What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

Department of Space
23-June, 2017 12:19 IST
PSLV-C38 Successfully Launches 31 Satellites in a Single Flight

ISRO’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C38 successfully launched the 712 kg Cartosat-2 Series Satellite along with 30 co-passenger satellites today from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota. This is the thirty ninth consecutively successful mission of PSLV.

PSLV-C38 lifted off at 0929 hrs (9:29 am) IST, as planned, from the First Launch Pad. After a flight of about 16 minutes, the satellites achieved a polar Sun Synchronous Orbit of 505 km inclined at an angle of 97.44 degree to the equator (very close to the intended orbit) and in the succeeding seven and a half minutes, all the 31 satellites successfully separated from the PSLV in a predetermined sequence beginning with Cartosat-2 series satellite, followed by NIUSAT and 29 customer satellites. The total number of Indian satellites launched by PSLV now stands at 48.

After separation, the two solar arrays of Cartosat-2 series satellite were deployed automatically and ISRO's Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) at Bangalore took over the control of the satellite. In the coming days, the satellite will be brought to its final operational configuration following which it will begin to provide various remote sensing services using its panchromatic (black and white) and multispectral (colour) cameras.

One of the 30 co-passenger satellites carried by PSLV-C38 was the 15 kg NIUSAT, a University/Academic Institute satellite from Nurul Islam University, Tamil Nadu, India. The remaining 29 co-passenger satellites carried were international customer satellites from USA (10), United Kingdom (3), Belgium (3), Italy (3), Austria (1), Chile (1), Czech Republic (1), Finland (1), France (1), Germany (1), Japan (1), Latvia (1), Lithuania (1) and Slovakia (1).

With today’s successful launch, the total number of customer satellites from abroad placed in orbit by India’s workhorse launch vehicle PSLV has reached 209.

President's Secretariat
23-June, 2017 20:21 IST
President of India Congratulates ISRO for the Successful Launch of 31 Satellites by PSLV Today

The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee has congratulated the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for the successful launch of the Cartosat-2 series along with 30 co-passenger satellites of various countries by the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) today.

In a message to Shri A. S. Kiran Kumar, Secretary, Department of Space, Chairman, Space Commission & Chairman, ‘ISRO’, the President has said, “My heartiest congratulations to you and the entire team at the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), for the successful launch of the Cartosat-2 series along with 30 co-passenger satellites of various countries by the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).

The nation is proud of this magnificent achievement which is also a significant milestone in the progress of our space capabilities. It will boost India’s aerial capabilities as also its earth observation capabilities.

Kindly convey my greetings to the members of your team of scientists, engineers, technologists and all others associated with this mission. I wish the ISRO continued success in the coming years”.

Prime Minister's Office
23-June, 2017 11:23 IST
PM congratulates ISRO on its 40th successful Polar satellite launch carrying 31 satellites from 15 countries

The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has congratulated ISRO on its 40th successful Polar satellite launch carrying 31 satellites from 15 countries.

“Congratulations to ISRO on its 40th successful Polar satellite launch carrying 31 satellites from 15 countries. You make us proud", the Prime Minister said.

isro

GSAT-17 is scheduled to be launched on June 29, 2017 at 2:29 a.m. by Ariane-5 launch vehicle from French Guiana. | Photo Credit: @twitter.com/isro
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/sc...ro-capacity/article19163861.ece?homepage=true

GSAT-17, the country's newest communication satellite set to be launched on Thursday morning, is set to add capacity to the current fleet of 17 Indian communication satellites that are already serving from space.

The 3,477-kg spacecraft is to be launched at 2.29 a.m. [a.m.] IST on June 29 from the European space port of Kourou in French Guiana. An Ariane-5 ECA rocket is putting it in orbit along with a heavier co-passenger, Hellas Sat 3 - Inmarsat S EAN, according to ISRO and the European launch company Arianespace. Locally, it is a pre-dusk launch in the South American space port.

"GSAT-17 is designed to provide continuity of services of operational satellites in C, extended C and S bands," an ISRO communique said. ISRO Chairman A.S. Kiran Kumar has said a few times that they need double the number of communication spacecraft to meet the growing demands of various users across the country.

Built mainly for broadcasting and telephone services, GSAT-17 is similar to the 48-transponder GSAT-18 - launched by Arianespace last October. The spacecraft carries equipment to aid meteorology and search and rescue operations primarily over the Indian sub-continent.

Designed and assembled at the ISRO Satellite Centre in Bengaluru, GSAT-17 has been at the Kourou space port since May 15, undergoing pre-launch checks and tests. A team of 20-30 ISRO engineers has been attending to it on a rotation basis during the period.

After injection into GTO, its operations will be taken over by the team at MCF, the orbit will gradually raised and circularised to 36,000 km distance from Earth. The various functional appendages such as antennas and solar arrays will be deployed and the satellite stabilised over 93.5 degrees East longitude, according to the two agencies.

ISRO does not yet have a launcher that can lift payloads above 2,000 kg. IT has just started testing the GSLV-Mark III for this. As such it has been buying space rides on the European Ariane vehicles.

Arianespace said this was its 21st Indian launch since the APPLE experimental satellite in 1981. ISRO's upcoming 5,000-kg-plus heavy satellite, GSAT-11, will also be launched by Arianespace.

GSAT-17's co-passenger has two operators. Hellas Sat 3 provides direct to home television and telecom services across Europe, West Asia and South Africa. Inmarsat will provide inflight Internet facilities for European airlines, as signified in the satellite's tag EAN or European Aviation Network.

@Han Patriot .
Pl note how well engineered QUALITY launches take place.
3 successful indian launches in last couple of months vs 3 failures of chinese low quality rockets in less than 2 years.
This is because indian rockets are homegrown while chinese copy blindly so are not sure about their intricate working.

@Han Patriot .
3 successful indian launches in last couple of months vs 3 failures of chinese low quality rockets in less than 2 years.
This is because indian rockets are homegrown while chinese copy blindly so are not sure about their intricate working.
Go check the latest reliability rates. :lol:

Department of Space
29-June, 2017 10:02 IST
India's GSAT-17 Communication Satellite Launched Successfully

Today, GSAT-17 became India’s third communication satellite to successfully reach orbit in the past two months. GSAT-17 was launched in the early morning hours using the European Ariane 5 Launch Vehicle from Kourou, French Guiana. The 3477 kg GSAT-17 carries communication payloads in C-band, Extended C-band and S-band for providing various services to the country. The satellite also carries equipment for meteorological data relay and satellite based search and rescue services.

After its lift-off at 0245 hrs (2:45 am) IST and a flight lasting about 39 minutes, GSAT-17 separated from the Ariane 5 upper stage in an elliptical Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) with a perigee (nearest point to Earth) of 249 km and an apogee (farthest point to Earth) of 35,920 km, inclined at an angle of 3 degrees to the equator.

ISRO's Master Control Facility (MCF) at Hassan in Karnataka took over the command and control of GSAT-17 immediately after its separation from the launch vehicle. Preliminary health checks of the satellite revealed its normal functioning.

In the coming days, orbit raising manoeuvres will be performed to place GSAT-17 satellite in the Geostationary Orbit (36,000 km above the equator) by using the satellite’s propulsion system in steps.

During the final stages of its orbit raising operations, the two solar arrays and both the antenna reflectors of GSAT-17 will be deployed. Following this, the satellite will be put in its final orbital configuration. GSAT-17 will be positioned at its designated orbital slot in the geostationary orbit and will be co-located with some of the Indian operational geostationary satellites. Later, it is planned to turn on the communication payloads of the satellite. After the successful completion of all the in-orbit tests, GSAT-17 will be ready for operational use.

GSAT-17 was successfully launched by a heavy duty rocket of Arianespace from the spaceport of Kourou in French Guiana.(Photo: @ISRO on Twitter
_7e6b09d2-5c72-11e7-a18d-042ec35e3331.jpg

India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-17 was successfully launched on Thursday by a heavy duty rocket of Arianespace from the spaceport of Kourou in French Guiana.

Configured around I-3K extended bus, GSAT-17 with a lift-off mass of about 3,477 kg carries payloads in Normal C- band, Extended C-band and S-band to provide various communication services.

It also carries equipment for meteorological data relay and satellite based search and rescue services being provided by earlier INSAT satellites.

The European launcher Arianespace Flight VA238 blasted off from Ariane Launch Complex No 3 (ELA 3) at Kourou, a French territory located in northeastern coast of South America, couple of minutes delayed than the scheduled time of 2:29 hrs IST.

GSAT-17 was injected shortly after orbiting co-passenger Hellas Sat 3-Inmarsat S EAN in a flawless flight lasting about 41 minutes.

“GSAT-17 successfully launched by Ariane-5 VA-238 from Kourou, French Guiana,” the city headquartered ISRO announced after the mission.

GSAT-17 that will strengthen ISRO’s current fleet of 17 telecommunications satellites was launched into a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO).

This will be third satellite launch by ISRO this month, the other two being first developmental flight of GSLV MkIII and PSLV C-38 missions -- both from Sriharikota spaceport.

GSLV MkIII successfully launched GSAT-19 satellite on June 5 while PSLV-C38 orbited Cartosat-2 Series satellite along with 30 co-passenger satellites on June 23 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre.

ISRO, which has been dependent on Ariane-5 rocket for carrying its heavier satellites, is developing GSLV Mk III for this purpose.

Announcing the successful launch of the satellite, Arianespace CEO Stephane Israel tweeted: “Confirmed: GSAT-17 has successfully separated from its #Ariane5 launcher #VA238 @ISRO

Thanking Arianespace, Director Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre Dr K Sivan who watched the launch from the mission control centre called it a “text book mission”.

Noting it as a special mission for ISRO, he said “GSAT-17 is a need of the hour for ISRO and India as it provides the continuity in services of ageing two satellites, as well as augmenting our transponder capability, and widening our horizon to mobile satellite services as well as to Antarctica areas.”

GSAT-17’s co-passenger Hellas Sat 3-Inmarsat S EAN is a two-payload “condosat” produced by Thales Alenia Space for Hellas Sat and Inmarsat.

Once in orbit, the Hellas Sat 3 component will deliver direct-to-home and telecom services to maintain and expand Hellas Sat’s business reach, while the Inmarsat S EAN component provides the satellite portion of Inmarsat’s new European Aviation Network.

Hellas Sat (member of the Arabsat Group) is a premium satellite operator, offering services in Europe, the Middle East and South Africa from the orbital position of 39 East.

Inmarsat is the leading provider of global mobile satellite communications services.

The total payload carried on Flight VA238 is approximately 10,177 kg.

GSAT-17 will be the 21st satellite from ISRO to be launched by Arianespace, and its designed in-orbit operational life is about 15 years.

After its injection into GTO, ISRO’s Master Control Facility (MCF) at Hassan takes control of GSAT-17 and performs the initial orbit raising maneuvers using the Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) of the satellite, placing it in circular Geostationary Orbit, the Indian space agency has said.

@Han Patriot .
Btw, Ariane?

No.
But how come you never upvote my such incisive comments even when I educate you so much on so many topics ??
huh me no understand your English bro. I just told you to check the latest reliability rates and you shall get your answer.

huh me no understand your English bro. I just told you to check the latest reliability rates and you shall get your answer.
Will do when I feel like . But the spate of Chinese failures does not portend well for Chinese space ambitions.

And sorry I don't know Cantonese or I would explain my comment to you.

Will do when I feel like . But the spate of Chinese failures does not portend well for Chinese space ambitions.

And sorry I don't know Cantonese or I would explain my comment to you.
I don't speak cantonese

Back
Top Bottom