What's new

India's Advise to Its Students Stuck in Bangladesh: Stay in Hostels, Be Safe Amid Coronavirus Scare

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
India's Advise to Its Students Stuck in Bangladesh: Stay in Hostels, Be Safe Amid Coronavirus Scare

The Indian government's advice came amid reports that group of 70 Kashmiri students studying in Dhaka are stranded at Benaport, the border area between India and Bangladesh, after their colleges were shut.
UPDATED ON: MARCH 24, 2020, 7:58 PM IST
PTI
Representative image
collegestudents2.jpg

India on Tuesday asked its students studying in Bangladesh not to panic and stay at their hostels after their colleges were shut due to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic that has left over 16,500 people dead worldwide.

The Indian government's advice came amid reports that group of 70 Kashmiri students studying in Dhaka are stranded at Benaport, the border area between India and Bangladesh, after their colleges were shut. The outbreak of the pandemic has forced the government to put travel restrictions.

"We urge Indian students also to stay in your hostels and stay protected," the Indian High Commission in Dhaka tweeted.

"If you stay safe, we can break the chain. We are here to help you. Our helplines are available 24X7. Please call us at 00 880 255067371 or 00 880 255067372," the mission said.

India is working to contain spread of COVID19, it said.

"Our prime minister has urged all to take precautions not panic. In interest of public health,

www.news18.com/amp/news/world/indias-advise-to-its-students-stuck-in-bangladesh-stay-in-hostels-be-safe-amid-coronavirus-scareindia-asks-its-students-in-bangladesh-to-stay-in-hostels-amid-coronavirus-scare-2549659.html

Kashmiri students stuck in Bangladesh won’t be brought back to India

Indian government to strictly follow restrictions in movement from across borders, stranded students to be told to go back to hostels.

NAYANIMA BASU

24 March, 2020
Srinagar-Lal-Chowk-696x392.jpg

J&K in a lockdown in the wake of the coronavirus spread | Photo: ANI
New Delhi: About 70 Kashmiri students stranded at Benapole on the India-Bangladesh border will not be brought back to India, ThePrint has learnt. The students study at a medical college in Bangladesh, according to a video that has gone viral.

“In view of the advisory on restrictions in movement from other countries into India and within India itself, border crossings are suspended,” an official source said. “The students are therefore advised to go back to their hostels in the interest of their health and safety and also of the community.”

This, however, is not the first such case of Indian students studying abroad having got stuck due to the stringent travel restrictions being put in place by the Indian government. All international passenger flights coming into India have been barred from landing here until 31 March.

Last week Indian students studying in the UK literally gate-crashed the Indian High Commission in London and sought refuge, demanding they be sent back to India despite the travel restrictions in place.

The situation had turned into chaos as most of the students had already had their flights booked back to India for later this month, as this is the time when the Easter break period begins at universities in the UK.

Everyone want to stay with family in this time. So your govt should take them for the sake of humanity.

They were less than 300km away from India, they could have come in anytime. Getting from Dhaka to Kolkata is the easiest thing in the world, and pretty cheap too. They have had loads of time. This corona thing started getting serious more than 4 weeks ago. For at least 3 weeks, there have been all sorts of signs and signals from the Indian govt that sooner or later, they are going to close borders. Unless they were living under a rock(which still isn't an excuse), there is no way way they couldn't have known. What I don't like is their video which is showing that somehow the govt is at fault for harassing them and not letting them in. Now, its they who are at fault for ignoring all advice.

In any case, what's done is done, I hope they are allowed back in.

These educated Kashmiri students should be given honorary Bangladeshi citizenship so they can find safe haven outside of racist India. I have said this before and I stand by my former statement...

These educated Kashmiri students should be given honorary Bangladeshi citizenship so they can find safe haven outside of racist India. I have said this before and I stand by my former statement...
You can give them that anytime. But I highly doubt they would decide to stay in ur safe heaven.

They are fairly safe in Bangladesh, no big breakout of the the virus there yet.
I remember there were some Indian members on PDF opening threads left and right when coronavirus had just started spreading in Wuhan China...
...about how other countries had evacuated their citizens from there while Pakistan hadn't...
...I wonder what they have to say now. I can't recall who those members were.

@Dubious I think u were there too...plz tag those ppl if u remember who they were.

I remember there were some Indian members on PDF opening threads left and right when coronavirus had just started spreading in Wuhan China...
...about how other countries had evacuated their citizens from there while Pakistan hadn't...
...I wonder what they have to say now. I can't recall who those members were.

@Dubious I think u were there too...plz tag those ppl if u remember who they were.

And is coronavirus spreading in Bangladesh? And that was before it had spread all over the world. Now its the same, India/Bangladesh or China.

Indian government to strictly follow restrictions in movement from across borders, stranded students to be told to go back to hostels.
I cannot say that the Indian govt decision is bad. Kashmir is not near Benapol border. It is far away from the border. The students must overcome many hurdles to reach their respective homes in Kashmir a few thousand km away.

No place or country is safe now. I think it would be better for these students to remain locked in the hostels and some organ in the education ministry looks after their daily living until the situation gets normal.

Why doesn't the Indian Government pull more stunts and send special planes to bring all Indians home?

Why doesn't Pakistan Space Agency send its state of the art rockets? Oops i forgot it hasn't any.

Don't talk about what you don't know. And don't hijack the thread with useless side-topics.

Back
Top Bottom