What's new

Indian Navy pleased with P-8I performance on first op deployment

jarves

Reaction score
Country
India
It was to scout the site of a tragedy that the Indian Navy had been enlisted for, but it also happened to be the first live operational deployment of its P-8I long range maritime reconnaissance aircraft. The hunt for ill-fated Malaysia Airlines Flight MH-370 saw three P-8I aircraft deployed from Arakkonam for duties from INS Utkrosh, with one aircraft subsequently deployed to Kuala Lumpur for Malaysia-led search operations in the Southern Indian Ocean. Naval sources say the P-8I performed excellently, and the crew had a chance to stretch the aircraft's legs in a live operational scenario in a networked environment, communicating with military aircraft from other countries and ground stations. While the P-8I type was fielded at the TROPEX 14 exercise as well, the hunt for MH-370 was its first real-world object-oriented mission. A US Navy P-8A was also in the air over the Indian Ocean as part of search operations. The two major components that the Indian Navy P-8I has which aren't fitted on the P-8A are Telephonics APS-143 OceanEye aft radar and a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD). Sources say crew got a chance to see what each of the subsystems and sensors were capable of on a long-range mission

Indian Navy pleased with P–8I performance on first op deployment - SP's Naval Forces

Some people were bitching about purchase of P8I by India after some leaked reports,It is a slap on face of those people.

Indeed...btw the unique systems installed in P-8I (P-8A are Telephonics APS-143 OceanEye aft radar and a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD)) is made in India?

Indeed...btw the unique systems installed in P-8I (P-8A are Telephonics APS-143 OceanEye aft radar and a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD)) is made in India?

No, they should be US origined, since they were only options that the USN simply didn't took. The customization afaik is only aimed on com systems and avionics.

Edit: + Airframe parts:

Boeing_P8.jpg

the hunt for MH-370 was its first real-world object-oriented mission

It's sad the plane could not be located by anyone so far. But these ops must have surely proved useful
for the P-8I crews to get accustomed to detecting/monitoring submerged objects in a given area.

No, they should be US origined, since they were only options that the USN simply didn't took. The customization afaik is only aimed on com systems and avionics.

Edit: + Airframe parts:

Boeing_P8.jpg

BTW what does "ARK" on the tail mean?

I still don't know why the IN didn't deploy these P-8Is to Perth instead of KL.

These are easily the most capable MPAs in service anywhere in the world even the US

I am sure IN wants to have more of these other than what they have mentioned of about 30 P-8Is....

Also there is still a good possibility of IAF acquiring even after the accident about 50+ C-130s in different models and configurations and about 40 C-17s to replace 30+ IL-76.

I am sure IN wants to have more of these other than what they have mentioned of about 30 P-8Is....

Also there is still a good possibility of IAF acquiring even after the accident about 50+ C-130s in different models and configurations and about 40 C-17s to replace 30+ IL-76.
@Oscar : you said you wont tolerate anybody with false numbers/statistics. Please tell this kid. He is doing it in all threads and he is sure. :rofl:

I am saying that there might be possibiltiy/..
You started with I am sure !!! Please do enlighten us how you are sure ???
And why you need to make a shopping list in every thread ???
I don't know whats your fantasy but you should understand that you are spoiling the threads with your own created wish-lists !!!!

If you want to make a claim back it up or just dont.
Do you even know how much 50+ C-130s will cost ???
Its not bhindibajar

Back
Top Bottom