What's new

Indians arrested for Facebook post on Mumbai shutdown

Freedom of Speech is not absolute per Indian Law.

I have no interest in debating the law either ways.

The action was taken in the best interests of the larger good.

I am satisfied.

Those who are not should go to Pragati Maidan (or Times Square) and cry me a river.

Doc, please then explain the meaning of freedom of speech. "Larger good" means one has to be careful not to offend the majority of the people - is that correct? Does that not automatically mean suppression of the thoughts of minorities (thoughts/races/religions)?

Btw, your last line, especially in the parenthesis, betrays a sense of superior patriotism just because you live in India. Aapke jaise bahut Pakistani dekhe the....pehli baar Indian dekh raha hoon.

Agreed....doc you are among the more intelligent and self-reflective posters on this forum, and I understand that you respect BT for some reason(s). But not all of us need to, or have to respect him the same way as you. To someone's point, The UPA government is in power with so many people's mandate (and associated love, respect etc.). But that doesn't and shouldn't mean their critics should be jailed for voicing their opinion.

Thank you for your kind words. Like all humans, I am a sucker for praise.

I have said this before bro - while debating the freedom of speech deal with Asim when this forum had become blocked during the NE fiasco.

As an Indian, I had serious concerns at the time.

My participation here is voluntary. As is the girl's on FB.

But we have a responsibility - a larger reach and span of affect that we usually do not realize.

During the WWII there was a famous poster amongst the Brits - Loose lips sink ships.

It means we need to be careful about what we say.

The freedom given to us by our Constitution comes with rights as a citizen attached.

We are usually strident about one and largely cavalier about the other.

P.S. My repartee with Jay was not meant for all American Indian expats.

Only those who pontificate with the "you Indian" "your India" line.

Then they get the treatment.

hero for some people doesnt mean he is a national hero...... for me he is just a religious lunatic...

Yes, I kind of share your opinion, but we are discussing that a person's love/hate for the man and the party should be out of the equation....the issue is of the suppression of freedom of speech. And that is a shame.

By extension of your logic almost every Indian member should arrested here for criticizing Sonia Gandhi and MMS

By extension of your reasoning it seems to me that criticizing few people can result in arrest while its okay to insult others? might is right defines this action?

do you have problem reading mate? bal thakery was never declared a terrorist by any one . hafiz saeed is .

so is narindra modi and babu bajrangi, these terrorists have received indian state protection

hafiz saaed is not declared terrorist in pakistan, infact he is freed from the case, roams free according to the law

By extension of your reasoning it seems to me that criticizing few people can result in arrest while its okay to insult others? might is right defines this action?

Why are you jumping to the conclusion when only the FIR has been filed?

India Law Journal

Freedom of speech, though guaranteed, is not absolute in India. Unlike the U.S. Constitution, the text of India's Constitution clearly sets out restrictions on free speech.

Moreover, it is important to note that liberty of one must not offend the liberty of others. Patanjali Shastri,J. in A.K. Gopalan case, observed,“man as a rational being desires to do many things, but in a civil society his desires will have to be controlled with the exercise of similar desires by other individuals”.

so is narindra modi and babu bajrangi, these terrorists have received indian state protection

hafiz saaed is not declared terrorist in pakistan, infact he is freed from the case, roams free according to the law

Narendra Modi has no & i repeat NO case against him, not even an FIR, also the SUPREME COURT appointed SIT gave him an absolutely clean chit, do you know anything better than the SC of the largest democracy on earth??? he is a CM of a state of India which has population of 6 crore, Babu Bajrangi has been punished by Indian court,so u don't have to worry about it.

On the other hand it hardly matters what Pakistan thinks, when every other nation on earth thinks/declared Hafeez Saeed as Terrorist, anyways opinion of that state hardly matters who gave the world's most dreaded terrorist shelter.

Maybe the Indian Police arrested the girls for their own protection.

A comment like that would have led rampaging fanatic mobs to lynch those girls.

Narendra Modi has no & i repeat NO case against him, not even an FIR, also the SUPREME COURT appointed SIT gave him an absolutely clean chit, do you know anything better than the SC of the largest democracy on earth??? he is a CM of a state of India which has population of 6 crore, Babu Bajrangi has been punished by Indian court,so u don't have to worry about it.

On the other hand it hardly matters what Pakistan thinks, when every other nation on earth thinks/declared Hafeez Saeed as Terrorist, anyways opinion of that state hardly matters who gave the world's most dreaded terrorist shelter.

Hafiz saaed has no i repeat NO case against him in the international court of justice, the terrorism charges are based on accusations then ctual proof and trial

and i repeat he has been freed yes he is FREED from pakistani court

So i hv skipped the 5 pages-

i am only interested in the "excuses" indians here put forward to justify this act of stupidity?-
i am sure there are many- and they always come up with good excuses when the thrash is on them-

India Law Journal

Freedom of speech, though guaranteed, is not absolute in India. Unlike the U.S. Constitution, the text of India's Constitution clearly sets out restrictions on free speech.

Moreover, it is important to note that liberty of one must not offend the liberty of others. Patanjali Shastri,J. in A.K. Gopalan case, observed,“man as a rational being desires to do many things, but in a civil society his desires will have to be controlled with the exercise of similar desires by other individuals”.

3) For expressing belief and political attitudes - freedom of speech provides opportunity to express one’s belief and show political attitudes. It ultimately results in the welfare of the society and state. Thus, freedom of speech provides a mechanism by which it would be possible to establish a reasonable balance between stability and social change.

- In the same article what you quoted. My take is that she showed her political attitude.

Then maybe each and every leader should be arrested and placed in high protection jail to prevent some terrorists or gunda from attacking them instead of all the NSG protecting them. That way we will get maximum work done as well. ;)

i am amazaed you are looking at the supposed positive side of an incident-
Oh well its you and it has happened in india- so being an honest Pakistani that you are- you can skip few of your principles on that-
its ok- i can understand- carry on-
Maybe Bala Sahib came out of the grave to help save the poor child and her friend--

Back
Top Bottom