What's new

Indian Olympics Dream: Rio 2016

How Many Medals Will India win in Rio 2016?

• Total voters
BENGALURU: How tough is it to run a marathon (42.195 km) without getting enough water to drink? Ask India's national record holder OP Jaisha who collapsed at the end of the gruelling run in Rio, thanks to the apathy of Indian officials who provided nothing, not even water, during the women's race at refreshment points.
"Though there were officials from all other countries to provide refreshments to their runners at designated points -after every 2.5 km -there was no one from India and our desks were empty next to the country's name and flag," a distraught Jaisha told TOI here recalling her ordeal.
"I don't know how I managed to finish without getting enough water to drink. The organizers provided water and sponge only at 8-km intervals. The water from these stations lasted hardly 500m and it was almost impossible to run after the 30-km mark under the scorching sun," said Jaisha, who finished the race in 2 hours, 47.19s. She had clocked 2:34.43s in Beijing Worlds last year to finish 18th.
Free 300 MB mobile internet daily
Ad Databack Install now
"While other athletes had the luxury of taking glucose, honey etc there was nothing for us (Jaisha and Kavita) to drink at our stations. Not even water," Jaisha said, her voice choking with emotion.
The experienced distance runner said she collapsed at the end of the race and didn't know what happened till she regained consciousness after 2-3 hours. "They injected seven bottles of glucose to help me recover. I didn't see any doctor from our contingent while help came from fellow marathon runner Gopi T and coach Radhakrishnan Nair. Coach Nikolai was also there for few hours before he was taken away by the organizers," she said.
"I was OK for the next few days. But now I'm feeling very weak and it will take at least 2-3 months of ayurvedic treatment and massage for my body to recover," said the top athlete who reached here on Saturday night. According to SAI doctors, she has fever, but Jaisha refused to get admitted to a hospital.
As per IAAF rules, India could have assigned four officials at four points -apart from the official stations -to provide water and refreshments to the athletes. "It is the duty of the coach and federation officials to assign people for this. One country's athletes are not supposed to drink from stuff kept for others as it could lead to a warning and then disqualification," informed sources told TOI.
The Kerala athlete also blamed her coach Nikolai Snesearev for forcing her to run the marathon. "I wanted to qualify in the 1500m (after the Mumbai marathon) but the coach forced me to continue in marathon," she said.
"Even when I suffered an injury during the training period the coach didn't give me time to recover. Moreover, we always trained early in the morning, first in Ooty and later in Rio. So, it was tough to adjust to the heat here," she added.

http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/ri...to-complete-marathon/articleshow/53803826.cms

@Nilgiri isn't this brutal ...

14095882_1103899666360960_6885101972399306618_n.jpg
14022126_1103899696360957_4973910615326622771_n.jpg
13962560_1103899719694288_2463646971873400725_n.jpg

BENGALURU: How tough is it to run a marathon (42.195 km) without getting enough water to drink? Ask India's national record holder OP Jaisha who collapsed at the end of the gruelling run in Rio, thanks to the apathy of Indian officials who provided nothing, not even water, during the women's race at refreshment points.
"Though there were officials from all other countries to provide refreshments to their runners at designated points -after every 2.5 km -there was no one from India and our desks were empty next to the country's name and flag," a distraught Jaisha told TOI here recalling her ordeal.
"I don't know how I managed to finish without getting enough water to drink. The organizers provided water and sponge only at 8-km intervals. The water from these stations lasted hardly 500m and it was almost impossible to run after the 30-km mark under the scorching sun," said Jaisha, who finished the race in 2 hours, 47.19s. She had clocked 2:34.43s in Beijing Worlds last year to finish 18th.
Ad Databack Install now
"While other athletes had the luxury of taking glucose, honey etc there was nothing for us (Jaisha and Kavita) to drink at our stations. Not even water," Jaisha said, her voice choking with emotion.
The experienced distance runner said she collapsed at the end of the race and didn't know what happened till she regained consciousness after 2-3 hours. "They injected seven bottles of glucose to help me recover. I didn't see any doctor from our contingent while help came from fellow marathon runner Gopi T and coach Radhakrishnan Nair. Coach Nikolai was also there for few hours before he was taken away by the organizers," she said.
"I was OK for the next few days. But now I'm feeling very weak and it will take at least 2-3 months of ayurvedic treatment and massage for my body to recover," said the top athlete who reached here on Saturday night. According to SAI doctors, she has fever, but Jaisha refused to get admitted to a hospital.
As per IAAF rules, India could have assigned four officials at four points -apart from the official stations -to provide water and refreshments to the athletes. "It is the duty of the coach and federation officials to assign people for this. One country's athletes are not supposed to drink from stuff kept for others as it could lead to a warning and then disqualification," informed sources told TOI.
The Kerala athlete also blamed her coach Nikolai Snesearev for forcing her to run the marathon. "I wanted to qualify in the 1500m (after the Mumbai marathon) but the coach forced me to continue in marathon," she said.
"Even when I suffered an injury during the training period the coach didn't give me time to recover. Moreover, we always trained early in the morning, first in Ooty and later in Rio. So, it was tough to adjust to the heat here," she added.

http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/ri...to-complete-marathon/articleshow/53803826.cms

Saw it in news and it boiled my Blood. :pissed:

http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.storypick.com/jaisha-marathon/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...a, Who Fainted At Finish Line&via=storypicker

Indian Officials At Rio Provided No Water For Marathon Runner Jaisha, Who Fainted At Finish Line

Vinay Devnath -

22nd August 2016

India’s national record holder in marathon O P Jaisha’s Rio timing was 2 hours 47 minutes.

Her timing for the same event in Beijing Worlds last year was 2 hours 34 minutes.

Why such a big change in timings?

Because Indian Officials didn’t give a crap about her run.But how is it an official’s fault? How can the officials help her win?

Marathon runners who run for 42 kilometers need water to keep hydrating. For this purpose, Olympic officials set up water stations at every 2.5 kilometers.

It is at these stations, officials from the respective countries provide water, sponges, glucose biscuits, and energy gels to the runners
JAISHA-5.jpg

Image source
The water hydrates the runners while glucose biscuits and energy gels give them fuel to keep running.

At every 2.5 kms, other countries were giving their runners all these things while our Indian desks were empty with just the flag and the country’s name on it
JAISHA-4.jpg

Image source
Ideally, our Indian officials should have been sitting in the desks waiting for their runner and then giving Jaisha water and glucose biscuits when she runs by.

OP Jaisha had to drink water at every 8 kilometers because of this, that too was provided by the Rio Olympic officials, and not the Indian counterparts
“I DON’T KNOW HOW I MANAGED TO FINISH WITHOUT GETTING ENOUGH WATER TO DRINK”

And as a result of dehydration, she collapsed at the finish line, regaining consciousness after 3 HOURS.
JAISHA-1.jpg

Image source
It is uncommon for experienced marathon runners to collapse unconscious after marathons.

Even after she fainted, it was Rio’s officials who came to help. India’s official team doctor was nowhere to be seen
JAISHA-6.jpg

Image source
She was injected with seven bottles of glucose to help her recover.

According to IAAF rules, every country has to set up four refreshment points, apart from the official points. Also, athletes from one country CANNOT take refreshments from another country.
JAISHA-2.jpg

Image source
If any athlete does accept refreshments from another country’s official, it can lead to a warning and then a disqualification.

Our officials were recently in the news for taking more selfies and enjoying tourist spots rather than caring for the well-being of our athletes.

For example, Dutee Chand had complained of traveling in economy class while the officials traveled in business class.

The stars of the Olympics are its athletes. After all, it is they who bring accolades and glory to our country. It is they who should be pampered and cared so that they perform well, and stay in positive mental spirit.

We hope the Indian Olympic Committee takes notice and takes care of our athletes better in the future events.

http://www.storypick.com/jaisha-marathon/

each and every athlete is important to us, they already champions.. this is total brutal, 42km walk with very limited water supply.. that could kill the girl.. I hope government pay attention on this brave athletes..

this is sad..........what the hell sports minister doing in rio if he cant even make sure that our athletes are getting proper facilities during matches

Ad Databack Install now

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ing-the-marathon-AFI/articleshow/53817326.cms

and you believe that? How can she run 42km without drinks and refreshments... that too @ 40++ temp.. it just common sense .. do you think they will accept it?

I am not going to believe one side over the other without proper clear evidence given. I don't base anything on hearsay.

I'd like to believe her....but I dont get the issue of why she didn't just go for the regular drinks put on by the organisers?

Pretty standard thing since a long time ago:

Ask yourself why she is the only one of the marathon participants from India complaining about this?

She got silver bro....but thanks! She will do better next time and go all the way. Young, headstrong and much to learn still she is.

No one expected her to go this far...she has always been in the shadow of Saina Nehwal.....so this is a big breakout performance for her and will do much wonders for her own career and also for Badminton in India.

Her performance in 3rd round was not good....she dropped 23 places :(

I dont think she will be in finals....but maybe @jaunty knows better.

She blew it in round 3. I think scored 8 over par, after that R4 became almost irrelevant. Even a par round 3 would have kept her in the hunt.

I am not going to believe one side over the other without proper clear evidence given. I don't base anything on hearsay.

I'd like to believe her....but I dont get the issue of why she didn't just go for the regular drinks put on by the organisers?

Pretty standard thing since a long time ago:

Ask yourself why she is the only one of the marathon participants from India complaining about this?

Stalls allotted for India is empty that's open fact... why do they need to athletes when organizers allotted stalls for every country... this is damn negligence, am amazed why do you live in denial mode.. when the race is 42km, a person with commonsense will understand necessity of supplements to rehydrate body... a totally ridiculous argument, she is not only one who suffered.. @Joe Shearer

yes organizers arranged stalls for every 8km, it is damn 42km long marathon.. not 5 or 10km.. but those stalls have water only.. these bureaucrats can destroy athletes life, so most of them afraid to complain ..

Last edited:
Each country and each event has it own rules to how to qualify for the Olympics.

Which Atheltic was given A free Pass??

Please STOP using Our Population against us! why? In every other field, be it science, culture, military , space - OH but they are poor, why they wasting money, oh they have many beggar and many below the poverty line why they not doing something about, oh they have the largest population, BUT they can't win medals !!!!

I can give and many on this Forum can give u reasons BUT U will take it as an excuse! So what is the POINT of trying to please u?

What is the point of the Olympics? It to compete on a world stage , to represent one's country and hopefully bring glory for that country

Our Athletes that represent Our Country are doing us proud and hopefully, we can give the best support and Also Optimistic and NEVER Delusional !
Australians are big on medals per capita, because they can then claim to be better than the US (and UK). Nevermind the limits on how many people you can send per event is the same for big and small countries, and number of qualifiers tracks well with medal counts - every competitor you send has a chance of having the day/week of his life and unexpectedly winning. Send a lot of people, you'll get a few unlikely medals. Send a few, expect none.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom