What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

Can someone please tell me why do we have such a huge bridge on Vikramaditya.... Do we really need such a huge thing on deck or is it just that Russians are not dismantling it to save cost.... All the modern ACs have a very small bridge on deck and our's is like the biggest in the world...... Any idea..?
Are you talking abt the Island?

You can say that, I meant the control tower to be specefic.... Don't you think it's too too big for a ship that size..?
Ok. Form what I can observe that this ship was actually not meant or made to an aircraft carrier in the first place. It was a battle cruiser and a helicopter carrier.
It used could have needed a bigger island coz it had long range Bazalt cruise missiles and SAMs.
So it could have needed a bigger island as it also housed CIWS close to its island. you can see that in the actual pic below. this island housed everything needed for a battle cruiser.

It was never an aircraft carrier:)...

Carrier_Baku.jpg

India, US defence deal set to get bigger - The Times of India

India, US defence deal set to get bigger
Rajat Pandit, TNN, Sep 30, 2010, 03.40am IST

NEW DELHI: India's biggest- ever defence deal inked with US till now is all set to get bigger. Plans are virtually final now to order another four P-8I Poseidon long-range maritime patrol aircraft to add to the eight already contracted under the $2.1 billion deal inked last year. Defence ministry sources say the project to acquire four more Boeing P-8I aircraft will be taken up for approval in the meeting of the defence acquisitions council, headed by A K Antony, on October 8.

It will be held in the backdrop of the recent visits of Antony and Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma to US. ''The new P-8Is will cost the same as each of the eight ordered in January 2009, without any cost escalation. There will also be similar offsets requirements. In the original $2.1-billion contract, the offsets were valued over $600 million,'' said a source.

India is going in for the 12 P-8Is to plug huge gaps in its maritime snooping capabilities in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), which has become heavily militarised with even China increasingly making strategic forays into the region.

At present, Navy has a woefully-inadequate maritime reconnaissance fleet of eight ageing Russian Tupolev-142M turboprops and five upgraded Ilyushin-38SD aircraft, a dozen Israeli Heron and Searcher-II spy drones, and a few Dornier-228 squadrons.

Based on the Boeing 737 commercial airliners with cruise speeds of 445 knots, the P-8Is will not undertake just surveillance missions. They will also be capable of deadly anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare, armed as they will be with torpedoes, depth bombs and Harpoon missiles.

They will have ''a mission radius'' of 600 nautical miles, with 5.5 hours on-station loitering time, and 1,200 nautical miles, with 4 hours on station. With mid-air refuelling, their operational radius will further go up. The first of the eight original P-8Is is slated to be inducted by early-2013, with the others following by 2016. The US Navy, too, will begin inducting the first lot of its 117 P-8A multi-mission maritime aircraft around the same time.

P-8Is are being customised to Indian naval requirements, with communication, electronic warfare and other systems being sourced from India. For instance, defence PSU Bharat Electronics is delivering Data Link-II, a communication system to enable rapid exchange of information among Indian warships, submarines aircraft and shore establishments, for the P-8Is to Boeing. There is, however, the question of India having not yet inked the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum Agreement (CISMOA) being pushed by the US as ''a sensitive technology-enabler'' for P-8I and other arms procurements.

But MoD and Navy are not too worried. Antony, in fact, told his American counterpart Robert Gates in Washington on Tuesday that while India appreciated the US government's view that pacts like CISMOA would ''facilitate access to high technologies'', there were still some concerns which needed to be addressed.

Read more: India, US defence deal set to get bigger - The Times of India India, US defence deal set to get bigger - The Times of India

Ok. Form what I can observe that this ship was actually not meant or made to an aircraft carrier in the first place. It was a battle cruiser and a helicopter carrier.
It used could have needed a bigger island coz it had long range Bazalt cruise missiles and SAMs.
So it could have needed a bigger island as it also housed CIWS close to its island. you can see that in the actual pic below. this island housed everything needed for a battle cruiser.

It was never an aircraft carrier:)...

Carrier_Baku.jpg

Thanks brother for sharing that but still the fact is that they could have removed such a huge thing off the deck and kept a small one increasing the space of the same.. If you see then you'd find that the desk is taking a a lot of space on the ship's deck and it looks almost useless now as you said previously it was a heavy battle-cruiser needing more missile controls but now it's not needed so it could have been redused to what is actually needeed... Still I can't do that by telling the Russians and neither can you.. So let's be it... Thanks for sharing the info once again...

Thanks brother for sharing that but still the fact is that they could have removed such a huge thing off the deck and kept a small one increasing the space of the same.. If you see then you'd find that the desk is taking a a lot of space on the ship's deck and it looks almost useless now as you said previously it was a heavy battle-cruiser needing more missile controls but now it's not needed so it could have been redused to what is actually needeed... Still I can't do that by telling the Russians and neither can you.. So let's be it... Thanks for sharing the info once again...

Thats true. However the island actually this ship is not that bigger than admiral kustjenov class AC but still bigger, however this ship was actually small and had a compartivly smaller deck area due to not carrying aircraft, compared to the deck area this island looks big too.

But like you said, its no point in talking now, they have removed most of the stuff that wasnt necessary after removal of the missile launchers and front side CIWSs...

Anyway I never thought that this was actually a good deal for us. Too much pain for a ship whose life is so short.

Thats true. However the island actually this ship is not that bigger than admiral kustjenov class AC but still bigger, however this ship was actually small and had a compartivly smaller deck area due to not carrying aircraft, compared to the deck area this island looks big too.

But like you said, its no point in talking now, they have removed most of the stuff that wasnt necessary after removal of the missile launchers and front side CIWSs...

Anyway I never thought that this was actually a good deal for us. Too much pain for a ship whose life is so short.

Even everybody here would agree to that as this ship has made India spend so much that we could have had a newly built aircraft carrier way before Ghroshkov's induction.... And Indian babus knew that this deal would make them rich and so they went ahead with the deal and now the condition is such that IN needs a AC asap with his air arm no place to land or take off from... Mig 29K is being delivered but the ship still is under reffit and still awaits sea trials which would easily take somwhere around another 2-3 years minimum.... This much fund, had it been incurred in owr own carrier program then I guess we would've had at least 2 carriers simultaneously half ready by now..... The ship had a lot of potential when the deal was actually signed but now it seems like something that will eventually come and so let it be kinda situation....... No one knew that it would take this long.. Anyways we still have not lost a lot and are procuring a lot of milirtary hardware.. though this deal was a little dissapointing but let's stay positive and hope for the best.... There is no other Asian country that operates ACs except Russia with one.... I don't have any current detail about the Chinese procurement of the Vrayg AC.... Correct me if Im wrong.....

I don't have any current detail about the Chinese procurement of the Vrayg AC.... Correct me if Im wrong.....

The Chinese are trying get the Varyag up and ready by 2015, by that time if all goes well we will have 2 ACs ready, One bein INS Vikramaditya and other is IAC1. They have already made some prrogress in reconstructing this carrier, however they lack in carrier operations knowledge which we have acquired in last couple off decades.

They are also planning to build 3 more carriers and bigger carriers, however nothing is concrete so far. There were news that they are going for super carriers. howver nothing to worry as we will be having our super carrier by the time they get one.

04_MiG-29K_main.jpg

06_MiG-29K_main.jpg

07_MiG-29K_main.jpg

If that's the single seat Mig 29K then why the cockpit is this big looking like a KUB... I explored a lot of similar pics of Mig 29K and all of those has a big canopy like the one in these images.... A little confused here...

New Indian Coast Guard station at Murud Janjira, to set up CG Air Station at Ratnagiri

The the Director General Indian Coast Guard, Vice Admiral Anil Chopra, AVSM, today formally commissioned the Coast Guard Station at Murud Janjira in Maharashtra. The station had been set up and activated earlier in Jun 2010, as per the Govt Scheme for strengthening of Joint Coastal Patrolling (JCP) off Gujarat and Maharashtra coast.

Three stations funded by the Ministry of Home Affairs viz. Veraval (Gujarat), Dahanu (Maharashtra) and Murud Janjira (Maharashtra), are part of the scheme intended to strengthen close coast surveillance in order to prevent smuggling of arms and explosives, and prevent infiltration of anti-national elements through the sea route.

The station will function under the administrative and operational control of the Commander, Coast Guard Region (West) through the Commander, Coast Guard Distt HQ-2 (Maharashtra) located at Mumbai. Commandant (JG) M Vijay Kumar has been appointed as the first Commanding Officer of the station.

The responsibility of Coastal Security from shoreline till the territorial waters has been entrusted to the Coast Guard post Nov 2008. In addition, the Director General Indian Coast Guard has been designated as the Commander Coastal Command, with the responsibility for overall coordination between various Central and State agencies, in all matters relating to the coastal security.

In response to the enhanced role that has been assigned, the Coast Guard is pursuing urgent enhancement of its surveillance capabilities, so as to meet its tasks and responsibilities effectively. The present force-levels and manpower are slated to be doubled in a few years by graduated procurement, with proportionate and corresponding infrastructure development and augmentation of trained manpower.

The new CG station at Murud Janjira will play an effective role in undertaking joint coastal patrol along with Police, Customs and Fisheries Department to thwart maritime security threats. Two more stations at Dahanu and Ratnagiri have been planned for establishment in the State of Maharashtra by Mar 2011.

In addition, setting up of a Coast Guard Air Station at Ratnagiri is also on the anvil. This will be the first full-fledged air station of the Coast Guard in the state of Maharashtra, and will play a crucial role in maritime surveillance and Search & Rescue at sea adjoining Maharashtra coast.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom