• >10

Votes: 13 7.9%

• Total voters
What is XD in your signature?
Urban Dictionary: XD

It was derived from Japanese anime.Something like this
335060_1263562700366.27res_423_300.jpg

Tintu Luka qualifies for 800m semis

London 2012 Athletics: Tintu Luka qualifies for 800m semis | Athletics | NDTVSports.com

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

India's Tintu Luka qualified for the women's 800m semifinals in the Olympic Games after finishing third in one of the heats in London on Wednesday.

Luka clocked 2:01.75secs to finish third in heat number two behind reigning world champion Mariya Savinova (2:01.56) of Russia and Alice Schmidt (2:01.65) of United States at the Olympic Stadium in London.

marykom300.jpg

Sorry I couldn't win Gold or Silver: Mary Kom after winning Bronze

Hours before her semi-final bout, Mary Kom had tweeted: "Ready for my match. Thanks all for your wishes. Hope to make my country proud. Jai Hind!" She did India proud with her effort. :tup: :angel:

Sorry I couldn't win Gold or Silver: Mary Kom after winning Bronze | Boxing | NDTVSports.com

State government to fulfill promises made to Mary Kom long ago

New Delhi: Diminutive police officer M C Mary Kom is to be feted by the Manipur state government and also given a piece of land for setting up a boxing academy for her feat of ensuring a medal at the Olympic Games in London.

The five-time world champion had been promised a promotion and land by the state government after she became a world champion for the fourth time in 2010, but the promise was not fulfilled. :hitwall:

"She was promised that she would be promoted to the Additional ASP's post in Manipur Police, besides a two acre piece of land for her academy.

Two years have passed since the procedures were started by the state government and now they say that they would club it with her Olympic medal," Mary's husband Onler Kom told PTI from London.

"Mary doesn't even know about this move by the government but if this is the case, we don't want any incentive.

"It is unfair that a promise made two years ago is fulfilled by clubbing it with an altogether new achievement that has its own significance," he added.

The 29-year-old became only the third Indian woman ever to ensure an Olympic medal after reaching the semifinals of the 51kg weight category in London on Monday.

Mary was India's lone flag bearer as women's boxing made its Olympic debut in London.

State government to fulfill promises made to Mary Kom long ago | Boxing | NDTVSports.com

Indian wrestlers will start their campaign from tomorrow, we have 5 wrestlers in the Olympics including 1 women wrestler

Wrestlers keen to provide late sparks to India's Olympic campaign

Indian grapplers will join the Olympic action from on Thursday hoping to provide the late sparks to the contingent's campaign which has so far not really lived upto expectation with the flop show of many of the serious medal contenders.

The wrestlers had won a bronze medal in the Beijing Olympics Games through Sushil Kumar and will be keen to improve upon their tally when the freestyle competitions get underway at the ExCel Arena.

All eyes will be on Sushil again as he spearheads the Indian challenge in the 66kg category, but with stiff competition expected from other wrestlers, it remains to be seen whether he can repeat his Beijing feat, and thus become the first Indian to win back-to-back Olympic medals.

India has fielded a record five wrestlers for the Olympics and Yogeshwar Dutt (60kg) is also being talked about as a medal prospect. Narsingh Pancham Yadav (74kg), Amit Kumar Dahiya (74kg) and Geeta Phogat (55kg) are the other grapplers in the fray.

Yogeswhar narrowly missed out reaching the semi-finals in the Beijing Games and is determined to make amends here. Going by his performance in the lead-up to the mega-event, he is quite capable of springing a surprise.

"If I would have won a medal in the Beijing, probably I would not have been competing in the London Games," said Yogeshwar, who suffered a career-threatening knee injury just after the 2008 edition.

"The only inspiration for me to make a comeback from the injury was to be able to contest in the London Olympics and bring laurels to my country," said the 2010 Commonwealth Games gold-medallist," he had said.

But clearly, it will be Sushil, who will be carrying the burden of a billion hopes on his sturdy shoulders.

The wrestler gave evidence of his class by fetching a gold in the World Qualifying Tournament earlier this year, raising hopes of a good performance in the Olympics. But many of the established Indian stars have failed in these Games, so Sushil has to guard against complacency.

Coming to the younger lot, Amit Kumar's advent to the senior level has been fantastic, but his lack of experience at the big stage may turn out to be his nemesis, although the 19-year-old is talented enough to make himself count at the Olympics.

Amit surprised one and all with his performance in the Asian Qualifiers by clinching a gold in the 55kg freestyle but he is aware that it won't be a cake walk in London.

Narsingh, the 74kg free-style wrestler from Maharashtra has been around for some time now and knows all the tricks of the trade. He is hailed as one of the brightest prospects but like Amit, he also would be participating in his debut Olympics.

In the women's category, the lone Indian to make the cut for the marquee event, Geeta Phogat (55kg), has a tough challenge at hands, but she is capable of springing a surprise. And if she gets a top-eight seeding she might even finish on the podium.

"Geeta has the ability to surprise and cause a few upsets and if she gets a place in the top eight then certainly I can say that she will be a step closer to the medal," women's chief coach O P Yadav had said.

Wrestlers keen to provide late sparks to India's Olympic campaign | Wrestling | NDTVSports.com

Apart from Sushil Kumar i am confident of Yogeshwar Dutt too. :smokin:

^^^ add more - we will not even win even 1 medal from London Olympics......:D

BTW ....who you think is the biggest fail in our olympic contingent-

1)Hockey team?
2)Archery team
3)The big guns- Bindra, Sodhi, Sadhu?
4)Tennis team?

BTW ....who you think is the biggest fail in our olympic contingent-

1)Hockey team?
2)Archery team
3)The big guns- Bindra, Sodhi, Sadhu?
4)Tennis team?

Well, if u see London Olympics only on the no. of medals we have won than it's certainly disappointing, i expected at least 1 more medal from boxing, 2 more medals from shooting, 1 medal from archery, 1 medal from tennis, that means we are at least 4 medal short of what we should have been.

but, if u see the change in perception & mindset of Indian athletes & population at large, i can assure u that London Olympics have bring a tectonic shift. Now the Indian Olympians are not satisfied with just participating they really want to win medals, look at the face of Vijender, he surely was disappointed that he could not win a medal even though he reached QF's of the category, similarly the archers, tennis men & women, etc. Not only this the medal winners are also not satisfied with the color of there medal, Mary said sorry for not winning gold even though her bronze medal win was a true accomplishment in itself.

& just see the change in mindset of Indian population, once the population who got satisfied for 1 bronze is not even satisfied with 4 medals!!! They are making the medal winners a heroes on the lines of cricket players. So yes there is certainly a change, don't look at the medals tally, b'coz i m sure now in 2016 & in future we will have exponential growth in the medal tally.

+ what these medal wins will bring:

Gagan Narang has a shooting academy where we will get many more narangs in the future ( so 1 medal winner narang will bring 100 more in olympics)

Mary will open a bigger boxing academy in Manipur ( so if we are getting men boxing team from bhivani than we will get future women boxing teams from Manipur)

Saina Nehwal has opened the floodgates for lots & lots of people who aspire to take up badminton as a career.

Vijay Kumar has shown that a person from a humble background can also bring olympic medals.

+ Since all the four medal winners are associated with Olympic Gold Quest, u can expect many more OGQ's to be formed in India in the near future, & the original OGQ will be now much bigger & better.

+ Also, we are now entering a phase where the coaches of certain sports will be themselves Olympic medalists, if All England winner P Gopichand can change the picture of Badminton in India with Saina's bronze & P Kashyap's entering the QF, just imagine what a bronze medalists Mary kom can do in terms of coaching boxing in India.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom