What's new

Indian navy successfully test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.

I cant deny anti ship role if brahmos,but i cant digest the claims made by indians about brahmos as land based cruise missiles..
Imagine the G forces involved when the missile at say 20 meter above ground will have to encounter while making course adjustments to avoid trees,hills and other obstacles...

I cant deny anti ship role if brahmos,but i cant digest the claims made by indians about brahmos as land based cruise missiles..
Imagine the G forces involved when the missile at say 20 meter above ground will have to encounter while making course adjustments

BrahMos doesn't really face problems when it comes to course adjustments. It is super manoeuvrable.

Yeah it's quite likely that the land version won't fly 10 m above groun like sea version, but it flies very low nonetheless.

Sorry i cant agree with all the tall claims made in the wiki article.
It will be better if you can post a close enough example of another supersonic cruise missile with same or similar capabilities.
All other supersonic cruise missiles are either nuclear stand off,where accuracy doesnt matter..
Or sea skimming anti ship where the missile does not have to make tight turns..

There is always a first ... And may be brahmos is a first of its type...but still.....hard to beleive..
A close enoygh existing example will sure help

It will be better if you can post a close enough example of another supersonic cruise missile with same or similar capabilities.
All other supersonic cruise missiles are either nuclear stand off,where accuracy doesnt matter..
or to attack ports!:undecided:

I don't really see why another similar missile has to exist.

It has previously been used to attack one small target, surrounded by a cluster of large ones. All it's tall claims have previously been tested.

are we discussing why this missile is accurate

^^^ for this simple eeason.
Any scuentific claim has to be reproducable under similar circumsrances fir credibility..ir it will be another 'water car'
Reproducibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is reproducible. Maybe no other such missile exists, simply because no one else has tried to make it.

Regardless, it's not all media hype, and while I know that the figure of "near-zero" CEP is just from an over-excited media report, it should be noted that previous tests have shown that it is deadly accurate, and capable of super-manoeuvrability.

254781_10151118713342655_1058098415_n.jpg

I like it. :D

If we could tweak MTCR this time using the US-Korean agreement as an excuse to raise the MTCR barrier issue (US raised SK missile range to 800 Km) then there is a fighting chance that we could do the same with BrahMos.

Technically I don't think Russians would mind Dr. Pillai to arrange for BrahMos's range increase but due to that stupid MTCR, we cannot do anything under the "Indo-Russian company" banner.

A timely raising of the issue of US-Korean missile range increase, would enable us to increase the range of all our BrahMos missiles.

Nirbhay may answer our quest for range but it is still going to be a subsonic missile which will be fielded in thousands. What we need is BrahMos' speed and power coupled with Nirbhay's range.

The MTCR is a collective regime of a few countries, and is NOT a treaty that is internationally ratified, thats why US is free to export its TLAMs to countries like UK. You wouldn't have known...we've been "violating" this MTCR dozens of times.

According to couple of insiders like Prasun Sengupta, Block-III BrahMos (the one deployed in Arunachal Pradesh) has a range of 550 km with proven top-attack capability, to seek out and destroy targets located behind mountains, inside small valleys etc. The reason why Block-I BrahMos ASCM is limited to 290km is because IN does not possess the required kind of OTHT (Over The Horizon Targeting) capability for faciliting anti-ship strikes beyond that range. As IN improves its OTHT ability, the range of Block-I could also be increased beyond 300km all the same.

Block-II is also at 290km because it wouldn't require a farther range since 1) it's mounted on all-mobile vehicles, and 2) It's present range is sufficient to attack most of all important targets in Pakistan, including Islamabad.

Block-III needed much range farther to reach out deep into Chengdu, Xinjiang or TAR provinces to attack far-flung Chinese bases, and thats what it got, a range of 550km for this business.

---

There is already a 600-km range supersonic cruise missile well into development, it's the LRCM. It could have a speed between Mach 3.2 and Mach 4. It would be "visible" by 2014.

EzioAltaïr;3484609 said:
They've already tested the nuclear capable BrahMos back in 2009, and possibly inducted it as well.

I don't think Brahmos can carry nuclear warhead right now because it can only carry 300 kg and we don't have miniture nuclear warhead may be in future .

I like it. :D

If we could tweak MTCR this time using the US-Korean agreement as an excuse to raise the MTCR barrier issue (US raised SK missile range to 800 Km) then there is a fighting chance that we could do the same with BrahMos.

Technically I don't think Russians would mind Dr. Pillai to arrange for BrahMos's range increase but due to that stupid MTCR, we cannot do anything under the "Indo-Russian company" banner.

A timely raising of the issue of US-Korean missile range increase, would enable us to increase the range of all our BrahMos missiles.

Nirbhay may answer our quest for range but it is still going to be a subsonic missile which will be fielded in thousands. What we need is BrahMos' speed and power coupled with Nirbhay's range.

If we can "tweak" the 40 years old NPT & with the help of US, get the approval of the 45 member NSG to have a civil nuclear trade, i don't think MTCR will be a barrier for us :D. I am damn sure that Brahmos range is way above 300km mark which is officially acknowledged.

Back
Top Bottom