What's new

Indian Navy puts out tender for submarine batteries

You are saying indian companies can provide good quality submarine batteries?

Yes, that is precisely what I said.
And most of the reactions here on this thread are simply 'knee-jerk Hoo Haa' based on insufficient knowledge. Batteries are acquired in batches and are then maintained in reserve to be used when required. These batches are requisitioned in anticipation of projected requirements since they cannot be acquired "off the shelf" and there are thus "lead time" requirements. Batteries usually have a life span based on usage and the number of charge-discharge cycles. Even routine maintenance affects the life of batteries, though marginally. They are considered to be Major Eqpt and are never acquired on the spur of the moment.
This tender is part of such acquisition processes which take place routinely, nothing more than that.

Maybe there is a program to develop them underway, but there is an immediate need to replenish Indian sub batteries to ensure their operational force does not suffer any further. They are ordering thousands of batteries, which would not be quick to produce from scratch domestically.

@Capt.Popeye

“Transition to Eminence: The Indian Navy 1976-1990” by GM Hiranandani is an authoritative 2005 book commissioned by NHQ. It mentions that the Kilo-class has 448 batteries (not 240 as media has reported). Located fore and aft in battery pits with the sailor's bunks/billets above them, they cumulatively weigh 300 tons with each battery measuring 1 x1/2m. Their “life” is measured in 100 charge and discharge cycles/three years. With no exhaust outlet possible underwater, battery charging can only be done on surface or at “snort” (periscope) level because the chargers diesel exhaust then gets taken out along-side the submarine's periscope. In the Russian operating cycle, a three year refit cycle called “Current Repairs” coincides with battery replacement.

The book states that the Russian grid-system batteries supplied as Original Equipment produced far more hydrogen in tropical India (with its attendant ill-effects) than they did in cold Russia and, besides, needed cooling down. Private vendor Standard Batteries accepted the “improve” challenge and teamed with Tudor Batteries Sweden to create a battery with a unique “tube cooling” system. Far superior, the Indian battery has an enhanced life; releases lesser hydrogen. Consequently, for years now, Russia has been out-sourcing its Kilo-class batteries from India as are other K-class users.

Another source:

Russia’s Type 877 Kilo Class diesel-electric submarines have gained a reputation as extremely quiet boats, and are in service with Russia (24), China (2), India (8), Iran (3), Poland, Romania and Algeria. India’s Type 877EKM Sindhugosh Class submarines [S55-S62] began to travel to Russia for refits in 1997, with S58 INS Sindhuvir as the first candidate. A German-designed, Indian-built main battery has replaced the Russian batteries in all vessels, and India’s submarines have also received either a Russian upgrade package of missiles, sonar, and machinery & weapon control systems, or India’s indigenous Panchendriya package. The goal is to bring them closer to parity with the more advanced Type 636

@surya kiran; I am aware of that, just as I did have the opportunity to interact with V/Adm Gulab Hiranandani when he was alive. The first indigenisation was carried out for the Foxtrot Batteries. It was done by Standard Batteries and was overseen by a Commodore of the IN. After retirement he was MD of Standard Batteries. This predated even the projects for the Kilos and the HDW boats.

@surya kiran; I am aware of that, just as I did have the opportunity to interact with V/Adm Gulab Hiranandani when he was alive. The first indigenisation was carried out for the Foxtrot Batteries. It was done by Standard Batteries and was overseen by a Commodore of the IN. After retirement he was MD of Standard Batteries. This predated even the projects for the Kilos and the HDW boats.

I am sure you were aware of that! Just dug out the mention for you :D

Back
Top Bottom