What's new

India's half-finished economic revolution

US Treasury chief urges economic reform by India

US Treasury chief urges economic reform by India

WASHINGTON - US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner urged on Monday India to push ahead with reforms, particularly in the finance sector, to realize the "enormous potential" in economic ties between the two countries.
Geithner was speaking alongside Indian Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee at a conference in Washington hosted by the Confederation of Indian Industry ahead of high-level economic talks.
"We are just at the very beginning of unlocking the enormous potential of this relationship," Geithner said. "India is at the point now where future growth will depend on the success of the next wave of reform."
He said that India's economy had outgrown its finance sector. The United States was looking particularly for changes to provide more liquid markets for corporate debt financing and for India to allow greater access for American companies to that sector, he said.
India introduced free market rules to deregulate its economy and ease state control in the early 1990s. Its economy has grown rapidly in recent years, with growth of 8.5 percent in 2010, largely driven by domestic demand that could offer an expanding market for American exports. Two-way trade with the US was nearly $50 billion last year.
"Growth in India is good for the United States and no threat to the United States," Geithner said.
Further easing of trade and investment barriers could prove politically unpopular in India. The ruling Congress Party leads a coalition that has been shaken by corruption scandals, hobbling its ability to push a reform agenda.
Mukherjee described reform of fiscal policies as a "constant exercise."
He said key legislation for reform of the banking, insurance and pension fund sectors had been introduced in India's parliament, and the government was seeking consensus among political parties for its passage.
Geithner is hosting Mukherjee for the second annual meeting of the US-India Economic and Financial Partnership, the kind of high-level exchanges that reflect a deepening relationship between the world's two largest democracies. Their central bank chiefs and top regulators also are attending.
Among the issues for discussion will be how to finance the development of India's creaking infrastructure, which offers potentially major opportunities for US companies. India estimates it needs $1 trillion in infrastructure investment during the next five years.

Corruption needs to go....hmmm let me rephrase that !Congress needs to go!
Ab Chedambram ke bari aye gi !! Hes almost screwed *Finger Crossed*

^^^^

Mate!! Corruption is a disease which is not only infected congress party but in fact 80% of our country population infected with it. We too involve in corruption be it is directly or indirectly. Why only blame politicians or political party.

regards
Jailer

The first reform is severe punishment for the corrupt leaders... not just jail and resignation where they can enjoy VIP AC jails, talk to media, talk to relative and live like kings but rather intensive penal prisons like Alcatraz of US where they are treated like vermin, beaten, abused and made to work like Mules with NO contact to outside world until they learn their lessons.

Buddy, what ever steps we have taken by putting these thugs behind the bars is not that bad. Even though we know they are enjoying all the possible benefits that they can there but still nobody would like to land in jail to enjoy these luxuries. I am glad some of the looters are there where they deserve to be. This sets a precedent that no more of these idiots will be let hold off . People can hit streets against them and I hope this fear and fear of possibility of landing in jail may push some of these idiots away from corruption. But then that's a hope..

Well it looks like India will be able to grow at around 8% a year without any further reforms.

That is very quick by the standards of any other country bar China. Looks like Asians are now settings standards of economic excellence for each other

Is 8-10% really enough?

The problem, is that the "base" GDP per capita of China and India, is very low.

So even after three whole decades of double-digit growth, the GDP per capita of China is still well below many of the other developing countries in the world.

^^^^

Mate!! Corruption is a disease which is not only infected congress party but in fact 80% of our country population infected with it. We too involve in corruption be it is directly or indirectly. Why only blame politicians or political party.

regards
Jailer
Why blame politicians when Indian Janata itself is corrupt.Basic corruption starts from voters itself.

@ Chinese dragon

Our immediate goal is poverty reduction, and not to equal per capita GDP of developed countries. With 8-9% growth we should be able to reduce poverty rates by half in 10 years. If govt opens up economy even more like China, we may hit double digit growth. Then the goal of poverty reduction looks even closer. May be from 2020 we can talk of comparing ourselves to developed countries including China.

@ Chinese dragon

Our immediate goal is poverty reduction, and not to equal per capita GDP of developed countries.

I was actually talking about other developing countries.

Due to the immense population of China, even after three decades of double-digit growth, our GDP per capita is still half that of Mexico.

It's a long uphill struggle.

RBI just had another rate hike of 50 BP.

And GOI officials are still taking about 8 percent growth. I mean, come on. Is that a possible?

Nothing wrong with 7 percent growth, but starting to fake number is worse than corruption.

You're absolutely right here and I am with you. Muse and Vcheng both are really a very dynamic poster with a critical study eyes.

regards
Jailer

I too am with you there, particularly i loved his deductive techniques. There was this thread two days back on ISI written by a former head. He really busted it from tip to toe. Vcheng isn't the average posters. He must be made a super thinktank. A one of its kind. He will be able to find the "needle in haystack" if u know what i mean.

Muse is my favourite guy here, he knows very well on most of topics and i don't think u can argue with him easily.

However i would also like to say that Sir Niaz and Santro are also among the best u know.Sir Niaz is like Joe Shearer with a flowing language along with hand on the detail all the time for sure. Santro is more straight to the point. We can say the fantastic four u know and they rock.

RBI just had another rate hike of 50 BP.

And GOI officials are still taking about 8 percent growth. I mean, come on. Is that a possible?

Nothing wrong with 7 percent growth, but starting to fake number is worse than corruption.

Who is faking numbers ? With RBI repo rate hike growth will be affected. But so much as to reduce growth rate to 7%

The pace at which India is carrying out reforms has what made it recover faster than any other country during the 2006-2007 economic crisis. Indian economy cannot digest a fast paced reform, opening sectors left and right. Trust me the PM is more knowledgeable about the economy than any of us. People may call him lot of names but when it comes to economy he knows a lot. Double digit growth without lifting people out of poverty at the same time is not good.

Back
Top Bottom