What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

virat.png

Ministry of Defence
03-July, 2017 19:04 IST
Mou Signed between Department of Defence Production and MDL

Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL), a Miniratna Schedule ‘A’ DPSU under the Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the financial year 2017-18 with the Ministry. The annual MoU was signed between Secretary (Defence Production) Shri AK Gupta on behalf of the Ministry and Chairman and Managing Director, MDL Cmde Rakesh Anand. The MoU outlines the targets and various performance parameters for the company. The revenue from operations has been targeted at 4500 crore. Significant milestones to be achieved under Project 75 (Scorpene Submarines) and shipbuilding projects of 15B (destroyers) and 17A (frigates) also form part of the MoU.

NAo/Rajib
(Release ID :167100)

The Secretary (Defence Production), Shri A.K. Gupta and the CMD, Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), Cmde Rakesh Anand signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Department of Defence Production and MDL, in New Delhi on July 03, 2017.
s20170703110575.jpg

Last edited:
Ministry of Defence
05-July, 2017 10:47 IST
Visit of Royal Australia Navy Ship to Kochi

Royal Australia Navy (RAN) ship, HMAS Newcastle commanded by Commander MD Sirois is visiting Kochi from 04 - 07 Jul 17. On 04 Jul 17, the Commanding Officer of the visiting RAN Ship accompanied by Ms. Harinder Sidhu, High Commissioner of Australia and Captain Sheldon Williams, Defence Attache called on Vice Admiral AR Karve AVSM, Flag Officer Commanding- in- Chief Southern Naval Command (SNC) for interactions on issues of common interest to both navies. A friendly volleyball match between teams from SNC and the visiting ship was also played.

During the ship’s stay in harbour, various activities such as guided tour for Indian Naval personnel onboard HMAS Newcastle, conducted tour of some of the training units under SNC at Kochi like the Navigation & Direction, Anti- Submarine Warfare School, Damage Control Training Facility ‘Avinash,’ for the visiting ship’s crew have been planned. The crew from the HMAS Newcastle would be also visiting places of interest at Fort Kochi, Marine Drive and various museums at Kochi. On their departure on 07 Jul 17, the RAN ship is planned to participate in a passage Exercise with IN Ships off Kochi.

Recently, IN Ships Jyoti, Shivalik and Kamorta from Eastern Fleet had also visited Freemantle, Australia from 13–17 June and participated in the second edition of AUSINDEX- 17, a bilateral maritime exercise between the two navies. The naval cooperation between the two countries is in pursuance of India’s Act East policy to promote bilateral relations and enhance interoperability between both navies.

Vishakhapatanam class

@Penguin Need your help. Why do they say 4 X Brahmos launcher in the chart ? shouldn't it be 2 X ?

CuinerqWIAALbPz.jpg

RFPs sometimes are formulated strangely. It should be 2x8 forward. Unles they are planning another 2x8 in the area of the helicopter hangars (which I dont think is the case)

Any chances of seeing an SRSAM on this one or on the Kolkata class ?
Well, if you look at hoow the installed Barak-1 on Delhi's, I would expect 15A and 15B to get a similar arrangement. Yet they are being delivered with 2x2 AK630. Perhaps, if/when they do get SR-SAM, you'll see a similar modification. SR-SAM is active radar homing, so installing 2 Elta TIR would not be necessacy. Anyway, withou a closer look at the area around the read mast, I can't tell right now.

Well, if you look at hoow the installed Barak-1 on Delhi's, I would expect 15A and 15B to get a similar arrangement. Yet they are being delivered with 2x2 AK630. Perhaps, if/when they do get SR-SAM, you'll see a similar modification. SR-SAM is active radar homing, so installing 2 Elta TIR would not be necessacy. Anyway, withou a closer look at the area around the read mast, I can't tell right now.
Are we talking about the SR-SAM ie QRSAM or Barak1? Because the Barak 8 does what Barak1 was suppose to do removing the need to install both systems on the same platform. Correct me if i'm wrong. If the IN does go in for a SR-SAM it would have be better than Barak 8 and short engagements something that is quick reaction and able to intercept variety of attacks.
Also any chance that there are more missiles under deck in configuration like the soviet vessels of the old where they stored more missiles? Because I have seen some officers dodge the question of number of missiles. Brahmos is 3 tons but Barak 8 is much lighter. Could it be possible to have more missiles under deck and moved in place when required?

19029288_1455252207886163_8403976401348169063_n.jpg

Indian Navy P-8i's clocks 10,000 flight hours successfully since induction in 2015.
I think p8I will serve IN for next 15-20 years. DRDO should start working for its replacement from now onwards,other wise agawe may have to look for foreign alternatives.

Vishakhapatanam class

@Penguin Need your help. Why do they say 4 X Brahmos launcher in the chart ? shouldn't it be 2 X ?

CuinerqWIAALbPz.jpg
I don't see much improvement in stealth characteristics over present Kolkata class. It's high time for us to start R&D on new destroyers,it should be as good as or better than Burk class.

Arleigh Burke isn't about stealth.

Well, we would have better stealthier ships- Project 17A frigates by 2022

bharatastra%2Bp17a.jpg
It's a frigate. Now you weather difference in fire power of Burk and Kolkata class.

Back
Top Bottom