What's new

India’s soldiers still have to fight with clunky, outdated and unreliable rifles

Which?

MCIWS-3.jpg

Multi Cal Rifle's Specs.

Ordnance Factory Board

Excalibur's Specs
3.3 kg, that's not bad. It's almost on par with the M-16's empty weigh of 3.26 kg, and on par with a loaded weight of 4.0 kg.

In a jungle warfare,it makes sense??But what if you are engaged in conventional warfare in open terrain with clear line of sight??Then what??The M43 just does not cut it...............drops way too faster.

Even in conventional war Gun fights always happens at a closer range and mostly with both parties in cover except it is some war movie. AK comes handy their. But with some improvement INSAS is best for conventional war. Where number of ammo you carry is very imp factor, INSAS gets plus one their. Also INSAS has one of best zeroing factor i.e. you can shoot two bullets in 1mm from a distance of 100-150 mtrs. No gun can beat INSAS in this. Long barrel gives INSAS better accuracy and range upto 600 mtr- Unofficial, official is 400 mtr. Only thing beating INSAS is quality of metal used. So called Chromium alloy used is prone to wear, tear and bends, which eventually results in obstruction during use. If OFB could only work this out.

Even in conventional war Gun fights always happens at a closer range and mostly with both parties in cover except it is some war movie.
Well sir,in the war movies,the engagements actually take place at even closer ranges!!How else they gonna show off the raw courage and the heroism of the characters??!! :D
And engagements do take place at longer ranges as evidenced from the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.Whenever the insurgents come face to face with US soldiers in the open,the former practically get their arses served to them in platter!!That's because the troops can simply take out those rats from ranges beyond their AK can manage to shoot.And that's why they rarely engage the US soldiers in the open.
Besides,there were so many dead tangos with holes in their heads,that the UN observers thought US soldiers might be executing them after taking them prisoners.But autopsy reports proved that those guys had indeed been shot from medium to long distances,even from beyond 300 meters!!The wide proliferation of Assault scopes,magnifiers and ACOG sites with the US troopers must have played a role in this.

AK comes handy their.
Of course,there is a reason AK and reliability has become analogues to each other,no doubt about that.But its accuracy,especially beyond 150-200 yards is less than desirable..............or so I've heard from the ones that have operated one both online and offline.Of course you would know better and I'm expecting a bit clarification from you in this regard.Thanks in advance.
But with some improvement INSAS is best for conventional war.
Same feeling here.The old 1B1's firing selector was a mess,the setting seemed too complicated to me.I mean who in their right mind,uses layout like R-S-R!!Besides,the lever was too short.But the new this thing has been made improved a lot in the newer all black 1B1s.The layout has been changed to S-R-B,it is easier to remember.The designers should have kept these small things in their minds.Well better late than never I guess.
Where number of ammo you carry is very imp factor, INSAS gets plus one their.
Very true.Can not agree more.
Also INSAS has one of best zeroing factor i.e. you can shoot two bullets in 1mm from a distance of 100-150 mtrs.
I know sir.I have said this same thing in this vary forum,multiple times but many just dismissed them as pure bs!!I said a shooter can achieve sub MOA accuracy at 100 meter,if he can properly zero in the sights,which is simply unthinkable with an AKM. But no one believed me.Then there is also the problem with AKM that its sights can not be zeroed in without using specialized tools,which of course,are not issued to the troops..............But in INSAS..........well,you already know.But needless to say,this too was labeled as utter rubbish by some.
No gun can beat INSAS in this. Long barrel gives INSAS better accuracy and range upto 600 mtr- Unofficial, official is 400 mtr.
Only if the higher ups in the Army (and the CAPFs) had the foresight to make those OFB produced 3X magnification capable assault scopes as standard issue!!
By the way,in Army,maximum engagement range is set to 450 yards at the shooting ranges,what's the standard in the CRPF,sir??
Only thing beating INSAS is quality of metal used. So called Chromium alloy used is prone to wear, tear and bends, which eventually results in obstruction during use. If OFB could only work this out.

Well,what else can one expect from an entity like the OFB??You say the chrome plating getting worn out??!!Then you haven't yet come to know anything.There have been instances,when whole lots of firearms were sent to PXE for final testing,whose barrels hadn't been Chrome plated!!

But still,I would say,it's better than the ones like those 'sexy looking' showpieces like ARX or CZ BRENs,which do not even work!!Or the 30000 Beretta MX 4s which were bought at Rs 250 cr,by the BSF ,which are just rusting in the storage cause they do not work!!And how are your X 95s serving you by the way??

Back
Top Bottom