What's new

Indian Space Capabilities

No idea. The problem is that the phrase 'solid state' have been broadly used and meant to include computers and everything else made small enough.

Isn't that true.

But transitioning from vacuum/klystron tubes to semiconductor diodes and transistors would constitute stepping into the solid-state envelope, no?

Or is it strictly meant to be used to refer to components like the integrated circuit or LEDs- which are more modern examples of solid-state components?

Isn't that true.

But transitioning from vacuum/klystron tubes to semiconductor diodes and transistors would constitute stepping into the solid-state envelope, no?

Or is it strictly meant to be used to refer to components like the integrated circuit or LEDs- which are more modern examples of solid-state components?

Generally speaking most semi conductor based electronics devices are called solid state devices.

ISRO MOTR cooling arrangement

v3tx.png

I don't know yet what wavelength this radar operates in, but it certainly appears to be tracking
targets in the air (obviously).

If I still remember some maths, 50cm x 50cm makes for an object that is 0.5 square meters in size, are the figures concerning
detection range or tracking range?

The radar appears to be for space applications, which means it has to be able to track it's targets as
early as possible after detection is achieved.

L band. Tracks 10 targets simultaneously. Will be used for tracking space debris and launch vehicles. Can be used to track Asat weapons.

Officially over my head now-
@gambit @Hyperion EXPLAIN!!
The key words are 'MMIC'...

self
DRDO has successfully developed 12 GHz MMIC technology...

MMIC...

Monolithic microwave integrated circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit, or MMIC (sometimes pronounced "mimic"), is a type of integrated circuit (IC) device that operates at microwave frequencies (300 MHz to 300 GHz). These devices typically perform functions such as microwave mixing, power amplification, low noise amplification, and high frequency switching. Inputs and outputs on MMIC devices are frequently matched to a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms. This makes them easier to use, as cascading of MMICs does not then require an external matching network. Additionally most microwave test equipment is designed to operate in a 50 ohm environment.
Monolithic mean every device is made on the same base structure. Your car is NOT a 'monolithic' device, for example. It is a device made up of many smaller devices from elsewhere.

What this mean is that DRDO is getting into the semicon field, just like how the American DARPA dabbles in many fields, providing either financing or technical expertise or both, to instigate exploration and at least experimental development.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally speaking most semi conductor based electronics devices are called solid state devices.

So a radar using semi-conductor diodes would be termed as a solid state radar?

Although in the generic layman/jingo usage in terms of AESA radar we take solid-state to mean the GaAs based ICs being employed.

Isn't that true.

APA was using the phrase 'solid state' broadly probably because the writers regards the entire system as 'solid state' despite the first stage of detection is based on a poled design. When the process move from detection to tracking and finally to targeting, the more advanced arrays takes over and they are the true solid state arrays.

APA was using the phrase 'solid state' broadly probably because the writers regards the entire system as 'solid state' despite the first stage of detection is based on a poled design. When the process move from detection to tracking and finally to targeting, the more advanced arrays takes over and they are the true solid state arrays.

So many doubts cleared, which as a layman means a lot to me albeit I shall still not be able to comprehend much of the technical principles and jargon.

Pardon my boldness, but I could almost kiss you out of sheer gratitude.:agree:

v3tx.png

Where did you get this from, where do you get these things? :cry:

Someday I'll find out.:angry:

Dilli, kaminay..... leave your CA, and get into IIT.... :taz:

@Dillinger

And this what I was barking couple days back...... :pissed:

So many doubts cleared, which as a layman means a lot to me albeit I shall still not be able to comprehend much of the technical principles and jargon.

Pardon my boldness, but I could almost kiss you out of sheer gratitude.:agree:

Where did you get this from, where do you get these things? :cry:

Someday I'll find out.:angry:

Gallium Arsenide Enabling Technology Centre @gambit ji
would the chips made on 0.5um process be efficient for making liquid cooled AESA?
I think there are limits -- PHYSICAL -- on how small we can make these T/R modules. Right now, for NAND memory where I am at, that physical limit looks like it may be at the 10 nm node. Am not sure. That belongs to Product Engineering and those fellas ain't talking. But when you are talking about creating wireless transmitters, radiation physics may have its own limitations. At that scale, I think signal contamination will be an issue.

Modi ke liye vote karo aur das sal main transformed India me raho.

Paji i am first time voter will vote for Delhi elections & general elections
& i give you my word

Haat kta longa magar Congressio ke liye nahi vote karonga
Will vote for modi only

v3tx.png

Be nice and pass on the tech to DRDO.:angel: Or is that not required?

Good to know that in-house MMIC fabs exist, One wonders if the fab units are up-to contemporary standards.

Dilli, kaminay..... leave your CA, and get into IIT.... :taz:

@Dillinger

And this what I was barking couple days back...... :pissed:

Yes because ab engineering toh mujhe mere sasur ji sikhaenge.:cheesy:

ISRO Multi-Object Tracking Radar (MOTR)

0kaw.jpg

ISRO’s future missions will need tracking of multiple objects. For this purpose, a Multi-Object Tracking Radar or MOTR is being realized indigenously, which will contribute to Range safety, Impact point monitoring, recovery and re-entry missions. The MOTR will track different stages of launch vehicles simultaneously during nominal and non-nominal missions. The tracking data will be used for computing the Instantaneous Impact Points (IIPs) of the descending/separated objects of the launch vehicle, more accurately.

The configuration of MOTR is derived based on long range tracking requirement of 50 cm x 50 cm object size at a slant range of 1000 km for objects and 30 cm x 30 cm size at a slant range of 800 km in LEO for space-debris. The MOTR operates in L-band frequency (1.3 to 1.4 GHz) with active phased array antenna, capable of tracking ten objects simultaneously. The radar is designed to have a maximum peak power of 830 kW with 4608 radiating antenna elements.

Further, MOTR will also provide the data related to close approach of space debris to the remote sensing satellites in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) and to plan the collision avoidance manoeuvres of these satellites, thus contributing to the safe operation of ISRO’s Space Assets and Space Situational Awareness.

isrohq.vssc.gov.in

^^ That website has some interesting information in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom