What's new

'India's secret N-submarine project nearing completion'

Hi,

The size of the sub---the outer hull---the curvature---the length of the boat---the size of the boat would give out all the information about the abilitiy of that boat---each of the structural design 'sings' its ability and capability to the visible eye.

All the information is put into the applicable computer program---which spits out the details---secondly---american / russian / chinese / british / frecnch / german etc engineers working in the related fields can look at the pictures and let you know what the system can do---for that reason there is secrecy about the design.

They will be within the 'bulls eye' in assessing the capabilities of the sub. The picture is worth a thousand words.

14b67372073d9fcc7d7fe86a4c8c7d4d.jpg

ATV's Torpedo Loading Mechanism.

cc1729db2692a9f2c8473c4f488d5cb8.jpg

ATV's Non-Hull Penetrating Masts

e2d4f69e9a24e2574984561f314eb14d.jpg

ATV's Conning Tower

4a82a05f7177c6f49a0cd52801701ebe.jpg

ATV's CMS

Courtesy: Prasun K Sengupta

“A technology demonstrator”

T.S. Subramanian

CHENNAI: Atomic Energy Commission chairman Anil Kakodkar said on Sunday that the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), by building the miniaturised reactor that propelled the country’s nuclear-powered submarine, had demonstrated “that we have our indigenous Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR) technology.” He called the launching of INS Arihant “an important milestone” in the Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV) programme. “This PWR technology is very complex. We have been able to compact this reactor and pack it in the cramped space” of the hull of the submarine, Dr. Kakodkar told The Hindu from Visakhapatnam where the submarine was launched.

The shore-based PWR has been working at Kalpakkam, 60 km from Chennai, for the past three years, he said.

India has been a world leader in building Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs) that use natural uranium as fuel, and heavy water as moderator and coolant. But this is the first time that India has built a PWR that used enriched uranium as fuel, and light water as both coolant and moderator.

Dr. Kakodkar said the BARC mastering the PWR technology was significant now, because the Light Water Reactors that India would be importing (from Russia, France, and the U.S.) were PWRs that used enriched uranium as fuel, and light water as both coolant and moderator.

To a question, the AEC Chairman said, “Yes, we miniaturised the reactor [on our own]. The basic complexity is that you have to make it into a compact power system to fit into a submarine.”

Srikumar Banerjee, BARC Director, also stressed that “the event marks the beginning of PWR technology in India.” The BARC made many design features to make this reactor compact. “There are novelties not only in the reactor’s design but in its manufacturing,” he said. For instance, the steam generator which drove the turbine to generate electricity, was compacted in a novel manner. The heart of the reactor is the steam generator.

Dr. Banerjee said: “A boat of this type is a major technology in itself. Its steam generator is yet another technology. The whole platform is a very complex combination of various technologies. That is why we are happy it has reached fruition.

“We have so far developed reactors built on the shore [on firm ground]. But a submarine is a moving platform. It is rolling and pitching, and undergoes other kinds of motion. Against these, we have designed and developed this compact reactor. This is a major achievement.”

Asked whether the Russians helped the BARC in miniaturising the reactor, Dr. Banerjee said, “No, no. They were consultants…Consultancy was done for the whole submarine, not for the power part alone.”

He denied that there was an inordinate delay in the programme. The ATV was conceptualised only in 1984. “This is a completely new technology. It takes time to develop.”

“Great event for nation”

A. Sivathanu Pillai, Chief Controller, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), said: “Launching the Arihant is a great event for the nation because we are in the select club of countries having a nuclear-powered submarine.”

Only Russia, France, the U.S., the U.K., and China have nuclear-powered submarines.

The Hindu : National : “A technology demonstrator”

Last edited:
The funny part is who requested American nuclear aircraft carrier USS Enterprise to threat India in 1971 war. So now u know who went sholder to sholder with US in the past.

PS: So far we never asked anybodys help and aid to safeguard our own borders....nor we need in the future.

I meant was go head to head with American in terms of military.
It seen funny to me that after all American pushing in 1971 now Indians kissing *** to get American military hardware.

Hell goes with your comment, the whole world knows that China is unstable because of economic crisis, and India is Inviting large number of Investors and China fears that we might crossover them, They cut our trade in eastern asia, What do u have to say about tha.. Which world are you living in, Either u are living with your eyes closed or you are supporting the Fact I said.

What china economic crisis had to do with Indians building nuclear submarines?

Because we dont need Nukes to kill the Infiltrators!, a bullet is more than enough for such low lives

Exactly the reason Pakistan does not adopt "No-First-Use" policy and u guys are sure about the end result in such wars. We think differntly.

Who talks about bullet? Indian fought war with propaganda.
example of kargil war and Mumbai attack(Pakistan had no hand).

I meant was go head to head with American in terms of military.
It seen funny to me that after all American pushing in 1971 now Indians kissing *** to get American military hardware.

I can clearly see the frusturation in ur post. India isnt kissing US's @$#, infact they are kissing India's @$#, infact its just the opposite. US is standing on a huge line on India's doorstep along with sweden, France and Russia just to get a piece of pie.

Who talks about bullet? Indian fought war with propaganda.
example of kargil war and Mumbai attack(Pakistan had no hand).

"An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it."

- James Michener

I can clearly see the frusturation in ur post. India isnt kissing US's @$#, infact they are kissing India's @$#, infact its just the opposite. US is standing on a huge line on India's doorstep along with sweden, France and Russia just to get a piece of pie.
I can simply say this.:woot:

"An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it."

- James Michener

Dont try to be oversmart, U were the one who asked why china wants to attack India... My last comment was a rely to that.

My point was if India think china is economically weaker than India then how can china attack India and get its self in war.

Pray god that the submarine does not sink in Bay of Bengal. I love Hilsa fish but no radiation.

My point was if India think china is economically weaker than India then how can china attack India and get its self in war.

A fastest growing economy dosent mean that its better that the economy of china .... know the differance, never will anyone say that Indian economy is better than china, we say That Indian economy is the fastest growing economy,if it goes at this rate, India will surpass china is 2020.. Understand?

And the point Of threat is becoz of their arms race in Asia.

I am going to ignore all the trolling done here and jump to the fact that the PWR's may be used for the indigenous aircraft carrier.

We may actually have our very own Nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier.
Cool huh!

I am going to ignore all the trolling done here and jump to the fact that the PWR's may be used for the indigenous aircraft carrier.

We may actually have our very own Nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier.
Cool huh!

And do you want to see a Charles De Gaulle like situation?...C'mon the 85 MW reactor is underpowered even for the ATV.

Back
Top Bottom