What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

And other places as well.

Indore, Banagalore, Madurai, Varanasi, Coimbatore, Erode(unlucky name for a place if you ask me) and so on.

The one thing a keralite can't stand is another keralite.

Even though we tend to stick together.

It's complicated.

Nice talking to you man. There are other fantastic Pakistani posters here as well like @FCPX and Pakistani_Exile, (Though he tends to get passionate about Ahmadis).

There are intelligent and reasonable Indian posters too. Dillinger comes to mind.

=)

The one thing a keralite can't stand is another keralite.

Even though we tend to stick together.

It's complicated.

Nice talking to you man. There are other fantastic Pakistani posters here as well like @FCPX and Pakistani_Exile, (Though he tends to get passionate about Ahmadis).

There are intelligent and reasonable Indian posters too. Dillinger comes to mind.

=)

Yes there are.. and it is there where one talks sense(not sure about the members you mentioned).
The rest is just trying to ensure that the hot headed ones dont tear their keyboards apart in the process(one fellow went as far as to make a youtube video about this place and whine about injustices to him here o_O). The worst thing one can do , is get emotional with someone you already identified as an idiot. If you do get emotional.. its with people to whom you dont expect stupid ideas from.. @Dillinger is one of them.. If I do get emotional with him, it will be bad.. or perhaps I might do what Vito corleone did to his brother.

That is quite true, one has history testament for that. One should remember Moraji Desai who was a die hard Hindu by many accounts and yet the best hope for peace both countries had. Not that I am suggesting Modi is anywhere close to his personality but leadership has its surprises. People dont always do what they build their election campaigns on.

I'm very pessimistic about that. Modi is no Vajpayee. Also, making peace with Pakistan has become very difficult now more than ever before. MMS did pretty much everything he could and while Musharraf's downfall stymied that, there is now a realisation in India (with the behaviour of the PPP government that followed him and that of Kayani) that a peace agreement with Pakistan is pretty much a non-starter. There is no guarnatee that others will agree to any agreement signed up to by some & the fear is that theGoI would have exposed itself after showing its cards & will be very vulnerable at home if terrorism were to continue. That is an opinion shared by the BJP(as articulated by Jaswant Singh, though far more subtly than this) and Modi won't have the stature for quite some time even if he became PM, to even attempt something with Pakistan. (MMS was carrying on from where Vajpayee had left off & therefore had more leeway but even he felt the absence of a stature such as Vajpayee's to move things forward beyond a point.) However as you say, there might be a surprise lurking somewhere. 
My point is, South India is indifferent and it's denizens has minimal interest in Pakistan. It's ideas are shaped by former diplomats who are urbane, and well educated and less insane.

You probably need a section of society who never went through the hurt Northern India did during the partition. To be more dispassionate. And bring the focus back on India.

Expect as years go on, that this part of India will lose it's influence more

btw, not hating on the North.

You are right that South Indians would approach this more clinically but not necessarily to assume that it would show up in a lack of interest in Pakistan at a governmental level. It doesn't, the only difference is that S. Indians while being less emotional see Pakistan as a pure enemy state without any of the occasional bursts of brotherly affection that N.Indians display. For much of UPA2, we have had S.Indians as Home, Defence & Foreign ministers, I don't think the Pakistanis perceived any softness. On the contrary, I think they were very troubled dealing with people who spoke in English and with whom they could not talk about shared cultures. A good example would be Chidambaram's visit to Pakistan where Rehman Malik seemed completely at sea dealing with his very cold, clinical counterpart.

Last edited:
Yes there are.. and it is there where one talks sense(not sure about the members you mentioned).
The rest is just trying to ensure that the hot headed ones dont tear their keyboards apart in the process(one fellow went as far as to make a youtube video about this place and whine about injustices to him here o_O). The worst thing one can do , is get emotional with someone you already identified as an idiot. If you do get emotional.. its with people to whom you dont expect stupid ideas from.. @Dillinger is one of them.. If I do get emotional with him, it will be bad.. or perhaps I might do what Vito corleone did to his brother.

I've been a good boy.

As to Modi, if people are looking for a panacea then they will be disappointed. As to efficiency, I have had to associate with his cabinet and point men when we were buying land in Gujarat, he's efficient- that's one thing he's got right so far and he knows how to turn the screws on. He's a right wing politician, vitriol and visceral speeches are a tool not an indulgence for him. He is neither going to go all out on some pogrom nor was he (by my count- engineering riots in Gujarat....if anything the culprit in my eyes is Togadia and his lot..who incidentally happen to hate Modi) screaming from the hustings for blood. He's a politician with a certain modicum of work ethic and that sets him apart from the current crop. Obviously there is a certain section of society which has a different list of priorities with regard to Modi's prospective rule, lets just say that they shall be disappointed. 
I'm very pessimistic about that. Modi is no Vajpayee. Also, making peace with Pakistan has become very difficult now more than ever before. MMS did pretty much everything he could and while Musharraf's downfall stymied that, there is now a realisation in India (with the behaviour of the PPP government that followed him and that of Kayani) that a peace agreement with Pakistan is pretty much a non-starter. There is no guarnatee that others will agree to any agreement signed up to by some & the fear is that theGoI would have exposed itself after showing its cards & will be very vulnerable at home if terrorism were to continue. That is an opinion shared by the BJP(as articulated by Jaswant Singh, though far more subtly than this) and Modi won't have the stature for quite some time even if he became PM, to even attempt something with Pakistan. (MMS was carrying on from where Vajpayee had left off & therefore had more leeway but even he felt the absence of a stature such as Vajpayee's to move things forward beyond a point.) However as you say, there might be a surprise lurking somewhere. 

You are right that South Indians would approach this more clinically but not necessarily to assume that it would show up in a lack of interest in Pakistan at a governmental level. It doesn't, the only difference is that S. Indians while being less emotional see Pakistan as a pure enemy state without any of the occasional bursts of brotherly affection that N.Indians display. For much of UPA2, we have had S.Indians as Home, Defence & Foreign ministers, I don't think the Pakistanis perceived any softness. On the contrary, I think they were very troubled dealing with people who spoke in English and with whom they could not talk about shared cultures. A good example would be Chidambaram's visit to Pakistan where Rehman Malik seemed completely at sea dealing with his very cold, clinical counterpart.

Well, in terms of tangible accomplishments, Jaswant Singh was the best RM we had in recent history..

The best FM & the best RM, I would consider Chidambaram the best HM in a long time.

Chidu is a canny leader, yes a leader, wasted on a party where there isn't much scope of actual leadership for him. The contortions and skulduggery that the likes of Sibal and Chidu have to engage in for their party demeans their innate intelligence...but then needs must when you have a gaggle of fools running around in topis and Nehru coats.

Chidu is a canny leader, yes a leader, wasted on a party where there isn't much scope of actual leadership for him. The contortions and skulduggery that the likes of Sibal and Chidu have to engage in for their party demeans their innate intelligence...but then needs must when you have a gaggle of fools running around in topis and Nehru coats.

I had a look at Sashi Tharoor's editorials recently. The Hindutvawaadis are still giving him grief over the cattle class remark.

I think the Congress has a lot of high calibre ministers. But they are hamstrung by party mechanics and fools within the party.

I still can't help smile at the cattle class remark though. Little did he know how much grief he would have got back home. Talk about culture clash :D 
As to Modi, if people are looking for a panacea then they will be disappointed. As to efficiency, I have had to associate with his cabinet and point men when we were buying land in Gujarat, he's efficient- that's one thing he's got right so far

You can't question the Man's work ethic. That's right so far.

I mean, is he better than the Congressi leaders arrayed against him?

I had a look at Sashi Tharoor's editorials recently. The Hindutvawaadis are still giving him grief over the cattle class remark.

I think the Congress has a lot of high calibre ministers. But they are hamstrung by party mechanics and fools within the party.

I still can't help smile at the cattle class remark though. Little did he know how much grief he would have got back home. Talk about culture clash :D 

You can't question the Man's work ethic. That's right so far.

I mean, is he better than the Congressi leaders arrayed against him?

Well Tharoor has panache but I don't think too much of him, gift of gab yes but nothing much tangible in terms of governance...so he's a bloke I'd like to have a chat with.perhaps over some cocktail but nothing more. Eloquence and wit are not going to substitute actual work.

As to the tongue in cheek remarks, freedom of speech baby...freedom of speech.:taz:

Eloquence and wit are not going to substitute actual work.

As to the tongue in cheek remarks, freedom of speech baby...freedom of speech.:taz:

Pfft. @Dillinger. That's what makes him a true Mallu!

Snobbish, self-aggrandizing and does no work.

A Malayalee that all Keralites are proud of.

:D

Pfft. @Dillinger. That's what makes him a true Mallu!

Snobbish, self-aggrandizing and does no work.

A Malayalee that all Keralites are proud of.

:D

You know there are folks who will not take too well to that comment, I keep poking my mallu friend with the same assertions- for some reason I've built this image of folks in lungis who love their canoes (I know there aren't many canoes in the actual equation)- my standard go to retort to anything he says these days is "go paddle your canoes"..

Yfor some reason I've built this image of folks in lungis who love their canoes (I know there aren't many canoes I keep poking my mallu friend with the same assertions in the actual equation)- my standard go to retort to anything he says these days is "go paddle your canoes"..

Does he take it in good spirit?

But it is kind of true though, Earliest example is V.K. Krishna Menon. All talk and no action.

A true Malayalee. Even though if he were alive today, he would cut me down verbally for calling him that.

Does he take it in good spirit?

But it is kind of true though, Earliest example is V.K. Krishna Menon. All talk and no action.

A true Malayalee. Even though if he were alive today, he would cut me down verbally for calling him that.

Its not a south Indian trait...half of BARC, DAE and ISRO is filled with south Indians and a goodly proportion of mallus. One of the best COAS we had was a south Indian (albeit a Tamilian)- Krishnaswamy Sundarji.

Oh he takes it in good spirit..its either that or I beat him black and blue with his own hand (after I'm done hacking it off)..

Its not a south Indian trait...half of BARC, DAE and ISRO is filled with south Indians and a goodly proportion of mallus. One of the best COAS we had was a south Indian (albeit a Tamilian)- Krishnaswamy Sundarji.

Oh he takes it in good spirit..its either that or I beat him black and blue with his own hand (after I'm done hacking it off)..

Not our fault. We have to grand stand. We mallu Men are romantically challenged from the day we are born.

Im ena do you find these names sexy?

Kutti Shankaran nair.

Thomas kutty. And all such kutties and kuttans. Our parents might as well as welded a chastity belt while they named us.

Back
Top Bottom