What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

The Trishul blog reported something interesting in regard of the French Mistral class:

TRISHUL: GRSE Bags Order From MoD for LPV Destined For Mauritius

Now the Mistral class is not an LPD, but an LHD and according to the reports IN is specifically searching for LDPs only. However, it would be more than interesting to see if there is really such an proposal and if IN would accept it, because the LHDs are clearly more capable and suitable for INs needs.

Yes but given it is a LHD does the IN have enough helos to operate off it? The 16-60 Mulitrole helo tender is still out there with NO NEWS WHATSOEVER and ageing Chetaks and Sea Kings need to go. Would be awesome to see 3+ Mistrals with PROPER ZCOMPLEMNT OF MODERN helos in service with IN.

Yes but given it is a LHD does the IN have enough helos to operate off it? The 16-60 Mulitrole helo tender is still out there with NO NEWS WHATSOEVER and ageing Chetaks and Sea Kings need to go. Would be awesome to see 3+ Mistrals with PROPER ZCOMPLEMNT OF MODERN helos in service with IN.

The licence evaluation and licence production will take years, so enough time to aquire helicopters, IN could even couple the deals, because most of the helicopters will be in the same class anyway, although I would like to see some CH53Ks in IN as well.

The licence evaluation and licence production will take years, so enough time to aquire helicopters, IN could even couple the deals, because most of the helicopters will be in the same class anyway, although I would like to see some CH53Ks in IN as well.

Come on this is India we are talking about. It has been years since RFI for Medium helo went out, first give me news on that, all tests have been done what more has to happen? Even the vendors are not sure what's going on.

Come on this is India we are talking about. It has been years since RFI for Medium helo went out, first give me news on that, all tests have been done what more has to happen? Even the vendors are not sure what's going on.

Who said tests have been done? I know an RFI was send out, but never heared of an RFP, or trials and yes, exactly because this is India, everything will take longer no matter if we like it or not.

Who said tests have been done? I know an RFI was send out, but never heared of an RFP, or trials and yes, exactly because this is India, everything will take longer no matter if we like it or not.

I have heard the trails were completed

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard the trails were completed

He said that they prepare flight test evaluation for IN in the US, not in India, so they just showing us the capabilities, of their product, but that's not the trials, because they have to be done by IN evaluation teams in India.

I'm sorry that's not true. C-130s did not come to India, neither did MKI,P-8i, M2k, AW101 etc why does it matter where the trails take place? IN teams only need to see the performance to make assessment.

At least that's what I'm hoping otherwise this is going to gonon and on.

I'm sorry that's not true. C-130s did not come to India, neither did MKI,P-8i, M2k, AW101 etc why does it matter where the trails take place? IN teams only need to see the performance to make assessment.

At least that's what I'm hoping otherwise this is going to gonon and on.

Maybe because none of them were available for trials and just under development, or because some of them were not a competition with other aircrafts. The AW 101 btw was evaluated by IAF and they disqualified the Sikorsky S92 for technical reasons, on the other hand we know tha Apaches, Chinooks, Bell helicopter all went to India for trials during real competitions, just like the F16 and F18 during MMRCA.
It is important because India has specific requirements that other countries don't have (different climate conditions for example) so all the specs on paper, may not be true when they were fielded in India itself. Not to mention that vendors tend to make their products look better then they really are.

Maybe because none of them were available for trials and just under development, or because some of them were not a competition with other aircrafts. The AW 101 btw was evaluated by IAF and they disqualified the Sikorsky S92 for technical reasons, on the other hand we know tha Apaches, Chinooks, Bell helicopter all went to India for trials during real competitions, just like the F16 and F18 during MMRCA.
It is important because India has specific requirements that other countries don't have (different climate conditions for example) so all the specs on paper, may not be true when they were fielded in India itself. Not to mention that vendors tend to make their products look better then they really are.

So does that mean we have years of waiting left?

So does that mean we have years of waiting left?

Depends on IN/MoD and how fast we really need these helicopters, the lease for example that was proposed to ICG was denied by GoI/MoD as far as I know, so it seems there is no need to hurry.

For IN Sale sale sale ::: Amphibious Ship For Sale, Sold: RFA Largs Bay
The fate of a nearly-new British amphibious support ship, RFA Largs Bay, is all about timing.

Britain commissioned 4 of the 176m long, 16,200t Bay Class LSD amphibious ships to renew a very run-down capability. The new “Alternative Landing Ship Logistic” ships were built from the same base Enforcer template that produced the successful Dutch Rotterdam and Johann de Witt, and Spanish Galicia class programs. Britain ordered 4 of these ALSL/LSD-A ships into its Royal Fleet Auxiliary, and active use began with RFA Largs Bay’s commissioning in 2006. By 2011, however, Britain’s fiscal situation was so dire that a strategic review marked RFA Largs Bay for decommissioning in April 2011, after just a fraction of its 30+ year service life.

That was bad timing for Britain, but good timing for others…

For IN Sale sale sale ::: Amphibious Ship For Sale, Sold: RFA Largs Bay

^^^ I don't think so. India has the money now not to need to go for old, second hand relics. India can/is going for the latex and best tech it can, INS Jalaswa was good buy for IN at the time, as more of a training ship than anything else. It has given IN/IA much needed experience in amphibious warfare and now they know what they want/need and have given out RFIs accordingly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom