What's new

India's first paper-strip test for Covid-19, CSIR lab makes a breakthrough

BL33D

Reaction score
Country
India
csir-npl.jpg

In a major breakthrough, a team of Indian scientists have successfully developed a low-cost, paper-strip test which can detect the new coronavirus within an hour and address India’s urgent need for rapid-testing.

The test uses the cutting-edge gene-editing tool- Crispr-Cas9 to target and identify the genomic sequences of the novel coronavirus in the samples of suspected individuals.

“We have been working on this tool for around two years. But, in late January, when the outbreak hit its peak in China, we began testing it to see if it can work for Covid-19. It took us around two months to come up with these results," said Dr Debjyoti Chakraborty, from the Institute of Genomic and Integrative Biology (IGIB), CSIR’s premier laboratory in New Delhi.

The kit is similar to a portable paper-strip test used to confirm pregnancy and does not require any different specialized skill to perform and is relatively less-sophisticated.

“Unlike most rapid tests require dedicated machinery, this can be performed using standard equipments available in every pathological laboratory or even Mohalla Clinics in Delhi. This is important, because if number of infections shoot up drastically, we would need tests which can be done in local facilities. We will have to bring the tests closer to the patients to reduce transmission and this is what it does," said Dr Anurag Aggarwal, Director, CSIR-IGIB.

The team led by Dr Souvik Maiti and Dr Debjyoti Chakraborty is currently testing the kit in a patient cohort for its accuracy and sensitivity and hope to seek validation from a regulatory body of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) within a week.

Unlike the real time PCR test currently being used for diagnosis of Covid-19 in India, costing about ₹4500, the paper-strip test costs less than ₹500. It also does not depend on expensive real-time PCR machines for RNA isolation, DNA conversion and amplification, which are already in limited supply.

While scientists in other countries including Stanford University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have been testing this approach, it is the first such indigenous testing kit based on CRISPR technology to be developed in India.

As India heads for the exponential rise in the number of infections, rapid-testing would be the key strategy to ensure timely isolation of the positive cases to contain the virus from spreading fast. As on Thursday, the total number of positive cases has crossed 1,965 across the country. At least 12 more people have succumbed to the disease taking the total death toll to 50.

https://www.livemint.com/news/india...11585832200999.html?__twitter_impression=true

Bhai, let data reflecting their efficacy come to light before labelling it fake due to the developers nationality, if it works as described, it might end up saving many lives including your brethren.
I smell bs. If such a test was possible, do you think the labs in China, US and Europe are run by monkeys? And I'm not your "Bhai."

I smell bs. If such a test was possible, do you think the labs in China, US and Europe are run by monkeys? And I'm not your "Bhai."
Fair enough.

Product design does take time before maturing onto manufacturing, multiple countries are searching for solutions in multiple ways that doesn't discredit the process these researchers came up with.

Many researchers in Pakistan are also innovating for low cost rapid measures, will you similarly discredit their work so readily simply because it hasn't been done before?

Wait for the data, it will be readily available for the global scientific community to peruse, and if it's BS as you proclaim everyone will know of it and if its not and this does end up helping, won't that be embarrassing for you?

Last edited:
Wait for the data, it will be readily available for the global scientific community to peruse, and if it's BS as you proclaim everyone will know of it and if its not and this does end up helping, won't that be embarrassing for you?
Data like the one Indian scientists released on COVID-19 claiming it was a man-made virus with strands from the HIV virus and other viruses -- later to be retracted as if nothing happened. Please do.

Data like the one Indian scientists released on COVID-19 claiming it was a man-made virus with strands from the HIV virus and other viruses -- later to be retracted as if nothing happened. Please do.
Doesn't that prove my point then? if it's untrue it will be called out, especially since currently everything corona related is under intense scrutiny.

The article itself mentions, that this is going to undergo further testing to meet national healthcare guidelines.

Just wait for the data before you pounce on dem dastardly Indians.

Comprehension issue ?
Or just a plain moron.
They were working on it for last two years .
Tested only two months before.

Anyway it is meant for us .
Others we dont care

FAKE. Absolutely a con.
Congratulation to Indians if its true
Kudos to your major accomplishment after the "$10 laptop":cheers:
:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:
For our western neighbours anything coming out of India is fake.
Q
BTW here is an article by Forbes discussing use of gene-editing tool for rapid COVID detection. Same technique has been used by CSIR to develop paper strip testing kit for Coronavirus.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johncu...p-wants-to-help-halt-a-pandemic/#57e308a27631

And for your knowledge CSIR is a renowned and one of the largest public owned research laboratories in the world and it currently holds 14000 worldwide patents.

Last edited:
Comprehension issue ?
Or just a plain moron.
They were working on it for last two years .
Tested only two months before.

Anyway it is meant for us .
Others we dont care

Just like hydrooxychloroquine was for you but Trump called Modi and told him who the real superpower is.

I can definitely say it about one Nation you already mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom