What's new

Indian Rivers Inter-link

None of the maps show the rivers of Kashmir being interconnected to rest of the river grid.. I wonder why this has been left out..

Link the rivers of Kashmir but just remember to join your soldiers at the front since your suggestion will undoubtedly lead to the death of thousands on both sides of the border.

Link the rivers of Kashmir but just remember to join your soldiers at the front since your suggestion will undoubtedly lead to the death of thousands on both sides of the border.

He meant IOK

He meant IOK

I know what he meant, the end result would be the same diverting those rivers to go into India would directly affect the flow into Pakistan and Pakistan would have no choice but to go to war because it would be dead anyway.

I know what he meant, the end result would be the same diverting those rivers to go into India would directly affect the flow into Pakistan and Pakistan would have no choice but to go to war because it would be dead anyway.

I thought there was some sort of water sharing agreements anyway..

I thought there was some sort of water sharing agreements anyway..

Yes there is, your friend meant to troll. He already knew why it would never happen I was just saying if he was willing to put your troops lives on the line he should fight alongside them no?

Water is very sensitive topic and extreme care should be taken while taking any plan to building dams let alone diverting a whole river. Even if you just ignore the affect it will have existing Eco-system, lower riparian states will be adversely affected from diverting water from upstream. I'm sure West Bengal will oppose any such plan of connecting Ganges to South India rivers.

River linking project is not about diverting rivers. It is similar to a nationwide electric grid which provides for load balancing.

Similar load balancing will be done by the linked rivers by regulating the water flow. This will also help keep the water ecosystem healthy as most rivers will the become perenial and damage due to floods will be minimal.

By connecting a nation wide electrical grid, does one area get more power or can the power be diverted ? Of course there will be political debate but in the larger interest of the nation it is something that must be done especially since India is a water scarce state and water scarcity is supposed to be a serious problem in the near future.

1.Ayub had told Nehru to sign the Indus Basin Treaty to avoid war over water. In the news-papers there were photos of him showing his hands around his neck and saying, "If I am to be strangulated, then I need to fight to survive."

2. This time it is Pakistan, BD and various Indian states that are to be adversely affected by this master plan drawn up by APJ Kalam. Could result in multiple conflicts in the future.

1.Ayub had told Nehru to sign the Indus Basin Treaty to avoid war over water. In the news-papers there were photos of him showing his hands around his neck and saying, "If I am to be strangulated, then I need to fight to survive."

2. This time it is Pakistan, BD and various Indian states that are to be adversely affected by this master plan drawn up by APJ Kalam. Could result in multiple conflicts in the future.

This current plan does not affect Pakistan unless the Kashmir rivers are involved, which it looks like it isn't. That just means its affect Bangladesh and down stream Indian states. Poor Bangladesh will probably not even make a fuss with Hasina in charge. :P

Interlinking river will be a costly and unsustainable solution with huge political and societal implication. Instead of such projects, we should concentrate on more localized solution involving local community. These may involve construction of small lakes, small dams etc. This can be done at a fraction of cost of interlinking rivers, with involvement of community it would also be less prone to corruption.

Secondly, we should concentrate on our sewage management system and rejuvenation of many of the dead rivers. This will be a much better solution, because it will not require such a huge displacement and economic cost. Many of the great Indian rivers have been turned into a nullah. We need to change that situation

River linking project is not about diverting rivers. It is similar to a nationwide electric grid which provides for load balancing.

Similar load balancing will be done by the linked rivers by regulating the water flow. This will also help keep the water ecosystem healthy as most rivers will the become perenial and damage due to floods will be minimal.

By connecting a nation wide electrical grid, does one area get more power or can the power be diverted ? Of course there will be political debate but in the larger interest of the nation it is something that must be done especially since India is a water scarce state and water scarcity is supposed to be a serious problem in the near future.

No, river links and electric power grid is not similar.

We have national power grid networks to make sure that power plants in different regions can supply power over a large area. So if there is a local fault at some plant, the other plants can take up the slack.

For rivers, diverting and affecting their natural courses and flows will have negative effects, especially on such a large scale. These rivers have been flowing in their natural form for thousands of years, and have supported civilizations during that time. It would be catastrophic to disrupt the natural form of these rivers. If you want to store water for excess capacity, build dams or barrages. River Ganges, for example, is heavily polluted now. If you link it up to another river that is not as polluted, you risk upsetting the ecology of that river, not to mention that rivers have their own unique habitats/ecosystem. Some rivers are more saline than others, for example.

I think mankind should stay away from these kind of ambitious projects unless there is 100% certainty that there is no negative consequences.

Building smaller dams and tributaries might be one solution. But then dams themselves are controversial.

As someone already has mentioned, these two are not similar. Please read the second post that I have made to this topic. Linking ganges to South India rever is not feasible since the canals or pipelines will have to cross bindha with an elevation of 500 meters on average which will cost enormous electricity. Secondly huge reservoirs need to be made to store surplus water in densely populated Northern states which is not possible.

It will also result in ecological disaster of great magnitude and existing flora and fona will be destroyed.

Better way is to link all south Indian rivers and make a full use of available water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom