What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

This Capability is only made for special purposes hence nothing available in public media.
I got this information from personal sources at ISRO.
I can share much more details about it but I will not going to do so because of sensitive information.
By the way CARTOSAT-2C also have such Capabilities but with some limitations (which are found during surgical Strike missions , last year)

It's because, GSLV is still not in regular Production stage. The last launch of GSLV MK-III D1 was one of the developmental launch.
As soon as, it gets full green light, no Indian satellite (upto 4tonns) will take off on foreign rockets.
OK, so no open source capability?

OK, so no open source capability?
CARTOSAT-2C already proved its Capability just after few days of its launch.
Also, there are many confidential features on the satellites of China. There is nothing new about it.
Everything should be available in open-source is not always Necessary.

Why are you comparing to LM-3B? LM-5 is 14 tonnes, why are you afraid of the number? LOL.

Full potential, ISRO don't even dare to launch at 4 tonnes for this first launch. Why? Your next 3 tonnes plus is still gonna be launched by Ariane. LOL
The LM 5 is rated for 14 tonnes but carried only a 4 tonne satellite to orbit in its only mission . WHY ??
Also this satellite fell short of its intended insert orbit ? So not very successful.
You should boast of a capability once you prove its working , not based on future imagined successes.

Another PSLV Launch on 23rd june

In order to provide high resolution, this satellite will prove more specific scene spot imagery. PSLV-C38/Cartosat-2 Series Satellite mission is scheduled to be launched from ISRO's trusted workhouse - SDSC SHAR, Sriharikota, located in Andhra Pradesh.

About the mission:

* This is similar to earlier launched satellites in the series. The Cartosat-2 Series Satellite along with co-passenger satellites from abroad is planned to be launched by PSLV-C38 into the altitude of 500 km
Cartosat-2 Series has the capability of a long-track and across-track steering, up to 26 degrees

* ISRO has invested an amount of Rs. 160 Crores for this mission

* The satellite will have a single panchromatic camera along with multi-spectral cameras which can detect scene specific images

* Co-passenger satellites includes nano-satellites, one each from various countries. Using the panchromatic camera, the satellite will have a multi-spectral instrument, which will support it in adapting high-resolution land observation and cartography

* Cartosat-2 Series whose PAN camera covers 50 degrees of the payload area can steer up to 45 degrees on-track as well as across and will cover the entire earth in 1867 orbits on a 126-day cycle

* Not only capturing images, the satellite also has the ability to record videos from the sky. It will help in scanning a wide range of activities involving military and civil planning

Facts

* The satellite can produce images of up to 100 cm in resolution but in black and white specifically, compared to the 80 cm offered by Ikonos

* In the past, India used to buy in bulk images from Ikonos at about USD 20 per sq km of imagery

* With Cartosat-2 offering better resolution at 20 times lower cost per sq m of imagery, buying images from Ikonos has declined."

@Han Patriot . Your query on video answered.

The LM 5 is rated for 14 tonnes but carried only a 4 tonne satellite to orbit in its only mission . WHY ??
Also this satellite fell short of its intended insert orbit ? So not very successful.
You should boast of a capability once you prove its working , not based on future imagined successes.
Because nobody in the world has a 14 tonne satellite, LOL. Nice try buddy.
Right, I am sure it failed. :lol:
Anyway I am trying my best to stick to the thread to talk about Indian Space rather than Chinese, please don't derail this post. My question is why launch 3.2 only? Why not something closer to 4 to test it's capability? Can you please answer me?

Another PSLV Launch on 23rd june

In order to provide high resolution, this satellite will prove more specific scene spot imagery. PSLV-C38/Cartosat-2 Series Satellite mission is scheduled to be launched from ISRO's trusted workhouse - SDSC SHAR, Sriharikota, located in Andhra Pradesh.

About the mission:

* This is similar to earlier launched satellites in the series. The Cartosat-2 Series Satellite along with co-passenger satellites from abroad is planned to be launched by PSLV-C38 into the altitude of 500 km
Cartosat-2 Series has the capability of a long-track and across-track steering, up to 26 degrees

* ISRO has invested an amount of Rs. 160 Crores for this mission

* The satellite will have a single panchromatic camera along with multi-spectral cameras which can detect scene specific images

* Co-passenger satellites includes nano-satellites, one each from various countries. Using the panchromatic camera, the satellite will have a multi-spectral instrument, which will support it in adapting high-resolution land observation and cartography

* Cartosat-2 Series whose PAN camera covers 50 degrees of the payload area can steer up to 45 degrees on-track as well as across and will cover the entire earth in 1867 orbits on a 126-day cycle

* Not only capturing images, the satellite also has the ability to record videos from the sky. It will help in scanning a wide range of activities involving military and civil planning

Facts

* The satellite can produce images of up to 100 cm in resolution but in black and white specifically, compared to the 80 cm offered by Ikonos

* In the past, India used to buy in bulk images from Ikonos at about USD 20 per sq km of imagery

* With Cartosat-2 offering better resolution at 20 times lower cost per sq m of imagery, buying images from Ikonos has declined."

@Han Patriot . Your query on video answered.
Can you post me the source? And no where does it say video capability.

Fine then let's assume it's a 4 tonne rocket. So why don't ISRO launch something closer to 4 tonnes? :partay: Why not 2 satellites? One at 600kg and another 3.2 tonnes? That's what you are saying right?

Btw, where is the source for your video sat?
No assuming . Until proven with 14 t , LM5 IS a 4t rocket.
I cant post links. But the above post is from here...
"ISRO to launch another series of Cartosat-2 in PSLV-C38 this month; key things to know."

Google it.

OK, so you agree MKIII is a 3.2 tonne rocket launcher? LOL. Don't tell me about another future launch plz. I am asking now
Does China make every satellite equal to the exact payload capacity of the rocket? Did you drop yourself on the head sometime?
Stop the envy and move on. China can't just wish India away. You can keep breeding pigs, we will cure them into fine bacon when you decide to unleash them.

OK, so you agree MKIII is a 3.2 tonne rocket launcher? LOL. Don't tell me about another future launch plz. I am asking now

It is generally a good idea to not use 100% of a rockets capability within the first couple of launches. This gives some margin for underperformance or other issues that may pop up.

I read somewhere ISRO has already began the process of increasing GSLV MK-3 GTO payload capacity from 4 tons to 4.5 tons so next launch should carry a payload closer to 4 tons.

Fine then let's assume it's a 4 tonne rocket. So why don't ISRO launch something closer to 4 tonnes? :partay: Why not 2 satellites? One at 600kg and another 3.2 tonnes? That's what you are saying right?
Why are you repeatedly wants to derail the thread?
As I stated above that this is a developmental launch and there was some limitations by Payload fairing. Hope you're
This launch carries 3136kg of active load and 2 more passive equipments weighs of ~300kgs which were used to monitor the performance of various stages.
Soon, you might saw the payload of more than 4 Tonn on same Mk-3 because ISRO already proved its Capability by launching 2832Kg satellite on 2.5Tn capable rocket.

@The Eagle , its all upto you , why this guys is interested to derail this thread?

Everybody in the world, wants to launch its sats with minimum expenditure but here , you are the guys who launch 3 ton of sats on 14 Ton capacity rockets (when there is a option of 3.5ton class rocket is already present).
Please suggest me a good designation (word) to those who like to spend too much when they have an economic option because if I stated that designation admins finds it defaming.
Choices is yours.

============================================================
Right now, I'm unable to fetch the Complete data but I believe the total number of satellites launch by ISRO might be higher than Chinese space agency. I'll surely share the data soon.
Because , ISRO is already mastered in multiple satellite launch with one rocket whereas its counterpart is yet to do a lot in this field.
@K210 @Mufflerman @lastone
========

Why are you repeatedly wants to derail the thread?
As I stated above that this is a developmental launch and there was some limitations by Payload fairing. Hope you're
This launch carries 3136kg of active load and 2 more passive equipments weighs of ~300kgs which were used to monitor the performance of various stages.
Soon, you might saw the payload of more than 4 Tonn on same Mk-3 because ISRO already proved its Capability by launching 2832Kg satellite on 2.5Tn capable rocket.

@The Eagle , its all upto you , why this guys is interested to derail this thread?

Everybody in the world, wants to launch its sats with minimum expenditure but here , you are the guys who launch 3 ton of sats on 14 Ton capacity rockets (when there is a option of 3.5ton class rocket is already present).
Please suggest me a good designation (word) to those who like to spend too much when they have an economic option because if I stated that designation admins finds it defaming.
Choices is yours.

============================================================
Right now, I'm unable to fetch the Complete data but I believe the total number of satellites launch by ISRO might be higher than Chinese space agency. I'll surely share the data soon.
Because , ISRO is already mastered in multiple satellite launch with one rocket whereas its counterpart is yet to do a lot in this field.
@K210 @Mufflerman @lastone
========
I don't want to derail the thread but your member keep on bring China into the conversation.

Hey it means India is having more advanced technology than US, why not launch 200 nos of 1 kg satellites? Then nobody can break the record, not even Ariane, ooo wait you still need Ariane to launch for you.

What if some country launch 1000 bolt size satellites? Then another launching 10 000 coin sized satellites? Use some common sense.

Btw, can you show me some source GSLV-MKIII was carrying additional 300kg?

Last edited:
I don't want to derail the thread but your member keep on bring China into the conversation.
It's you who started it by comparing development on the basis of buildings.
You're free to defame others(India) on any basis anything because admin like defamed India.
Hey it means India is having more advanced technology than US, why not launch 200 nos of 1 kg satellites? Then nobody can break the record, not even Ariane, ooo wait you still need Ariane to launch for you.
Why don't Chinese space agency tried it? But also they are afraid of co-passenger launch missions. And here, you are the only who said India has advanced tech than US.
We can understand your situation. CHEERS!
What if some country launch 1000 bolt size satellites? Then another launching 10 000 coin sized satellites? Use some common sense.
We don't believe in sending non-useful material to space.
Hope you remember that out of 104 sats , 96 are from US itself and the heaviest from India
Btw, can you show me some source GSLV-MKIII was carrying additional 300kg?
I mentioned nearly 300 kgs and that's was only to track the performance of rockets.
Hence many agencies were reporting it as 3.3ton launch from which 3126kg is the weight of GSAT-19E
http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http:...c02412907104941d9979/&grqid=EUAKwnO-&hl=en-IN

ISRO should focus on improving GSLV MK-3's payload capacity asap. By the time MK-3 reaches its final form it should be able to lift 6.5 ton - 7.5 ton to GTO and 13 ton to 15 ton to LEO.

Published in IRDW.ORG
source IANS
The “Baahubali” or “fat boy” of Indian rockets — GSLV Mk III — weighs several tonnes more than some of the other expendable rockets in the world but its carrying capacity is far less, say experts. On June 5, India successfully flight-tested its brand new rocket, the 640 tonne Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle-Mark III (GSLV Mk III) nick-named “Baahubali” by the Telugu media and “fat boy” by officials of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). The rocket powered by its own cryogenic engine at the upper stage, placed communication satellite GSAT-19 weighing 3,136 kg or 3.1 tonne. “The GSLV Mk III rocket weighs 640 tonne with a capacity to carry four tonne satellite. But when one compares the ratio of the GSLV Mk III’s weight to its carrying capacity to geo transfer orbit (GTO – where communication satellites will be placed) with rockets of other countries, the former ranks low,” an industry expert told IANS on the condition of anonymity. For instance, Japan’s H-IIB rocket weighs 531 tonne but can place an eight tonne rocket in GTO. Similarly, Soyuz, Russia (312 tonne, payload to GTO 3.2 tonne); Falcon, USA (549 tonne, payload to GTO 8.3 tonne) and Proton, Russia (693 tonne, payload to GTO 6.3 tonne); Long March, China (weight 879 tonne, payload to GTO 14 tonne) and Ariane 5, Europe (777 tonne, payload 10.9 tonne). Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh is the second best rocket launch site in the world, the expert added. Agreeing that the GSLV Mk III payload to GTO as compared to other rockets is less, G Ayyappan, Project Director, GSLV Mk III, cited a couple of reasons for it. “From the rocket’s propulsion point of view, in foreign rockets, the lower stages (engines at the lower part of the rocket that are fired first to lift the rocket and make it escape earth’s gravitational force) are powered by semi-cryogenic or cryogenic engines,” Ayyappan said. The thrust power of semi-cryogenic or cryogenic engines are higher than that of engines fired with solid fuel. The GSLV Mk III is a three stage/engine rocket. The core of first stage is fired with solid fuel and its two motors by liquid fuel. The second stage is liquid fuel and the third is the cryogenic engine. “We use solid fuel in the lower stages as it is cheaper than cryogenic fuel. Even other space agencies are looking to use solid fuel to cut costs,” ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre Director S. Somanath told IANS. “But other space agencies are looking at solid fuel to reduce cost only after their rockets carry far much heavier satellites than Indian rockets,” the space industry expert pointed out. ISRO officials said the mass of communication satellites is also coming down and hence India may not need a heavy-lift rocket. “Nearly 55-60 per cent of a satellite’s weight consists of its chemical fuel. Now the idea is to shift to electric propulsion of satellites which would reduce their weight,” Ayyappan pointed out. Somanath said: “ISRO started designing GSLV Mk III with four tonne carrying capacity when it was making two tonne satellites. At the global level also the weight of satellites are coming down. It is very difficult to predict the market trends.” “Electric propulsion will not drastically reduce the weight of satellites to make much of a difference in the rocket’s carrying capacity and it cannot replace chemical fuel. The chemical fuel will be used to take the satellite to its space slot and for managing it later electric propulsion would be used,” the expert said. “The Chinese government approved the Long March 5 project sometime mid-2000 to have a rocket with a capacity of 14 tonne. The size of communication satellites will have to go up as there is limitation on the orbital slots. It all boils down to planning and also predicting the global trends,” the expert added. Citing the example of Japanese H-IIB rocket, Ayyappan said the Japanese use lot of composite materials to make the rocket more efficient and light weight. “In future we will also be using more composites in the upper stages instead of metal. Half of the rocket’s velocity is achieved only at the upper stage and composite will be the only choice in future,” Ayyappan said. “The specific impulse of our cryogenic engine is also slightly less than that of others,” Somanath added while listing out other reasons for GSLV Mk III’s lower carrying capacity. “The aluminium used in some foreign rockets are less dense and their weight is less. We will also use such materials to reduce the weight of our cryogenic stage by 500-600 kg,” he said. Somanath said there are plans to reduce the weight of the electronics by around 150 kg so that every kilogram of weight reduced increases the payload capacity. According to him, switching off and restarting of cryogenic stage in the space would also increase the rocket’s capacity. Experts said India has to realise its semi-cryogenic stage faster and it cannot have the luxury of spending a decade or more in developing newer rocket technologies. “We are planning to realise the semi-cryogenic engine in 2019 and the entire stage by 2021,” Somanath said.

Published in IRDW.ORG
source IANS
The “Baahubali” or “fat boy” of Indian rockets — GSLV Mk III — weighs several tonnes more than some of the other expendable rockets in the world but its carrying capacity is far less, say experts. On June 5, India successfully flight-tested its brand new rocket, the 640 tonne Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle-Mark III (GSLV Mk III) nick-named “Baahubali” by the Telugu media and “fat boy” by officials of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). The rocket powered by its own cryogenic engine at the upper stage, placed communication satellite GSAT-19 weighing 3,136 kg or 3.1 tonne. “The GSLV Mk III rocket weighs 640 tonne with a capacity to carry four tonne satellite. But when one compares the ratio of the GSLV Mk III’s weight to its carrying capacity to geo transfer orbit (GTO – where communication satellites will be placed) with rockets of other countries, the former ranks low,” an industry expert told IANS on the condition of anonymity. For instance, Japan’s H-IIB rocket weighs 531 tonne but can place an eight tonne rocket in GTO. Similarly, Soyuz, Russia (312 tonne, payload to GTO 3.2 tonne); Falcon, USA (549 tonne, payload to GTO 8.3 tonne) and Proton, Russia (693 tonne, payload to GTO 6.3 tonne); Long March, China (weight 879 tonne, payload to GTO 14 tonne) and Ariane 5, Europe (777 tonne, payload 10.9 tonne). Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh is the second best rocket launch site in the world, the expert added. Agreeing that the GSLV Mk III payload to GTO as compared to other rockets is less, G Ayyappan, Project Director, GSLV Mk III, cited a couple of reasons for it. “From the rocket’s propulsion point of view, in foreign rockets, the lower stages (engines at the lower part of the rocket that are fired first to lift the rocket and make it escape earth’s gravitational force) are powered by semi-cryogenic or cryogenic engines,” Ayyappan said. The thrust power of semi-cryogenic or cryogenic engines are higher than that of engines fired with solid fuel. The GSLV Mk III is a three stage/engine rocket. The core of first stage is fired with solid fuel and its two motors by liquid fuel. The second stage is liquid fuel and the third is the cryogenic engine. “We use solid fuel in the lower stages as it is cheaper than cryogenic fuel. Even other space agencies are looking to use solid fuel to cut costs,” ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre Director S. Somanath told IANS. “But other space agencies are looking at solid fuel to reduce cost only after their rockets carry far much heavier satellites than Indian rockets,” the space industry expert pointed out. ISRO officials said the mass of communication satellites is also coming down and hence India may not need a heavy-lift rocket. “Nearly 55-60 per cent of a satellite’s weight consists of its chemical fuel. Now the idea is to shift to electric propulsion of satellites which would reduce their weight,” Ayyappan pointed out. Somanath said: “ISRO started designing GSLV Mk III with four tonne carrying capacity when it was making two tonne satellites. At the global level also the weight of satellites are coming down. It is very difficult to predict the market trends.” “Electric propulsion will not drastically reduce the weight of satellites to make much of a difference in the rocket’s carrying capacity and it cannot replace chemical fuel. The chemical fuel will be used to take the satellite to its space slot and for managing it later electric propulsion would be used,” the expert said. “The Chinese government approved the Long March 5 project sometime mid-2000 to have a rocket with a capacity of 14 tonne. The size of communication satellites will have to go up as there is limitation on the orbital slots. It all boils down to planning and also predicting the global trends,” the expert added. Citing the example of Japanese H-IIB rocket, Ayyappan said the Japanese use lot of composite materials to make the rocket more efficient and light weight. “In future we will also be using more composites in the upper stages instead of metal. Half of the rocket’s velocity is achieved only at the upper stage and composite will be the only choice in future,” Ayyappan said. “The specific impulse of our cryogenic engine is also slightly less than that of others,” Somanath added while listing out other reasons for GSLV Mk III’s lower carrying capacity. “The aluminium used in some foreign rockets are less dense and their weight is less. We will also use such materials to reduce the weight of our cryogenic stage by 500-600 kg,” he said. Somanath said there are plans to reduce the weight of the electronics by around 150 kg so that every kilogram of weight reduced increases the payload capacity. According to him, switching off and restarting of cryogenic stage in the space would also increase the rocket’s capacity. Experts said India has to realise its semi-cryogenic stage faster and it cannot have the luxury of spending a decade or more in developing newer rocket technologies. “We are planning to realise the semi-cryogenic engine in 2019 and the entire stage by 2021,” Somanath said.
This article is in support of @X_Killer. As what ever he was saying is true as its a experiment flight with a lot of technology demonstrations so needs a lot of testing equipment n sensors to verify n take readings n compile data for further improvement.. N not like ppl who just repaint things n call it theirs.. Lol R&D works like this

people who care about facts, that said, i was merely setting the record straight, you don't have to care about it at all.

still 14 tonnes more reliable than anything india makes.
Still I'm not convinced by 14Ton figure (printed tag)
China have to make 14T satellite because they don't like co-passengers.

Again, I want to repeat my words
WHO CARES ABOUT IT? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom