘hate speech’

Gabbar

Reaction score
An Idiot on the loose!!!

Varun Gandhi targets Muslims, BJP shocked

9be467395cfe3986e0e181a0183ac157.jpg

The strident communal overtones of the campaign being run by 'the other' Gandhi son, Varun, contesting his maiden Lok Sabha election from this constituency, has left even workers of his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) shocked.

The 29-year-old son of Maneka and the late Sanjay Gandhi was on Sunday issued a notice by the district authorities in Pilibhit, the constituency so carefully nurtured by his mother who gave up the seat to ensure his easy entry into the Lok Sabha.

That she did so was no surprise for political watchers in Pilibhit. What has come as a shocker is his staunchly pro-Hindu and rabid anti-Muslim vitriolic that his opponents and supporters say could trigger a communal clash.

From taking up issues like the ban on cow slaughter to asking a Sikh leader to leave a Hindu meeting, Varun Gandhi has been ruffling feathers everywhere.

Though just one offensive remark captured by a TV channel drew the attention of the local authorities, the scion of the estranged Gandhi family has been busy making such statements all over Pilibhit.

While 'Jai Shri Ram' is his battle-cry at all roadside meetings or assemblies, some of the other slogans being used are 'Gau hatya rukwana hai, Varun Gandhi ko jitana hai' (Cow slaughter must stop, Varun Gandhi must win) and "Varun nahin yeh aandhi hai, doosra Sanjay Gandhi hai (Varun Gandhi is like a storm, he is another Sanjay Gandhi)".

Varun Gandhi has already addressed three 'Hindu sammellans'. While the district administration has taken cognizance of his utterances at a meet in Barkhera on March 8, those at earlier meetings in Dalchand on March 6 and at Lalori Khera locality on Feb 22 have almost gone unnoticed.

On March 6, he said at the Dalchand meeting: "Agar kissi galat tatv ke aadmi ne, kisi Hindu pe haath uthaya ya hinduon ke upar yeh samajh key ki yeh kamzor hain, unke peeche koi nahi hai... hinduon ke upar haath uthaya, mein geeta ki kasam khake kehta hoon ki mein uss haath ko kaat daaloonga. (If somebody lifts a hand against Hindus, or thinks they are weak, there is nobody behind them, then I swear on the (Bhagvad) Gita that I will cut off that hand)."

It has left even leaders who are working for his victory flabbergasted.

Naresh Verma, a popular BJP leader in Puranpur - within the constituency - told IANS: "I am a BJP activist and a Hindu too. But I am not in favour of launching a communally charged campaign. If Varun Gandhi persists with such style of campaigning, I would be compelled to keep myself away from it."

Added another BJP veteran Gurdial Singh: "Varun is going out of hand. If he is not restrained, this election could end in a bloody communal clash."

The 70-year-old Sikh froom Ramnagar village was even asked to leave one of the Hindu meets being addressed by Varun Gandhi.

"He neither has respect for any other religion nor even for elders. In his arrogance, he has gone to the extent of forgetting that his mother was also a Sikh before her marriage."

If the BJP is alarmed, other parties are determined to ensure that this stops.

"We have audio-recordings of the provocative language used by Varun Gandhi to run down Muslims," claimed Haroon Ahmad, a local Samajwadi Party leader.

"We have been restraining our people from retaliating because that will lead to a clash, but how long can we stop people from reacting?" he asked.

Varun Gandhi's Congress rival V.M. Singh said he was "going to make a detailed complaint in this regard to the Election Commission".

Asked why he had not done so far, Singh told IANS: "I have been gathering all the evidence against him so far but now I am going to make a written complaint.

"The highly objectionable slang used by Varun in his reference to Muslims could just spark off a violent communal clash here."

dont worry about it...this piece of news is creating a furor here.another raj thackeray in the making...the retard abused gandhi as well!

Well another four years of Congress can soon be signed sealed and delivered thanks to this young man. BJP tried so hard and made sure that they won but once Indian media gets a hold of this BJP's campaign will be ripped to shreds by the way is their a BJP supporter who may justify his actions?

Well another four years of Congress can soon be signed sealed and delivered thanks to this young man. BJP tried so hard and made sure that they won but once Indian media gets a hold of this BJP's campaign will be ripped to shreds by the way is their a BJP supporter who may justify his actions?

The whole Gandhi family seems to win from the same electorate year after year irrespective of what they do. The Indira/Rajiv/Sonia Gandhi's had their Amethi from where they never lost and it seems like Maneka has handed over her seat to this guy. I hope he does not win too, but irrespective of whatever else, he may still end up winning. People seem to vote based on benefit to their region and sometimes ignore almost everything else (Maneka has a pretty colourful past, but she seems to have never lost an election).

An immature dolt, shooting off his mouth..will buy it from the EC.

Will get the boot for this.The media is already on his tail.

Well i expect such b.s coming out of BJP - these buggers dont have an issue they just make a feud among our people and try to gain vote bank.
But this is all because of our generation - we need to VOTE! and make these idiots history don't forgive them for such.

thats what happens to kids -whose mom love animals more than her own kids!

I don't think its important that Varun Gandhi or whoever else said it. they are individuals after all.

Whats important is how the system of india handles it, how he's brought to jutice for hate speech and using religion in politics, both crimes in india. Thats the test.

Criminal case filed against Varun for inflammatory speeches

A criminal case was on Tuesday lodged against Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) Lok Sabha candidate Varun Gandhi for his alleged communal campaign speeches in Uttar Pradesh's Pilibhit constituency.

The non-bailable case against Varun Gandhi, the son of the late Sanjay Gandhi and Maneka Gandhi, was lodged in Barkeda police station, said District Magistrate, Pilibhit, MP Agarwal.

"Varun Gandhi has been booked under Section 153 (a) and Section 188 of the Indian Penal Code as well as Section 125 of the People's Representative Act. Investigations are on," said Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Pilibhit, RK Chaturvedi.

While Section 153 (a) deals with "promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language etc and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony", Section 188 is on "disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant". Section 125 of the People's Representative Act deals with "offence of promoting enmity between classes in connection with the elections".

The case follows the Election Commission on Tuesday directing Uttar Pradesh's chief electoral officer to file a criminal case against Varun Gandhi.

"...Election Commission directs CEO Uttar Pradesh to file a case under the Indian Penal Code and Representation of People's Act against Varun Gandhi," said an Election Commission statement in New Delhi.

The Election Commission, which ordered the notice to Varun Gandhi and the BJP for the violation of the Model Code of Conduct, also wanted the transfer and suspension of district officials for dereliction of duty.

"The Election Commission orders issuance of notice to BJP and Varun Gandhi for violation of Model Code of Conduct and also orders transfer of district officers and suspends two officials for dereliction of duty," the statement said.

Varun Gandhi has created a storm by his fanatical pro-Hindu speeches where he threatened to cut off the hands of those who raise a "hand against Hindus".

Shunning its candidate, the BJP said Varun Gandhi should apologise for his inflammatory anti-Muslim remarks that go against the party's credo of "harmony and unity".

"We are of the strong belief that Varun Gandhi should apologise. The BJP dissociates itself from his remarks," Shahnawaz Hussain, the party's spokesperson in parliament, told reporters.

Criminal case filed against Varun for inflammatory speeches - Hindustan Times

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom