What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

494019f7948819130fed4f610f7f851a.jpg

The Southern Naval Command early today deployed INS Sujata in response to a call for assistance from MV Melina I, a bulk carrier. The ship on passage from Ukraine to Paradip is learnt to have encountered pirates approximately 200 nautical miles west of Lakshadweep. Indian Coast Guard vessel CGS Annie Besant and a Dornier aircraft have also been dispatched to render assistance. INS Sujata has embarked an armed helicopter and Marine Commandos (MARCOS) to effectively deal with any emergent situation

link: Chindits: Southern Naval Command Launches Anti-piracy Operation.

Added Later: It seems the issue has been resolved!

Desperate step? Govt OKs 2000cr more for Scorpenes - India - The Times of India

99bbea2a7ba2219fc4984c14f570ccc1.jpg

NEW DELHI: In a bid to rescue India's underwater combat arm from sinking any further, the government has approved a huge cost escalation in the already mammoth Rs 18,798 crore project to construct six French Scorpene submarines at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai.

The Cabinet Committee on Security has given the formal nod to pay around Rs 2,000 crore more to French company DCNS\Armaris to get MPM (MDL procured material) packages for the submarines. These are crucial since they include all major systems connected with sensors, propulsion and the like for the vessels.

Despite both China and Pakistan rapidly bolstering their submarine fleets, the Scorpene project (P-75), under which one vessel was to roll every year from 2012 onwards, is already running over two years behind schedule, as was first reported by TOI.

Moreover, the government continues to dither over the proposed Rs 30,000 crore programme, called Project-75I, for the second line of next-generation submarines despite Navy pressing the panic buttons for its quick finalisation.

The main reason for the Scorpene project's delay has been the protracted negotiations for the MPM packages, with DCNS hiking its demand from around 400 million Euros to 700 million Euros for them.

This issue should have been sorted out when the Scorpene project — MDL is fabricating the hulls but has nothing to put inside them at present — was finalised in October 2005 itself. "It was a major goof-up by the defence ministry," said a source.

The main Rs 6,135 crore contract at that time was inked with M/s Armaris (DCN-Thales joint venture) for transfer of technology, combat systems and construction design, while the second one for Rs 1,062 crore was with M/s MBDA for sea-skimming Exocet missiles. The third Rs 5,888-crore contract was signed with MDL for indigenous submarine construction, with another Rs 3,553 crore earmarked for taxes and Rs 2,160 crore towards other items to be acquired during the project.

CAG reports, too, have blasted the government for taking nine years to finalise the Scorpene deal, which led to increase in the project cost by Rs 2,838 crore. Navy, on its part, has reason to be worried over the delays in P-75 as well as P-75I since it will be left with only nine out of its present fleet of 16 diesel-electric submarines (10 Russian Kilo-class, four German HDW and two virtually obsolete Foxtrot) by 2012-2013.

The number may further dip to just five by 2014-2015.

This when Pakistan is now looking to induct three advanced Type-214 German submarines, equipped with AIP (air-independent propulsion), after inducting three French Agosta-90B submarines, with the last one PNS Hamza even having AIP. China, in turn, has a staggering 62 submarines, with around 10 of them being nuclear-propelled, and at least one Xia-class and two Jin-class being armed with long-range nuclear missiles.

As far as i know deal of 3 U-214 of PN had been cancelled .....

Pakistani member can shed more light on this part.....:)

Indian Navy to build new floating dock at Port Blair

Last Updated: Mar 07, 2010
NEW DELHI (PTI): Indian Navy is all set to build a strategically important floating dock to enable repair and refit of warships at sea, instead of at shore-based dry docks.

It has issued a request for information (RFI) to global shipbuilders for construction of the dock with 8,000-tonne lift capability at Port Blair, where a major tri-service military command is headquartered.

India already has a floating dock in service at Port Blair and the new facility would augment the capability by 2012-13, officers in the navy said here Sunday.

A floating dock of the navy had sunk in November 2002 off Port Blair following flooding of ballast tanks that controlled docking and undocking of warships due to power failure. It was brought afloat and later repaired in Sri Lanka.

The navy, the officers said, was looking at self-sufficient docks and shore-dependent docks (that draw power from land-based sources).

The dock should withstand likely severe tsunami waves without any major damage to ships docked and its pontoon deck should be suitably strengthened to cater to off-centre docking, the RFI said.

Seeking a world-class design for the dock, the navy has prescribed that it should have the approval of Maritime Classification Society and European Maritime Society.

The construction must be undertaken employing modern build strategy allowing for integrated construction to facilitate very short build period, the RFI said.

Indian Navy to build new floating dock at Port Blair :: Brahmand.com

Indian Navy to build new floating dock at Port Blair

A floating dock of the navy had sunk in November 2002 off Port Blair following flooding of ballast tanks that controlled docking and undocking of warships due to power failure. It was brought afloat and later repaired in Sri Lanka.

[/url]

Why do we need to go to Sri Lanka to repair it . Can it be done in India ????:what:

Repaired in sri lanka but by our people navy as sri lanka is a friendly country we can use its territory with their ascent.

Repairing Means Business; it will be a day dream if Sri Lanka allows its territory for Indian Military Activities.

Sri Lanka does not favor any kind of major defense deals with India.

Remember Sri Lanka also brought ships from India.

Only Business.

Isn't this a contradiction? "Buying ships" should imply defence deal! Defence deal inplies business (atleast for the country selling the ships).

I know of 2 Vikram class OPC's (indian coast guard) and a Sukanya class PV (indian navy) which are in service with sri lankan navy!

Ofcourse if Sri Lanka thinks it should not deal with India for its defence needs, that is her prerogative!

Last edited:
Isn't this a contradiction? "Buying ships" should imply defence deal! Defence deal inplies business (atleast for the country selling the ships).

I know of 2 Vikram class OPC's (indian coast guard) and a Sukanya class PV (indian navy) which are in service with sri lankan navy!

Ofcourse if Sri Lanka thinks it should not deal with India for its defence needs, that is your prerogative!

yaar, he has some complex. if i have said that about china instead of India then he will be jumping with happiness.

China also means business not charity. Ignore him, he's new communist.

yaar, he has some complex. if i have said that about china instead of India then he will be jumping with happiness.

China also means business not charity. Ignore him, he's new communist.

What wrong with you? Is there anything related to china or communist?
I think you should take some medicine.

As far as i know deal of 3 U-214 of PN had been cancelled .....

Pakistani member can shed more light on this part.....:)
Not cancelled, but still not finalised! Last oct it was said to be up to 95% fix, but till now still no contract has been signed.
My guess is Germany and HDW are checking there chances in India first, because if they have chances to win the second IN deal, because they could make more money with a sale to IN (for at least 6 more subs), than with a sale to PN (for only 3 subs).
And their chances aren't bad, we build the U 209 under licence before, with is comparable in the construction to U 214, so we should produced them faster than the Scorpenes. Their AIP systems is the best available at the moment and even in the first competition they was cheaper than the Scorpenes.
The only question in case of the U214 is, could they be armed with Brahmos, which seems to be a major requirement for IN. I read somewhere that the Scorpenes can not, because the addition of another modul for AIP, makes the sub already very long. The Russians of course offer this advantage, but their sub is clearly inferior to the European with AIP, so have some doubts that IN would go for them only because of Brahmos.

Not cancelled, but still not finalised! Last oct it was said to be up to 95% fix, but till now still no contract has been signed.
My guess is Germany and HDW are checking there chances in India first, because if they have chances to win the second IN deal, because they could make more money with a sale to IN (for at least 6 more subs), than with a sale to PN (for only 3 subs).
And their chances aren't bad, we build the U 209 under licence before, with is comparable in the construction to U 214, so we should produced them faster than the Scorpenes. Their AIP systems is the best available at the moment and even in the first competition they was cheaper than the Scorpenes.
The only question in case of the U214 is, could they be armed with Brahmos, which seems to be a major requirement for IN. I read somewhere that the Scorpenes can not, because the addition of another modul for AIP, makes the sub already very long. The Russians of course offer this advantage, but their sub is clearly inferior to the European with AIP, so have some doubts that IN would go for them only because of Brahmos.

that's what i thought buy 6-8 or 12 U-214 from germany and stopp them to sell these to PN which definitly delay their modernisation

we already have scorpene so we can twist fench also and russia wouldn't sell sub to PN............ , only their chinese friend left with them..

we should buy rafale and stop french to sell any avionics for JF,mirage,etc to PAF...:devil:

Repairing Means Business; it will be a day dream if Sri Lanka allows its territory for Indian Military Activities.

Only Business.

:what: ok buddy :woot: :flame: its pure business

Back
Top Bottom