What's new

Indian POWs - 1971

solid snake

Reaction score
I have read on the internet that there is a Bollywood movie called 1971 about the Indian service members who were captured by Pakistan in the war. This lead me to a question.

How many Indian soldiers/airmen were captured? Are there any official numbers from either side?

Instead of official numbers, you should rather called it as unofficial.

Yea...yea...like the only legitimate sources provided are by Indddians right????

The bollywood movie is fiction

there is a POW society in delhi. they believe 54 officers to be POWs . But I think only about 10-20% of the number are valid cases.

Some members of an Indian POW society were in Pakistan last year to try to trace these POW’s. They even visited some jails where it was believed that these POW’s were kept but unfortunately did not find anyone. Government provided what ever support it could.
My point is that instead of producing films which might hurt the sentiments of those whose loved ones went missing wouldn’t it be better to help them in whatever way one can. This issue should be taken on humanitarian basis and not for the sake of scoring points or doing politics.

there is a POW society in delhi. they believe 54 officers to be POWs . But I think only about 10-20% of the number are valid cases.

Point taken that there may be some left around in Pakistan (possibly KIAs or MIAs..if not are these confirmed POWs?). Sometimes one gets a feeling that folks in India believe Pakistan is hiding these poor souls. Personally, it makes no sense to me whatsoever for the Pakistani side to carry on hiding these guys.

Not according to what I've read on Indian forums. People were posting that this movie is meant to raise awareness of the Indian POWs supposedly still languishing in Pakistani jails.

I'm wondering if there are any figures at all (official or non-official) from either side about how many Indian POWs were captured, even if they were later released?

Not according to what I've read on Indian forums. People were posting that this movie is meant to raise awareness of the Indian POWs supposedly still languishing in Pakistani jails.

I'm wondering if there are any figures at all (official or non-official) from either side about how many Indian POWs were captured, even if they were later released?

I think there were about 650+ Indian soldiers , officers, airmen taken POW in 71 in West Pakistan who were repatriated back to India. Around approx 300 are classified as missing. The 54 are probably from this list. 60% of these 54 are air force.

The movie you are talking about is a piece of C**p. its a mash of all hollywood movies - Missing in Action 2, Great Escape, Rambo . The movie does raise awareness of the POW society - but other htan that it is just a POW fantasy movie - the same genre as the 'Missing in Action' series of movies were.

I fully sympathise with the members of the POW society - it is their right to believe that their loved ones are possibly alive - for they have not had closure in terms of a body or a confirmed fate. However for someone with a close interest in these wars, it is VERY obvious that some names should not be there on the list. , Some of the names in that list are actually from the 65 War.

As I said, perhaps five or six names should be considered out of the 54 - There is this very clear case of an Army Major, whose face appeared in a TIME magazine photo and shown as an Indian POW. But there was no trace of him when the pows came home. Now that is a very strong case - perhaps the Indian Army should have looked into it - seen if the photo could have been of somebody else. Then there are some cases of IAF pilots announced as captured by the Pak radio, but subsequently denied.

Officially the Indian Army and Air Force does not support these assertions - for them the chapter is closed and these names are 'missing and possibly died'. But for the families it is not easy to 'close the chapter'.

The attachment is claimed to be a photo from TIME Magazine that shows Major A .K. Ghosh - this was published as a 'Indian POWs caputred in battle' illustration in one of the issues from 71. The family says that it is him and he was not there when the POWs returned.

This is one of the stronger cases if true.

But I have to say that I have not seen the original TIME magazine nor do I know details of his capture or action. someone else can verify if it was published and which action it was.

Attachments

• Ghosh.jpg
    Ghosh.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 30
Keep in mind the possibility of PoWs being killed while attempting to escape. The situation is as such that neither side would openly admit that it killed a PoW who was trying to escape. I know of a Pakistani Army officer who was shot while trying to escape in 71.

Back
Top Bottom