What's new

INDIAN STEALTH WARSHIP makes contact with Pakistani naval vessels near western coast

Stephen Cohen

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...s-near-western-coast/articleshow/52483243.cms

Indian warship makes contact with Pakistani naval vessels near western coast

KOLKATA: Two warships of the Western Fleet were scrambled from Mumbai on Friday after Pakistani naval vessels were detected close to Indian territorial waters.

This happened hours after the stealth frigate INS Tarkash came in contact with Pakistani warships in international waters.

INS Tarkash is one of three Indian warships that called on ports in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) recently in a show of cooperation and friendship.

"The INS Delhi, INS Deepak and INS Tarkash berthed at several ports in the UAE including Dubai, Bahrain and Muscat. Meetings were also held between senior officers of the Indian and UAE navies.

While the Indian ships were in the UAE, Indian defence minister Manohar Parrikar also paid a visit to the Emirates and held talks with officials there.

On the way back, while INS Delhi and INS Deepak headed straight for base,

INS Tarkash took a slightly roundabout route. While sailing in international waters close to a fleet of Pakistani warships and was asked to back off," a source in the Navy said.

In naval parlance, this act by the INS Tarkash is called "fingering".

The stealth frigate is an upgraded version of the Talwar class of ships and was commissioned in the Navy in 2012. Built in Russia, the INS Tarkash has state-of-the-art sensors and communications equipment and is BrahMos missile capable.

Any country is bound to get jittery if it detects such a lethal platform close to its territorial waters. For the Navy, this is an opportunity to check on the ship's stealth and other capabilities.

"This is sort of a cat and mouse game. The Pakistani warships may have followed INS Tarkash as she headed back towards Mumbai.

The Pakistani ships were picked up as they approached Indian territorial waters and the two warships set off from Mumbai to herd them off, should they get too close. All countries engage in such prowling close to the territorial waters of neighbours. We keep on getting similar contacts from Chinese warships in the Bay of Bengal," the source added.

Pakistan is certainly aware that the INS Tarkash was part of the three-ship team that visited the UAE. Good ties — both military and otherwise — with the UAE are sought after by India as well as Pakistan. While Pakistan had enjoyed good relations with the Emirates in the past, India's ties with the UAE were strengthened after Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit in 2015.

Last edited:
"This is sort of a cat and mouse game. The Pakistani warships may have followed INS Tarkash as she headed back towards Mumbai. The Pakistani ships were picked up as they approached Indian territorial waters and the two warships set off from Mumbai to herd them off, should they get too close. All countries engage in such prowling close to the territorial waters of neighbours. We keep on getting similar contacts from Chinese warships in the Bay of Bengal," the source added.

Pakistan is certainly aware that the INS Tarkash was part of the three-ship team that visited the UAE. Good ties — both military and otherwise — with the UAE are sought after by India as well as Pakistan. While Pakistan had enjoyed good relations with the Emirates in the past, India's ties with the UAE were strengthened after Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit in 2015.

(Remaining part of the article which was missed in OP)

Mate what I do is post the first paragraph so that people start reading it

Then in a few minutes I add the remaining paras -- It is the thrill of Breaking news :-)

I got a feeling that the article is incomplete (especially the source is ToI, and the way they spice up the stories), so checked the article....

Not a big deal i guess..... These things happens...... PN knows their limits and they wont cross their line.....

In naval parlance, this act by the INS Tarkash is called "fingering".

I want to make a joke about tracking Pakistani naval vessels last night before bed, but goodness that's too easy:o:.

:bunny::partay:

Anyone else starting to hate the word "stealth?" I had a stealth meatball sub for lunch today. Mmm, mmm the planform edge alignment complimented the cheese sooooo good:D.

INS_Tarkash.jpg

INS Tarkash has stealth features, but it's also got a lot that is bad for stealth. Zumwalt, Visby, Skjold, those are true stealth designs, not conventional hulls with stealth features sprinkled in like the Arleigh Burkes.

For Maker's sake, Skjold even has a RAM coating:o:!! How often do we see this on ships?

HD_1193_23.02.2015_23.02.jpg

I've even seen "stealth submarine" starting to sprout upo_O!! News flash media people, that's the point of a submarine:disagree:.

Next thing we know, people will be calling USS Ford a Stealth Carrier:

USS-Gerald-R.-Ford-CVN-78.jpg

It does have stealth elements though. Seems this "stealth" thing is getting a bit too buzzwordy.

Anyway, seems India's sea tracking capabilities are working as intended. Good work, keep it up.

Last edited:
I got a feeling that the article is incomplete (especially the source is ToI, and the way they spice up the stories), so checked the article....

Not a big deal i guess..... These things happens...... PN knows their limits and they wont cross their line.....
Explain please.
The word stealth has lost its true meaning nowadays. Every country is claiming stealth ships,
steatlh submarines and soon India will introduce the term stealth aircraft carrier.

It does have stealth elements though. Seems this "stealth" thing is getting a bit too buzzwordy.

Anyway, seems India's sea tracking capabilities are working as intended. Good work, keep it up.

It looks like that the Indian navy was TESTING the stealth capabilities of its own warship
AND the detection capabilities of Pakistani navy

That is why this ship INS Tarkash went ALONE towards the Fleet of Pakistani naval vessels

The word stealth has become a joke now.
Having spent 9 years of my life out in the high seas,I can't figure out how a warship can be stealth.
We could easily pick fiber glass boats on radar from at least 8 miles and ships from almost 50 miles,and we only had Raccal Decca ARPA, nothing special

Yeah I'm sure Vedic coast guards can even take down USN.

There is too great a difference between ICG and USN. The similar one between IN and PN.

As Pakistan keeps crying about India escalating things,I thought its better to respond " proportionally " , although that too is an over kill.

May be western fleet of ICG and PN is more fair competition.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom