What's new

India's Air Force to buy last remaining US-built C-17

Yes, it is proof, no matter which period it came from, I am proving parts shortage did occur and scavenging did occur. This happened even to the mighty US military. I posted two articles actually, one for DC-3 in the 50s and another for F-18 aircraft recently.

The essence of my argument is this, only dumbasses buy the LAST REMAINING AIRCRAFT IN PRODUCTION.

How sure you are I am the one lacking the knowledge on how the world works? And it is not your country that is taking the unnecessary risk in depending on FOREIGN IMPORT as always.

Ok, let me try one last time to educate you. Somehow i am beginning to think you actually believe in your argument. Your argument of 'last freaking plane' is valid only when there is a huge time gap between the last aircraft manufactured and the one before it. Basically there will be no parts shortage just because a production line has been shutdown.

Parts shortage can occur due to two major reasons, one is when the aircraft in question was produced so long ago and no other aircraft uses the same parts as it then there is obvious shortage. Other case is when a production line is shutdown abruptly due to budget issue or collapse of industry. The collapse can happen due to many reasons. Fortunately neither case is valid in the c17 scenario. The aircraft production line died a natural death, so as to speak. Meaning it was always a planned move. So it does not come as a surprise to anyone. The people that oversee the acquisition of such aircraft are thankfully not as stupid as you are. They plan before hand for the continued support and maintenance of such machines long after the production lone is closed. If you think buying the last aircraft is a mistake, is buying the one before it also a mistake?

You think parts for aircrafts are manufactured based on the serial number of their production? You think that manufacturers are saying "oh thats the last aircraft in the production line, lets tell our vendors not to manufacture any more spare parts for this one aircraft but lets continue making parts and production support for all previous aircraft"?

Ok, let me try one last time to educate you. Somehow i am beginning to think you actually believe in your argument. Your argument of 'last freaking plane' is valid only when there is a huge time gap between the last aircraft manufactured and the one before it. Basically there will be no parts shortage just because a production line has been shutdown.

Parts shortage can occur due to two major reasons, one is when the aircraft in question was produced so long ago and no other aircraft uses the same parts as it then there is obvious shortage. Other case is when a production line is shutdown abruptly due to budget issue or collapse of industry. The collapse can happen due to many reasons. Fortunately neither case is valid in the c17 scenario. The aircraft production line died a natural death, so as to speak. Meaning it was always a planned move. So it does not come as a surprise to anyone. The people that oversee the acquisition of such aircraft are thankfully not as stupid as you are. They plan before hand for the continued support and maintenance of such machines long after the production lone is closed. If you think buying the last aircraft is a mistake, is buying the one before it also a mistake?

You think parts for aircrafts are manufactured based on the serial number of their production? You think that manufacturers are saying "oh thats the last aircraft in the production line, lets tell our vendors not to manufacture any more spare parts for this one aircraft but lets continue making parts and production support for all previous aircraft"?
Let me try the last time to educate you too, the freaking production for the plane you just bought is goneeeeeeeeee.....spare parts shortage had occurred before and might occur again, so tell me the wisdom in buying the last remaining plane?

Let me try the last time to educate you too, the freaking production for the plane you just bought is goneeeeeeeeee.....spare parts shortage had occurred before and might occur again, so tell me the wisdom in buying the last remaining plane?
The Idiot Strikes Again!!, u one off article tells one time spares difficulty for the soon to be phased out F/A 18 A/B for one branch of the armed forces of US NOT the C 17 please do everyone a favour and educate yourself first ! ...pathetic:omghaha:

The Idiot Strikes Again!!, u one off article tells one time spares difficulty for the soon to be phased out F/A 18 A/B for one branch of the armed forces of US NOT the C 17 please do everyone a favour and educate yourself first ! ...pathetic:omghaha:
What makes you think C-17 might not be phased out in 10-15 years? Again, you had not answered me why it is better to buy the last remaining plane, and not devote that money to develop your own. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???

What makes you think C-17 might not be phased out in 10-15 years? Again, you had not answered me why it is better to buy the last remaining plane, and not devote that money to develop your own. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???

If you have any evidence that the C-17 will phased out provide us

India is no position to build a C-17 caliber transport aircraft. Neither is China. Look at the capabilities of the C-17

If you have any evidence that the C-17 will phased out provide us

India is no position to build a C-17 caliber transport aircraft. Neither is China. Look at the capabilities of the C-17
That's the point, why take the risk, why buy the last plane? We have the Y-20, if fitted with better domestic engines, it would be on par or better than the C-17. Have some balls my fren, do something on your own, don't keep on buying imports. You already have a 50bil deficit with China.

That's the point, why take the risk, why buy the last plane? We have the Y-20, if fitted with better domestic engines, it would be on par or better than the C-17. Have some balls my fren, do something on your own, don't keep on buying imports. You already have a 50bil deficit with China.

I asked you a simple question: When is the C-17 going to be phased out ? You do not know the answer. It is better to be wise than raising irrelevant questions. The USAF has bigger investment in the C-17. They will need to keep their transport fleet active.

The Y-20 is not comparable to C-17

India tried to build an aircraft under the MTI project with Russia. It was cancelled.

I asked you a simple question: When is the C-17 going to be phased out ? You do not know the answer. It is better to be wise than raising irrelevant questions. The USAF has bigger investment in the C-17. They will need to keep their transport fleet active.

The Y-20 is not comparable to C-17

India tried to build an aircraft under the MTI project with Russia. It was cancelled.
You asked me a question and I answered. I am asking you why is India so dependent on imports and jv for everything, Can't you just do something really indigenous for once. I would have respected India more if you stole copied and improve some Russian design, than get milked by Russia everytime.

Until now, no one is answering why it is wise to buy the LAST FREAKING PLANE instead of investing in indigenous effort. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

You asked me a question and I answered. I am asking you why is India so dependent on imports and jv for everything, Can't you just do something really indigenous for once. I would have respected India more if you stole copied and improve some Russian design, than get milked by Russia everytime.

Until now, no one is answering why it is wise to buy the LAST FREAKING PLANE instead of investing in indigenous effort. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

there is nothing wrong in buying the last aircraft. somebody has to buy the last aircraft.
You make it sound like there is next generation C-17 that is available

The achilles heel of any Indian effort to build a transport aircraft is aircraft engines. Without access to engines it is a waste of effort to build any aircraft

India manufactures the Do-228 under license. India is planning to manufacture the CN-295 aircraft under license.

there is nothing wrong in buying the last aircraft. somebody has to buy the last aircraft.
You make it sound like there is next generation C-17 that is available

The achilles heel of any Indian effort to build a transport aircraft is aircraft engines. Without access to engines it is a waste of effort to build any aircraft

India manufactures the Do-228 under license. India is planning to manufacture the CN-295 aircraft under license.
Of course somebody has to buy th elast plane, but do you want it to be INDIA? Your beloved motherland? Then continue with the engine effort, use the hundreds of millions to develop the engines, the 1 billion you used could have generated tonnes of technologies, or is DODO so incompetent, even your military doesn't trust em? Y-20 might not be on par with C-17 now, but it's a deent effort, an ecosystem is developing around it, next comes the engine, we fail once, we fail twice, we will keep on trying until we get there. Now there are 400+ WS-10 in service, good or bad? Improve it further, there must always be the first step. Just like when you say somebody has to buy the last plane, I say somebody has got to take the first step!

Of course somebody has to buy th elast plane, but do you want it to be INDIA? Your beloved motherland? Then continue with the engine effort, use the hundreds of millions to develop the engines, the 1 billion you used could have generated tonnes of technologies, or is DODO so incompetent, even your military doesn't trust em? Y-20 might not be on par with C-17 now, but it's a deent effort, an ecosystem is developing around it, next comes the engine, we fail once, we fail twice, we will keep on trying until we get there. Now there are 400+ WS-10 in service, good or bad? Improve it further, there must always be the first step. Just like when you say somebody has to buy the last plane, I say somebody has got to take the first step!

you want to invest in things that are not available as opposed to things that are available

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/india-us-in-talks-for-c-17-deal/article19656203.ece
NEW DELHI , September 10, 2017 21:43 IST
Updated: September 11, 2017 01:09 IST

TH11BOEINGNEWS2

The aircraft will be handed over within a month of signing the contract
India is in talks with the U.S. for buying another Boeing C-17 Globemaster transport aircraft to be added to its fleet of 10.

Since induction in 2013, the aircraft has become the mainstay of India’s humanitarian assistance and disaster relief efforts.

On June 26, the State Department notified Congress of a possible sale, approving it under the Foreign Military Sales programme. “The validity of the Letter of Acceptance for the sale expires in mid-October and India has to conclude the deal before that or ask the U.S. for an extension,” an official said.

The aircraft, along with associated equipment, technical support and warranty, is estimated to cost $366.2 million.

“The aircraft will be handed over within a month of the contract having been signed after some routine checks and maintenance. The handover will be done in the U.S. itself, and it will be flown to India by Indian pilots,” Pratyush Kumar, president, Boeing India, told The Hindu.

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) gave its approval for the purchase in December last.

Big push

“The proposed sale will improve India’s capability to meet the current and future strategic airlift requirements ... India lies in a region prone to natural disasters and will use the additional capability [aircraft] for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief,” the Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), which manages the Foreign Military Sales programme, said in a statement in June.

In 2011, India purchased 10 C-17s under the Foreign Military Sales programme worth $4.1 billion, which had a follow-on clause for six more aircraft. However, the delay in decision-making in the Defence Ministry meant the IAF missed out on the opportunity. The last C-17 aircraft left Boeing’s Long Beach plant in California in 2015.

While the C-17 assembly line was shut down, Boeing made 10 additional aircraft without any order and offered them to all existing customers, including India. New Delhi’s silence meant nine pieces were picked by the existing users and one is left with Boeing.

Back
Top Bottom