What's new

India’s middle class is actually the world’s poor

Lol .In that case a lots of Indians that in this PDF are very poor.
PPP tells are very different thing and it is quite effective in India.
Yes, And I'm a Middle class guy according to the stats and I'm soo poor that, I have recently bought an apartment that's worth 1 Crore in the middle of my city...I'm still a middle class because my income levels fall well within the Middle class limits.. What the world fails to see, is the amount of saving Indians do in savings..? So may the good world think all non sense about us in India, and let us continue to enjoy our Biriyani and seshkebab..

But why you didn't get that a person earning $ 2/day is also not poor in India.

I hardly spent $ 2/day(130 INR) for food in Guajarat, I can have proper meal of two times, but if this economist thinks that poor should be able to buy US pizzas and Mcdonalds everyday then I am too poor, but at same tiime I have 4 MBPS internet wi-fi connection, 150 cc bike, etc. So am I really poor ?

are you earning $2 a day and then have 4MBPS internet and 150cc bike?
there are people I know where a family of 4 eats in a week compared to what we eat in a day so what you spend on food is different for different people. I remember last time I went to Pakistan the next day I woke before everyone else and was hungry so I thought i would goto bakery and get some bread and stuff. I had 200 rupees in my pocket I asked for a medium bread, 12 eggs, a jam and small butter...asked how much and my jaw dropped, he was asking for Rs. 275...knew that bakery wala since my childhood so i said keep 200 i will give you rest later. Now I know Indian Rupee is stronger so all this should cost Rs150. what do you eat for Rs 120 is my question!!

OK India is Poor!!:D Can you(Developed world) please give us more Aid, so that we can send probe to outer solar system?:D

Fair enough. I still prefer the USD approach.
there are people I know where a family of 4 eats in a week compared to what we eat in a day so what you spend on food is different for different people. I remember last time I went to Pakistan the next day I woke before everyone else and was hungry so I thought i would goto bakery and get some bread and stuff. I had 200 rupees in my pocket I asked for a medium bread, 12 eggs, a jam and small butter...asked how much and my jaw dropped, he was asking for Rs. 275...knew that bakery wala since my childhood so i said keep 200 i will give you rest later. Now I know Indian Rupee is stronger so all this should cost Rs150. what do you eat for Rs 120 is my question!!
Nope I am not earning $ 2 per day but I can eat in $ 2/- per day in India(except metros).

Well $2 = 132 INR with the current exchange, I mostly eat 60/- unlimited veg thali available in any semi developed city may be even less.

We have INR 5-6/- egg,25/- bread, 80/- per kg jam(10 times), 30/- butter. So what u bought in 275/-, I can buy in 200/- a round figure. Plus I don't eat 12 eggs at a time.. :bad::bad:

I'm not trying to insult India or make it look bad. but if you earn less than $10 per day per person, you are poor.
it stops there. it doesn't matter how well you eat, or what you own. you are poor.

This chap is right.

$10 is also a good global benchmark because even in Pakistan the average guy in a average job can usually earn 1000 Rupees a day, which is about $10 ( about $9 dollars 50 cents going by todays exchange rate)

On that kind of money you can usually survive and get by, its a living wage in Pakistan, but you would not be considered middle class by any means.

By the same concept you are illiterate no matter how you look at it
Btw no problem if you got offended

Just for your information 'illiterate' is a person who is unable to read or write.

I know you were trying to be offensive towards him but it might help if you use a dictionary from time to time.

This chap is right.

$10 is also a good global benchmark because even in Pakistan the average guy in a average job can usually earn 1000 Rupees a day, which is about $10 ( about $9 dollars 50 cents going by todays exchange rate)

On that kind of money you can usually survive and get by, its a living wage in Pakistan, but you would not be considered middle class by any means.

Just for your information 'illiterate' is a person who is unable to read or write.

I know you were trying to be offensive towards him but it might help if you use a dictionary from time to time.
Sorry brother, it was an exaggeration :p:

This chap is right.

Sorry brother, it was an exaggeration :p:

Btw if really an average Pakistani earns 1000/day then indeed Pakistan is a rich Country coz My job is considered very respective not in India but in world, still I earn just 1900/day

Last edited:
This chap is right.

He said $10 per person, for a family of four it is 1.2 lacs per month in Pakistan, and 80,000 in India....!

Here's the cost in India . I live in Chennai , Tamil nadu , btw

Medium bread = 15 rupees
Egg(12)= 51 rupees(4.25 an egg)
Jam(500 gms)=100 rupees
Butter (100 gms) = 40 rupees

total=206 rupees

for 120 rupees , I can get decent food to fill my stomach two/three meals (depending on what I eat ) a day in a small restaurant.
and btw , 4 mbps connection in Chennai costs around 1200 per month . ( my connection is 1200 for 4MBps with Fair usage limit of 100 gb , beyond which my speeds drop to 512 KBps-1Mbps )

Last edited:
Btw if really an average Pakistani earns 1000/day then indeed Pakistan is a rich Country coz My job is considered very respective not in India but in world, still I earn just 1900/mth

Ofcourse not everybody in Pakistan makes 1000 rups a day, but last time i was there (about 6 months ago) i talked to alot of average people, shopkeepers, fruit sellers, taxi drivers and many of them said they aim for 1000, if they make 1000 then its been a good day. Some earn a lot more and some earn a lot less - as with any society. I asked a taxi driver how much he had made that day in casual conversation he said 500 but it was a very hot day and he started work late and was feeling to go home after a few more hours).

I think if your earning above 2000 R.s a day then your not doing bad in the subcontinent.

I think you must have put a typing error because i find it hard to see how you can be earning just 1900 (Indian rupees?) a month, thats approx $28

He said $10 per person, for a family of four it is 1.2 lacs per month in Pakistan, and 80,000 in India....!

Thats assuming everyone in the family works like in America, in the subcontinent the wife wont be making $10 a day she will be in the kitchen making 10 Chapatis a day, thats 10 Chapaties x 30 = 300 chapaties a month :laugh:

I think you must have put a typing error because i find it hard to see how you can be earning just 1900 (Indian rupees?) a month, thats approx $28
:laugh:

I think he means 1900 dollars per month .The average IT engineer ( read as someone who hasn't done too badly for himself but hasn't done anything spectacular either ) with around 6 years of experience will earn around 1500 dollars per month in India

PPP is awesome at leveling the playing field and many people who study Economics like myself use it. But there's one problem with it: It doesn't really effect much.

It's true, that $1 in India can buy you $3 worth of stuff in America. But that doesn't mean an Indian who earns $10,000 annually is actually earning $30,000. It's called "Purchasing Power Parity" for a reason, it discusses Purchasing power, not wealth.

So an Indian with $333,000 is not a millionaire.
Good points. I may add that all countries buy commodities at world prices at nominal rate with USD, thus PPP is pointless. I agree that $1 in India goes further than $1 in USD but another factor is standard of quality factor. For example, you can rent a flat in New Delhi for $200 USD/month or $2500 USD/month in the US. The flat in the US for that price is rodent-free, comes with electricity, potable water, located in a good area, close to good schools, etc. I can't say the same for the ND flat. Given these two choices, which one would you rather pay if you can afford both?

The flat in the US for that price is rodent-free, comes with electricity, potable water, located in a good area, close to good schools, etc. I can't say the same for the ND flat. Given these two choices, which one would you rather pay if you can afford both?

For approximately 200 dollars per month, one can get a decent 1bhk/2bhk (<1000sqft ) in the suburbs of delhi, without rodents, 24 hours electricity ( on 99 percent of the days),24 hour water supply and reasonably close to good schools. Nobody in the Middle class drinks tap water in India, they buy water cans, the bubble top varieties , from private entities . What is not assured is clean air. Delhi's air is dirty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom