What's new

India’s biggest Tunnel Boring Machine is building Mumbai Coastal Road project; details

safari2021

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
1613966481495.png

Under one of the biggest green recreational open spaces in Mumbai, the coastline at the southernmost tip of the financial capital is changing at the speed of 3 metres per day. The country’s biggest Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM)- Mavala has been at work for almost a month, 20 metres under Priyadarshini Park at Nepean Sea Road, according to an IE report. From there, the TBM is burrowing metre-by-metre under Malabar Hill, towards its main challenge, an undersea portion aligned to Marine Drive, as part of the Mumbai Coastal Road project, worth Rs 12,721 crore. The project, comprising a road, a tunnel as well as an interchange, aims to link South Mumbai to the end of Worli, of the Worli-Bandra Sea Link through a high-speed corridor.

India’s first undersea tunnel is actually a twin tunnels’ set, one for each traffic carriageway. The length of the tunnel is 2.07 kilometre from Priyadarshi Park to Chhoti Chowpatty at Marine Drive, near Chowpatty beach at Girgaum. Starting from January 11, when Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray inaugurated Mavala, the TBM has drilled 30 metres of the tunnel deep under the city’s most expensive real estate so far. With a diameter of 12.19 metres, the TBM is said to be the biggest machine of its kind in India. It is 80 metres long and weighs 2,300 tonnes. Still, nearly 50 metres of the TBM is in the launching shaft where the staff of Larsen & Toubro, engineers and labourers are at work. According to officials at the site, the TBM would have burrowed enough in another fortnight to disappear into the tunnel which it is drilling.

According to the report, Priyadarshini Park was set up on reclaimed land, and the park’s 80-100 metres falls in the intertidal sea area. The tunnel will meet the sea on Malabar Hill’s other side, at Walkeshwar. From there, the tunnel will hug Marine Drive for around half a km under the sea, before opening to a connecting road overland, 4 kilometres to Nariman Point. At the end of Priyadarshini Park, the tunnel will link to a road to Haji Ali.

With this project, the coastline in South Mumbai is set to change. The road will extend the coast inside the sea up to 100 metres length. It has been planned by the BMC that 111 hectares will be reclaimed, which is 12 times the size of Oval Maidan at Churchgate. The civic body has completed about 80 hectares out of the 111-hectare land reclamation needed for the project.

According to officials at the site, the TBM can daily drill up to 10 metres, and it is currently boring the southbound traffic tunnel. To complete drilling for one tunnel, it will take about nine months. At Chhoti Chowpatty, the TBM will be removed and for boring the northbound traffic tunnel, it will be transported back to Priyadarshini Park. It will take about two years to complete the entire process of tunneling, said Vishal Thombare, Executive Engineer with the Coastal Road department.

The report further said that a huge Slurry Treatment Plant has been set up near the launching shaft of the TBM. The Slurry Treatment Plant separates the soil, stones and water round the clock. At the construction site, diggers, dumpers and cranes are at work continuously, handling material for reclamation as well as construction. Several workers, mostly migrants from the states of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, are working in two shifts. Work is likely to be over in July 2023. However, officials hope to complete the work sooner, given there are no hurdles like land acquisition or shifting of people.

Ashwini Bhide, Additional Municipal Commissioner, was quoted in the report saying that they need seamless connectivity from the city’s southern tip to the northern side. In terms of time, there would be an almost 70% reduction with this road. According to her, one will be able to reach from Princess Street flyover to Worli in just 10 to 12 minutes with 35% saving on consumption of fuel to cover over 10 kilometres. She further said that the project will add more open spaces as well as continuous promenade from Priyadarshini Park to Worli. Till now, 22% of physical work has been finished, and most of the work was done in the last six-seven months after the court stay was vacated, she added.

Kyun bhadak raha hai?

Have a king wadapav Dadar station wala and calm down.

Cheers, Doc

- PRTP GWD

- PRTP GWD
The Globalization and World Cities Study Group (GaWC) has ranked Mumbai as an 'Alpha world city.. It is also the wealthiest city in India, and has the highest GDP of any city in South, West or Central Asia. Mumbai has been ranked 6th among top 10 global cities on billionaire count, ahead of Shanghai, Paris and Los Angeles

Thank you China....

Larsen & Toubro and Freight Wings on Thursday lowered the shields of TBM Mavala – the largest tunnel boring machine (TBM) to ever be deployed in India – at the Priyadarshini Park launch ramp for building twin 1,920m tunnels of Mumbai’s 29.2 km Coastal Road (Western Freeway) project.

This slurry TBM with a diameter of 12.19m was manufactured by China Railway Construction Heavy Industry Co. Ltd. (CRCHI) and arrived in Mumbai’s Priyadarshini Park neighborhood in April 2020.

Thank you China....

Larsen & Toubro and Freight Wings on Thursday lowered the shields of TBM Mavala – the largest tunnel boring machine (TBM) to ever be deployed in India – at the Priyadarshini Park launch ramp for building twin 1,920m tunnels of Mumbai’s 29.2 km Coastal Road (Western Freeway) project.

This slurry TBM with a diameter of 12.19m was manufactured by China Railway Construction Heavy Industry Co. Ltd. (CRCHI) and arrived in Mumbai’s Priyadarshini Park neighborhood in April 2020.
Stop digging and boycott it!:omghaha:

Stop digging and boycott it!:omghaha:
I suggest Indian next time shall check the origin of their major equipment used for their major project before posting online and brag. :enjoy:

If I am Indian and know this machine is made by China. I wouldn't bother to post this major project. Lets make it hush hush! Keep quiet about it!

I suggest Indian next time shall check the origin of their major equipment used for their major project before posting online and brag. :enjoy:

If I am Indian and know this machine is made by China. I wouldn't bother to post this major project. Lets make it hush hush! Keep quiet about it!

That is the Indian nature, to boast and brag but then get slapped down. They are unable to boycott chinese products, their women are unable to escape the seduction of muslim men be it in india or the west, and worst of all they are unable to feed or house half of mumbais populace which lives in slums.

That is the Indian nature, to boast and brag but then get slapped down. They are unable to boycott chinese products, their women are unable to escape the seduction of muslim men be it in india or the west, and worst of all they are unable to feed or house half of mumbais populace which lives in slums.

Please do not take cheap baits and derail your own thread.

I have reported the off topic flame baits. I suggest you do the same.

Cheers, Doc

LOL.. I highly doubt the accuracy of this news. We all know Indian media. Maybe some cheap , simple parts but under the eyes of Indian , they think is critical.

But for TBM with such diameter, maybe you want to claim, its cheap plastic simple parts which Somalia can even build one. :enjoy:

LOL.. I highly doubt the accuracy of this news. We all know Indian media. Maybe some cheap , simple parts but under the eyes of Indian , they think is critical.

But for TBM with such diameter, maybe you want to claim, its cheap plastic simple parts which Somalia can even build one. :enjoy:
India and China are at logger heads. Have your exports to China been affected?

Cummins India MD Ashwath Ram

No. As a matter of fact, we have had record exports to China during the last 3-4 months and there has been no impact on our business with China. We have created advantages versus China in certain products. We have the scale here as well as a cost advantage.
We are able to get entry as well as continued business from China. If relations between the two countries worsens, I don't know how that will go. But as of today, we continue to have strong exports with China. We sell them gensets, engines, manufactured components..

You are a indiot of epic proportion. The fact that the article was written by a bhangee like you speaks for itself. Orangi town is a municipality within Karachi. which covers an area of 25 square miles with infrastructure such as schools, health facilities, parks, etc...I bet you wouldnt even be able to afford a plot there :D

Compare that with mumbai

Secondly the Chinese have never bragged or boasted about boycotting India, unlike you jokers :D

Lastly the difference is you low class bhangees brag about having the most billionaires in Asia within Mumbai yet are unable to feed half the city or even provide them proper sanitations. Surely Pakistan doesnt even have 10% the billionaires as India who can pay taxes or help the poor yet the infrastructure in Orangi town (poorest municipality in karachi) is still better than most of Mumbai :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom