What's new

Indian nuclear inventory as per Bullitin Atomic

You're missing the point, its not about the amount of fissionable material or number of reactors. India already had enough fissionable material to build hundreds of more nukes if needed.

Its about deployment strategies.
Sorry Bhai jan app nahi samajh rahe point ko. As accused hundreds of time others on this forum, still you miss the point. We are Baniyas.

We won't spend a dime more this Puja/Diwali if we have an opportunity to save it, invest it, quadruple it by next one. We had enough reserves to make 100 more nukes back then iff we sacrificed our civil Nuclear program. We didn't and showed the world that we know how to exercise restraint. "With great powers comes great responsibilities". We grew our civil nuclear power generation by those fissile material stock and did not grow our stockpile .Even when it meant sticking to a number lesser than our staunch "not so well wisher". That is something when you are surrounded by two nuclear armed state. One riddled with people suffering from suicidal tendencies and other a worthy foe to present and future super powers. Many took that show of restrain as inability. That changed.

The turning point came when we had a willing government at the top. Willing not to use the nukes. Willing to show the world that we could but we didn't and won't. PMO literally went shaking hands, building bridges (sometimes literally) with who's who of world politics showing that we are not what they where lead to believe by their predecessors and advisors. PMO represented India as this family guy who knew everybody, came to everyones party, good with children, gave perfectly balanced gifts which where neither too valuable that made you swear your soul nor so cheap that you tossed to the corner of the room. In short a constructive member to society. It definitely helped that Narandra Modi was an established people person. That made it really hard for people arround him to not relate with him.Don't get me wrong and put on stakes me as sanghi or modi bhakt. Our current govt got a lot of things which where ripe for harvest as blessings in a blessing or a curse.

Much of the ground work which you see happened in field was layed long before the head of PMO was a familiar face. It is just that the current head has played his bad cards very well, very carefully. Before the current government came to power we where setting records by our power plants. Our nuclear Power plants registered high availability factor, safety performance and longest continuous operation comparable to international standards. The Indian nuclear power plants have also performed at par with international benchmarks. The performance of Indian nuclear power reactors in terms of safety has been excellent, with 282 reactor years of safe, accident free operation. The releases to the environment have been a small fraction of the limit prescribed by the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB).

DAE/NPCIL vision is to achieve 20,000 MWe by the year 2020. Integrated Energy Policy of India estimates share of nuclear power in the total primary energy mix to be between 4.0 to 6.4% in various scenarios in the year 2031-32. The study by the Department of Atomic
Energy (DAE), estimates the nuclear share to be about 8.6% by the year 2032 and 16.6% by the year 2052.

The NSG green light was when the flood gates flew open. With access to better quality Uranium meant we can implement our closed fuel cycle on a truely commercial scale. We now where not limited to low quality and low quantity locally available (may be organically grown, no GMO, gluten free ;-) ) produce.

I know you may be very well versed with the technical aspects of our Nuclear power and weapons program. This is just my 2 cents on how that coupled with cooperative center can help it grow. Nothing that you or others where privy off.

Sorry Bhai jan app nahi samajh rahe point ko. As accused hundreds of time others on this forum, still you miss the point. We are Baniyas.

We won't spend a dime more this Puja/Diwali if we have an opportunity to save it, invest it, quadruple it by next one. We had enough reserves to make 100 more nukes back then iff we sacrificed our civil Nuclear program. We didn't and showed the world that we know how to exercise restraint. "With great powers comes great responsibilities". We grew our civil nuclear power generation by those fissile material stock and did not grow our stockpile .Even when it meant sticking to a number lesser than our staunch "not so well wisher". That is something when you are surrounded by two nuclear armed state. One riddled with people suffering from suicidal tendencies and other a worthy foe to present and future super powers. Many took that show of restrain as inability. That changed.

The turning point came when we had a willing government at the top. Willing not to use the nukes. Willing to show the world that we could but we didn't and won't. PMO literally went shaking hands, building bridges (sometimes literally) with who's who of world politics showing that we are not what they where lead to believe by their predecessors and advisors. PMO represented India as this family guy who knew everybody, came to everyones party, good with children, gave perfectly balanced gifts which where neither too valuable that made you swear your soul nor so cheap that you tossed to the corner of the room. In short a constructive member to society. It definitely helped that Narandra Modi was an established people person. That made it really hard for people arround him to not relate with him.Don't get me wrong and put on stakes me as sanghi or modi bhakt. Our current govt got a lot of things which where ripe for harvest as blessings in a blessing or a curse.

Much of the ground work which you see happened in field was layed long before the head of PMO was a familiar face. It is just that the current head has played his bad cards very well, very carefully. Before the current government came to power we where setting records by our power plants. Our nuclear Power plants registered high availability factor, safety performance and longest continuous operation comparable to international standards. The Indian nuclear power plants have also performed at par with international benchmarks. The performance of Indian nuclear power reactors in terms of safety has been excellent, with 282 reactor years of safe, accident free operation. The releases to the environment have been a small fraction of the limit prescribed by the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB).

DAE/NPCIL vision is to achieve 20,000 MWe by the year 2020. Integrated Energy Policy of India estimates share of nuclear power in the total primary energy mix to be between 4.0 to 6.4% in various scenarios in the year 2031-32. The study by the Department of Atomic
Energy (DAE), estimates the nuclear share to be about 8.6% by the year 2032 and 16.6% by the year 2052.

The NSG green light was when the flood gates flew open. With access to better quality Uranium meant we can implement our closed fuel cycle on a truely commercial scale. We now where not limited to low quality and low quantity locally available (may be organically grown, no GMO, gluten free ;-) ) produce.

I know you may be very well versed with the technical aspects of our Nuclear power and weapons program. This is just my 2 cents on how that coupled with cooperative center can help it grow. Nothing that you or others where privy off.

More Indian BS. The truth is, Uncle Sam has given you experimental designs so they can validate them thousands of miles away from their own homeland. The whole sudden bonanza in nuclear and space technologies since mid 2000s is American lagniappes given due to strategic reasons. Enjoy while you can, but don't try to act all high and mighty.

http://www.greenpeace.org/india/en/...s-in-India/Accidents-at-nuclear-power-plants/
upload_2017-9-6_1-47-52.png

The truth is, Uncle Sam has given you experimental designs so they can validate them thousands of miles away from their own homeland. The whole sudden bonanza in nuclear and space technologies since mid 2000s is American lagniappes given due to strategic reasons

BS. All Indian reactors built post 2000 (except 2X VVER 1000) are Indian designed PHWRs or FBRs. Except one lone BWR built in the 60s, no US reactor was ever made in India.

And I can judge your level of knowledge when you say that US gave us 'space technology' for strategic reasons.

Source: Greenpeace.

That's legit.

BS. All Indian reactors built post 2000 (except 2X VVER 1000) are Indian designed PHWRs or FBRs. Except one lone BWR built in the 60s, no US reactor was ever made in India.

And I can judge your level of knowledge when you say that US gave us 'space technology' for strategic reasons.

Source: Greenpeace.

That's legit.

Yes, strategic reasons. Who doesn't want to cut dependence on Russian space transportation AND minimize costs by using cheap Indian labor?

You can put the label 'Indian designed' just like you have 'Made in India'. You fool only your own selves.

Greenpeace is an international organization and very much legit.

Yes, strategic reasons. Who doesn't want to cut dependence on Russian space transportation AND minimize costs by using cheap Indian labor?

You can put the label 'Indian designed' just like you have 'Made in India'. You fool only your own selves.

Moron, the only Indian Space launcher offered to international launchers is PSLV & that was designed in the late 1980s.

Also,

http://spacenews.com/u-s-space-transport-companies-lobby-to-maintain-ban-on-use-of-indian-rockets/

While economics is driving American companies to Indian shores, politics prevented them from doing so in the past. The policy is a legacy of the time when India was blacklisted by the United States after the 1998 nuclear tests in Pokhran and American companies were banned from doing business with Indian firms.

As part of the export control policy, a list of 200 entities, including agencies of the Indian Space Research Organisation, was drawn up and US companies were barred from doing anything with them.

As late as 2016...

Agreeing that Indian launch services, owned and controlled by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), threaten to “distort the conditions of competition” in the launch-services market, the US Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has endorsed the Commercial Space Transportation Advisory Committee’s (COMSTAC) recommendation to continue to bar commercial US satellites from using India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV). India’s refusal to sign a Commercial Space Launch Agreement (CSLA) on rocket pricing still justifies the ban, the FAA added.

So much for logic...

Greenpeace is an international organization and very much legit.

The worst mishap that occurred on Indian NPS was ranked INES level 3, serious incident. Literally every other major nuclear power had worse.

There is no point as usual, except environmental terrorism (in Greenpeace's case) & sheer jealousy (as in your case)

Moron, the only Indian Space launcher offered to international launchers is PSLV & that was designed in the late 1980s.

Also,

While economics is driving American companies to Indian shores, politics prevented them from doing so in the past. The policy is a legacy of the time when India was blacklisted by the United States after the 1998 nuclear tests in Pokhran and American companies were banned from doing business with Indian firms.

As part of the export control policy, a list of 200 entities, including agencies of the Indian Space Research Organisation, was drawn up and US companies were barred from doing anything with them.

As late as 2016...

Agreeing that Indian launch services, owned and controlled by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), threaten to “distort the conditions of competition” in the launch-services market, the US Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has endorsed the Commercial Space Transportation Advisory Committee’s (COMSTAC) recommendation to continue to bar commercial US satellites from using India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV). India’s refusal to sign a Commercial Space Launch Agreement (CSLA) on rocket pricing still justifies the ban, the FAA added.

So much for logic...

The worst mishap that occurred on Indian NPS was ranked INES level 3, serious incident. Literally every other major nuclear power had worse.

There is no point as usual, except environmental terrorism (in Greenpeace's case) & sheer jealousy (as in your case)

I hate duplicitous characters who cherry pick information to try and corroborate their view point. I hate them even more when they descend to name calling. So first things first. Stop name calling. I won't give you a second warning.

Now, from the very link you posted:

upload_2017-9-6_2-12-42.png

I used the word 'strategic' for a reason. It means, in the long term, certain groups in the US see the benefit of cheap Indian transport. There are always groups in favour and against new avenues.

The point is that I am calling out the following in post number 62 https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/indi...er-bullitin-atomic.515902/page-5#post-9836652

upload_2017-9-6_2-19-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-6_2-11-56.png
    upload_2017-9-6_2-11-56.png
    875.1 KB · Views: 215
Let's show him who is the boss.
Actually the coward obama should be blame for this crisis,for the sake of peace he jeopardize billions of people. I know that uncle sam.is evil,but he is definitely less evil than dictatorship like saddam, Gaddafi and north korea.

@OT,

India seems to have abandoned the defensive nuclear posturing since around 2010, after what seems to be a major policy shift. Indian military command now believes in not using nukes merely for deterrence, but for fighting a comprehensive nuclear war on multiple levels, just like Pakistan.

Since then, India has rapidly evolved its nuclear weapons-related infrastructure at breakneck speed. At least half a dozen new nuclear weapons storage sites have been spotted in Indian states along Pakistani border and at major Naval bases. Thats why we now see ex- and present Indian officials suggesting abandonment of the NFU and preemptive decapitation strikes. (not so) Surprisingly, there seems to be almost no activity against China in this regard.

This sets a very dangerous precedent for the future of the subcontinent.
Just so, this change in doctrine can also be attributed some extent to improvement in ties with USA.

For examples in the 90s India was even shy of its Agni missile program stating it was a mere technology demonstrator.

And India's SLBM development remained a secret all over 2000s unlike other ballistic missile development.

I hate duplicitous characters who cherry pick information to try and corroborate their view point. I hate them even more when they descend to name calling. So first things first. Stop name calling. I won't give you a second warning.

Clutching straws again ?

Indian launchers were banned from launching US commercial payloads by CSLA 1984

There had been a few waivers, but those were picosats have been a few it's value is way too small.

No Indian PSLV has ever carried a US satellite as primary payload. Why would they do a ToT for saving a few million?

And how would the alleged 'US ToT' help PSLV, a launcher that was a mature design even before the year 2000s, when the alleged 'US ToT' happened

And what exactly is the transferred technology ?

The point is that I am calling out the following in post number 62

What does your Greenpeace cherrypicking prove ? Did we ever had a LOCA ? A INES level 7 incident like 3 mile island ?

Clutching straws again ?

Indian launchers were banned from launching US commercial payloads by CSLA 1984

There had been a few waivers, but those were picosats have been a few it's value is way too small.

No Indian PSLV has ever carried a US satellite as primary payload. Why would they do a ToT for saving a few million?

And how would the alleged 'US ToT' help PSLV, a launcher that was a mature design even before the year 2000s, when the alleged 'US ToT' happened

And what exactly is the transferred technology ?

Stop living in the past and grasp the word 'strategic'.

There is a thousand and one areas where they could help. Just a small example would be guidance systems. Other areas can include testing. Or simply, allowing you to purchase American components, or access American experts.

How about you ask your government to open up your space program for full inspection. We will send people from Pakistan to independently verify how much 'indigenous design' you have.

What does your Greenpeace cherrypicking prove ? Did we ever had a LOCA ? A INES level 7 incident like 3 mile island ?

Go back and read the tall claims in your countryman's post. It was total exaggeration. That is the point.

Go back and read the tall claims in your countryman's post. It was total exaggeration. That is the point.

In this scale, events are classified at seven levels. The lower levels (1-3) are termed as ‘Anomaly /incidents’, and the upper levels (4-7) as ‘Accidents’.

The worst ever 'incident' to occur in an Indian NPP, a INES level 3 incident happened way back in 1993. Two & a half decade ago.

In 2014, India had 410 years of cumulative reactor operation. So the figure given is correct.

We will send people from Pakistan to independently verify how much 'indigenous design' you have.

Sure, we need certifications from the great space faring nation called Pakistan...

Stop living in the past and grasp the word 'strategic'.

Did you google the meaning of strategic, just like the word 'lagniappes' :lol:

There is a thousand and one areas where they could help.

More 'could's...Again I'm asking you what exactly was the help, since you assert that our space program is based on US ToT ? ?

Just a small example would be guidance systems

Thanks, but no thanks. PSLV used DTG based INS. India has 2 research establishments that have independently developed RLGs- IISU of ISRO & RCI of DRDO.

In this scale, events are classified at seven levels. The lower levels (1-3) are termed as ‘Anomaly /incidents’, and the upper levels (4-7) as ‘Accidents’.

The worst ever 'incident' to occur in an Indian NPP, a INES level 3 incident happened way back in 1993. Two & a half decade ago.

In 2014, India had 410 years of cumulative reactor operation. So the figure given is correct.

Sure, we need certifications from the great space faring nation called Pakistan...

Did you google the meaning of strategic, just like the word 'lagniappes' :lol:

I don't need to google in order to improve my vocabulary, but you need to actually peruse the links provided. And this is now the second warning I am giving you against personal attacks.

Now, posting from the link I supplied earlier. By the way, we aren't looking to 'certify' you, just validate your claims of 'indigenous design'.

http://www.greenpeace.org/india/en/...s-in-India/Accidents-at-nuclear-power-plants/
Below is a list of leaks, fires and structural damages that have occurred in India’s civilian nuclear power sector. Numerous other examples of oil leaks, hydrogen leaks, fires and high bearing vibrations have often shut plants, and sometimes not (1).

As the Department of Atomic Energy is not obliged to reveal details of ongoings at these plants to the public, there may be many other accidents that we do not know about.

April 2011 Fire alarms blare in the control room of the Kaiga Generating Station in Karnataka. Comments by officials alternately say there was no fire, that there was only smoke and no fire, and that the fire was not in a sensitive area (2). Details from the AERB are awaited.

November 2009 Fifty-five employees consume radioactive material after tritiated water finds its way into the drinking water cooler in Kaiga Generating Station. The NPCIL attributes the incident to “an insider’s mischief” (3).

April 2003 Six tonnes leak of heavy water at reactor II of the Narora Atomic Power Station (NAPS) in Uttar Pradesh (4), indicating safety measures have not been improved from the leak at the same reactor three years previously.

January 2003 Failure of a valve in the Kalpakkam Atomic Reprocessing Plant in Tamil Nadu results in the release of high-level waste, exposing six workers to high doses of radiation (5). The leaking area of the plant had no radiation monitors or mechanisms to detect valve failure, which may have prevented the employees’ exposure. A safety committee had previously recommended that the plant be shut down. The management blames the “over enthusiasm” of the workers (6).

May 2002 Tritiated water leaks from a downgraded heavy water storage tank at the tank farm of Rajasthan Atomic Power Station (RAPS) 1&2 into a common dyke area. An estimated 22.2 Curies of radioactivity is released into the environment (7).

November 2001 A leak of 1.4 tonnes of heavy water at the NAPS I reactor, resulting in one worker receiving an internal radiation dose of 18.49 mSv (8).

April 2000 Leak of about seven tonnes of heavy water from the moderator system at NAPS Unit II. Various workers involved in the clean-up received ‘significant uptakes of tritium’, although only one had a radiation dose over the recommended annual limit (9).

March 1999 Somewhere between four and fourteen tonnes (10) of heavy water leaks from the pipes at Madras Atomic Power Station (MAPS) at Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu, during a test process. The pipes have a history of cracks and vibration problems (11) . Forty-two people are reportedly involved in mopping up the radioactive liquid (12).

May 1994 The inner surface of the containment dome of Unit I of Kaiga Generating Station collapses (delaminates) while the plant is under construction. Approximately 130 tonnes of concrete fall from a height of nearly thirty metres (13), injuring fourteen workers. The dome had already been completed (14), forming the part of the reactor designed to prevent escape of radioactive material into the environment in the case of an accident. Fortunately, the core had not then been loaded.

February 1994 Helium gas and heavy water leak in Unit 1 of RAPS. The plant is shut down until March 1997 (15).

March 1993 Two blades of the turbine in NAPS Unit I break off, slicing through other blades and indirectly causing a raging fire, which catches onto leaked oil and spreads through the turbine building. The smoke sensors fail to detect the fire, which is only noticed once workers see the flames. It causes a blackout in the plant, including the shutdown of the secondary cooling systems, and power is not restored for seventeen hours. In the meantime, operators have to manually activate the primary shutdown system. They also climb onto the roof to open valves to slow the reactions in the core by hand (16). The incident was rated as a Level 3 on the International Nuclear Event Scale, INES.

May 1992 Tube leak causes a radioactive release of 12 Curies of radioactivity from Tarapur Atomic Power Station (17).

January 1992 Four tons of heavy water spilt at RAPS (17).

December 1991 A leak from pipelines in the vicinity of CIRUS and Dhruva research reactors at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in Trombay, Maharashtra, results in severe Cs-137 soil contamination of thousands of times the acceptable limit. Local vegetation was also found to be contaminated, though contract workers digging to the leaking pipeline were reportedly not tested for radiation exposure, despite the evidence of their high dose (18).

July 1991 A contracted labourer mistakenly paints the walls of RAPS with heavy water before applying a coat of whitewash. He also washed his paintbrush, face and hands in the deuterated and tritiated water, and has not been traced since (19).

March 1991 Heavy water leak at MAPS takes four days to clean up (20).

Stop living in the past

Nice comeback, but the facts say that...

Indian launchers were banned from launching US commercial payloads by CSLA 1984.

No Indian PSLV has ever carried a US satellite as primary payload.

Again, proves nothing.

India never had an 'accident' only 'incidents'.

I don't need to google in order to improve my vocabulary

You posted a screenshot of your window...

upload_2017-9-6_2-11-56-png.423266

By the way, we aren't looking to 'certify' you, just validate your claims of 'indigenous design'.

Try developing your own space & nuclear sectors instead of bad mouthing Indians.

More 'could's...Again I'm asking you what exactly was the help, since you assert that our space program is based on US ToT ? ?

Thanks, but no thanks. PSLV used DTG based INS. India has 2 research establishments that have independently developed RLGs- IISU of ISRO & RCI of DRDO.

Where do the microelectronics come from for your guidance systems? Don't tell me you get them from China? What about cryogenic systems?

Seriously, if you could produce a space rocket from nose to tail within India, you would already be a super power. You aren't. Although you do try very hard.

Back
Top Bottom