What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

Ok- so modi's highlighting the example of a Chandragupta who built the kingdom via marital alliances rather than the Chandragupta who built his empire through intelligence and martial prowess. So Modi basically admires the Gandhi Nehru dyasty and so start worshipping Rahul baba. 

oh......'paaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttliiiiiiiiiipputraaaaaaaaaaa'

No, Modi knows more about history than you and the congress put together. That is what is highlighted here. :lol:

I always knew there was more than one Chandraguta.
1010466_10201932101050795_1950368271_n.jpg

Narendra Modi is a challenger for Congress, we can't ignore him: Chidambaram

PANAJI: Union finance minister P Chidambaram on Sunday acknowledged that the Congress party considers BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi as a "challenger."

"As a political party, we acknowledge that he (Modi) is a challenger. We cannot ignore him. He is a candidate fielded by the principal opposition party. We have to take note of him," he said during an interaction at 'ThinkFest' event currently on in Goa.

The minister, however, said that as an individual he is concerned about his (Modi's) ideology, philosophy and the kind of language he has been using in public rallies.

"So far he (Modi) is extremely opaque. So far he has not spoken on any of the major issues. He has just made election promises," Chidambaram said.

He said the rank and file of Congress party feel that Rahul Gandhi should be leader of the party and leader of government, if it is voted to power in the forthcoming general polls.

"Rank and file seems to think that if party is voted to power, Rahul Gandhi should be the leader of the party and leader of the government," he stated.

"As far as my personal opinion is concerned, I feel that the time has come to hand over the torch to the younger generation," Chidambaram stressed.

"There are enough young men and women in the country who can take part in the government and provide good governance," he said.

The minister noted that Rahul Gandhi has been addressing various public rallies. "But if I was advising him (Rahul), I would have advised him to spell out his views on various major issues (in the rallies)," he said.

When questioned why Congress leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have not been commenting on major issues, the finance minister said, "PM does address audience and addresses press conferences, although it is not as much as I expect him to do."

"You can agree or disagree with what he speaks but certainly he speaks," Chidambaram said.

Narendra Modi is a challenger for Congress, we can't ignore him: Chidambaram - The Times of India

“When the BJP said Modi would make history, did you realise he would literally make it up?” Pertie was laughing but it was a telling point. “If only someone like Zeeks had taught him he wouldn’t have made so many silly errors and embarrassed himself.”

Zeeks was our history tutor at Doon School. The affectionate nickname is how generations of Doscos remember KB Sinha. His history classes were memorable because they were not only enjoyable but also immensely educational. That Pertie could spot Modi’s historical errors is a tribute to Mr Sinha.

“Modi’s made so many bloomers I’m losing count of them. These days, it seems, each time he speaks he manages to get something wrong. I’m tempted to start a catalogue and call it ‘Thus spake Modi’!”

The truth is history is not the only subject where Modi’s lack of accuracy has begun to haunt him.

But, so far, it is the most embarrassing. Even teenagers know that after defeating Porus, Alexander sailed down the Indus and departed India. He never entered the Gangetic plain leave aside face defeat in Bihar.

Any admirer of Ashoka — and they run into hundreds of millions — will tell you his grandfather, Chandragupta, was a Maurya. How come Modi didn’t know that? And even if to his ears it sounds exotic, Taxila hardly sounds Bihari. Unless, of course, he thinks of Bihar as another country!

However, the list of Modi mishaps is not only longer but delightfully undiscriminating. Speaking about China, in tones that suggested admiration, Modi claimed 20% of its GDP was spent on education. The truth is about a fifth of that. So, do you suppose, he doesn’t know China as well as he thinks?

Pontificating about the economy — which he claims to have handled with exemplary skill in Gujarat — Modi declared that in 1947 one rupee was equal to one dollar. The gullible believed him but, alas, he was, once again, wrong. At the time, the rupee was tied to the pound.

This meant you needed just over three to buy a dollar. I accept it requires a bit of mathematical calculation to work this out but is that too much to expect of the man the BJP hopes will be our next prime minister?

Even the facts of Sardar Patel’s life — a man he not only admires but seeks to emulate — are at times beyond his grasp.

The Sardar did not propose reservations for women in the Ahmedabad Municipality in 1919, as Modi claimed at the inauguration of the Vallabhbhai Patel Memorial Museum, an occasion when he should have known what he was saying, but in 1926. So, could it be he doesn’t know his hero as well as he thinks?

“You know what Zeeks would have said if Modi had been in his class?” I could sense Pertie was about to reveal his considered conclusion of Modi’s many mistakes. Consequently, I deliberately didn’t answer and waited for him to speak instead.

“Silly boy!” Pertie roared with laughter, no doubt remembering how often that had been said of him. “If you don’t know what you’re talking about it’s better to keep quiet.”

“That reminds me of something Abraham Lincoln is supposed to have said.” I was desperate to have the last word! “It’s better to keep your mouth-shut and seem a fool than speak out and remove all doubt.”

“Don’t be unkind to Mr Modi”, said Pertie, deflating my pomposity. “He could be our next prime minister.”

Oops! Modi’s done it again - Hindustan Times

The facts about Alexander and Chandragupta have been clarified many times...

Reactions after historical Hunkaar rally... :)

hunkaar-1.gif

Last edited:
Would have been better if the PM had spoken about corruption and price rise but he was talking history and geography

Speaking at the launch of Reliable Multi Specialty Hospital in Kheda district, Shri Narendra Modi launched a scathing attack on the Prime Minister, illustrating how the Congress lacks both a sense of history and geography. Shri Modi’s strong and fitting reply comes a day after the Prime Minister made a statement about BJP leaders changing the history and geography of the country. Shri Modi affirmed that everyone respects the Prime Minister and the office he holds but it is important that the truth must be told.

Shri Modi said, “I was hearing the Prime Minister’s speech while he was speaking in Chhattisgarh yesterday. It would have been better if the PM had spoken about corruption and price rise but he was talking history and geography. The Prime Minister said success cannot be achieved by making tall claims from big pulpits. I agree with him 100%- an example was seen in December 2012 in Gujarat and the people rejected the big talkers.”

Further questioning the Prime Minister Shri Modi avowed, “The nation wants to know who altered the geography of the nation. The village you were born in was in India but now it is not. Who divided the nation into two? It was the Congress that divided the nation and you tell us.” He went on, “China takes away our territory under your rule and that of other Congress Prime Ministers. This geography was changed under the Congress only.”

Giving yet another instance Shri Modi said, “Mahatma Gandhi undertook the Dandi March in 1930 and after that so many Congress leaders came here. You said the road taken by Mahatma Gandhi would become a heritage road and promised to give money, which you did not give. 6 moths ago you wrote a letter, which asked if we could alter the road by 30 kms! Who is changing geography here?”

Similarly, he also took on the Prime Minister with concrete historical facts. He asked the Prime Minister why is it that history books under him still call the events of 1857, when Hindus and Muslims fought shoulder to shoulder against the British, a Mutiny when it was a the First War of Independence?

Shri Modi declared, “For the Bhakti of one family many names have not reached the future generations and this is due to you.” He went on ask why was it that Pandit Nehru and Mrs. Indira Gandhi were conferred the Bharat Ratna during his lifetime, Shri Rajiv Gandhi was conferred the Bharat Ratna just after his demise but Sardar Patel and Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar were conferred the away years after their demise. Similarly, he remarked that the triumvirate of Lal, Bal and Pal have also been forgotten. Shri Modi also shared that a Minister of the UPA went to Andaman and Nicobar islands and removed the board containing the names of those who dedicated themselves for the nation. Likewise, no Congress Government thought about bringing back the ashes of Dr. Shyamji Krishna Varma for so many years, Shri Modi pointed.

Shri Modi made it very clear that the BJP is never in favour of dividing legacies and questioned why the Congress is not celebrating the birth anniversaries of greats such as Maulana Azad and Acharya Kripalani, which fall on 11th November. He affirmed, “Shastron mein likha hai gareeb ki sewa hai narayan ki sewa, in dinon, gareeb toh bhool gaye, narayan woh ban gaye.”

When the author looks for inspiration for the title from a Britney Spear's song, there's nothing more to say. These third-class hacks whose idea of intellect is to decorate banal ideas with British English can cry all they want. Nothing changes the ground reality.

Modi gets the facts wrong, again

Gujarat chief minister and BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi got his history twisted again on Sunday, giving his detractors a chance to have a field day on social media platforms.

Addressing a gathering after the inauguration of a multi-speciality hospital in Gujarat's Kheda district, Modi said, "Syama Prasad Mookerjee was a revolutionary. He died in 1930 in London. But the Congress never bothered to bring back his ashes to the country."

Going by the facts, the revolutionary Modi was referring to was Shyamji Krishna Verma, a freedom fighter, lawyer and a journalist.

Mookerjee was the founder of the Jan Sangh, which was later transformed into the BJP. He died in a Jammu and Kashmir prison on June 23, 1953 - 45 days after being detained for entering the state without a permit.

At a rally in Punjab in June this year, Modi had held India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru responsible for Mookerjee's death.

But on Sunday, Modi said, "Nehru should have sent an emissary to bring the ashes (of Mookerjee) back. The Congress government didn't get them back till 2003. It was me who brought the ashes to India in 2003."

Modi later apologised for the blunder. But his critics on Twitter described him as "his own party's history".

Modi has landed in a tight spot more than once for making serial mistakes during his recent speeches.

At the October 27 Patna rally - held hours after serial blasts rocked the Bihar capital - Modi had said, "When we are reminded of the Gupta Dynasty, we are reminded of Chandragupta's rajneeti."

Bihar chief minister and Modi's political rival, Nitish Kumar, had replied saying, "The BJP has amazing grasp of history. They should know Chandragupta was of Maurya dynasty, not of Gupta dynasty."

Modi gets the facts wrong, again - Hindustan Times

What a disaster. One chap talks crap about history, another talks crap about ISI & intelligence briefings with family drama thrown in. We would really require Jupiter's escape velocity to free ourselves from this rubbish.

What a disaster. One chap talks crap about history, another talks crap about ISI & intelligence briefings with family drama thrown in. We would really require Jupiter's escape velocity to free ourselves from this rubbish.

No you do not. What you require is greater number of socially aware folks. Less of the machined drones working 9-5 desperate for change.

Back
Top Bottom