What's new

India's caste system goes back 2,000 years, genetic study finds

Who exactly is a brahmin to decide what should i do.
Caste system be it in ancient times or in modern times is a tool of discrimination.
They were also the one who invented sati and other $hit.

Very nature of caste system is to discriminate and whatever you said has no factual evidence, and please tell me who are brahmins and what determines that they are indeed brahmins.

NO it is not...please do not make accusations or assumptions without any knowledge of the facts....the current version of caste system is...but the older version was not .
As i said, you could only become a Brahmin if you had the wisdom and the knowledge..I know about these things far better ...
Read post number 4 and you will understand....

The caste system back then was more based on educational qualification than by birth right ..

That doesn't make sense.

If people could change castes across generations, then we wouldn't see the genetic segregation found by the study. The segregation could only occur if the four genetic pools were kept disjoint at all times.

NO it is not...please do not make accusations or assumptions without any knowledge of the facts....the current version of caste system is...but the older version was not .
As i said, you could only become a Brahmin if you had the wisdom and the knowledge..I know about these things far better ...
Read post number 4 and you will understand....

What kind of wisdom and knowledge is required for one to become Brahmin?
On what basis are you saying that older one was not discriminatory?

The caste system back then was more based on educational qualification than by birth right .. the changes started happening slowly due to people's greed and ego .....

Do you know that meaning of sanskrit word " Varna " is colour!

Caste system always had the component of heredity.

Very nature of caste system is to discriminate and whatever you said has no factual evidence, and please tell me who are brahmins and what determines that they are indeed brahmins.

There are innumerous number of sages mentioned in RgVeda and the two great epics whose parents happened to be from the working classes but with the help of their own wit and nobler qualities the sages acquired higher ranks. Today caste system has proven to be a disease for the modification we made of it over thousand years.

That doesn't make sense.

If people could change castes across generations, then we wouldn't see the genetic segregation found by the study. The segregation could only occur if the four genetic pools were kept disjoint at all times.

There were enough reasons for such things. May not be the caste system like war, natural disaster and huge migrations. Since there are more than one wives for one man in the past in most of the civilizations and the kings have lots of wives from different set of people, this may be the reason.

I support Caste system ... i dont want to loose 9% reservation we gets here

That doesn't make sense.

The older system was called Verna system , it resembles very closely to the caste system in terms of separate classes but Verna system was based more on merit than by Birth . ..

Am not denying that the segregation did not start, as the content in the study suggests it slowly changed overtime over a few 1000 years... The Verna system was quite successful when India was isolated , However there has been a large influx of "different cultured" foreigners into India over the last 3000 years. It has changed the composition of population and has created massive social problems.

Early on, there were distinct classes of people — the priests, the nobility and the common people — but no mention of segregation or occupational restrictions. By about 3,000 years ago, the texts mention a fourth, lowest class: the Sudras. But it wasn't until about 100 B.C. that a holy text called the Manusmruti explicitly forbade intermarriage across castes.

Do you know that meaning of sanskrit word " Varna " is colour!

Caste system always had the component of heredity.

Incorrect

Varna is a Sanskrit term varṇa (वर्ण) is derived from the root vṛ, meaning "to cover, to envelop" (compare vṛtra). Derived meanings include "kind, sort, character, quality". All these meanings are already present in the Rigveda's use of the word.

Brahmins - and they are assigned the tasks (karma) of sham, dam, tapas (meditation) etc.

Kshatriyas - sattva guna is secondary. Their karma is to be warriors and show bravery and tejas.

Vaishyas - tamas guna is secondary. Their karma is to be farmers and traders.

Shudras - rajas guna is secondary. Their karma is to serve others.

Which one are you and how does it feel? And is there any way to know which my ancestors were (if they came from India)?

There were enough reasons for such things.

But apparently there is the Manusmruti which corroborates the genetic study's timing of the intermarriage segregation around 2 kya (thousand years ago).

as the content in the study suggests it slowly changed overtime over a few 1000 years...

Yes, the genetic study seems to give the same date as the Manusmruti for the generational segregation at 2 kya (thousand years ago).

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom