What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

12718343_1088696637860452_2778994489520572141_n.jpg

INS Vishal : 2nd meeting of Indo US officials held in New Delhi

INS Vishal : 2nd meeting of Indo US officials held in New Delhi

2nd Joint Working Group on Aircraft Carrier Technology Cooperation (JWGACTC) meeting between India & United States concludes in New Delhi

The 2nd meeting of the Joint Working Group on Aircraft Carrier Technology Co-operation (JWGACTC), constituted under the auspices of the Indo – US Defence Trade and Technology Initiative, was organised in India from 15 to 18 Feb 16.

An 11 member delegation of the US Side, headed by Rear Admiral Thomas J Moore, Program Executive Officer, Aircraft Carriers (United States Navy), visited various defence/ industrial installations in India including the Shore Based Test Facility at Goa, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), Bengaluru and Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), Kochi. The delegation also visited the first Indian Indigenous Aircraft Carrier being constructed at CSL.

The concluding session of the Joint Working Group Meeting was held on 18 Feb 16 at New Delhi and was co-chaired by Vice Admiral GS Pabby, Controller Warship Production and Acquisition and Rear Admiral Thomas J Moore, Program Executive Officer, Aircraft Carriers (United States Navy). During this meeting, various aspects of cooperation in the field of aircraft carrier technology were discussed and a joint statement signed.

The meeting was attended by members of the Joint Working Group and relevant representatives from IHQ MoD (N), HQIDS, DRDO and Ministry of External Affairs, India.

PTI

Last edited:
INS Vikramaditya at the Karwar naval base.

INS_Vikramaditya_at_Karwar_naval_base.png

^^Thanks to Gessler for the image.

Indian_navy_P_15_A_Kolkata_P_15_B_Visakhapatnam.jpg

P_15_A_Kolkata_P_15_B_Visakhapatnam_P_17_A_FFG.jpg

The ship on right appears to the P-17A frigate design. The flush deck appears properly stealthy and the mast clearly denotes the MF-STAR AESA radar.

Last edited:
INS Vikramaditya at the Karwar naval base.

INS_Vikramaditya_at_Karwar_naval_base.png

Thanks to Gessler for the image.

navymakeinindia-1-jpg.25370

untitled-1-jpg.25371

The ship on right appears to the P-17A frigate design. The flush deck appears properly stealthy and the mast clearly denotes the MF-STAR AESA radar.
Can't see any pictures

P_15_A_Kolkata_P_15_B_Visakhapatnam_P_17_A_FFG.jpg

Looks like the P-17A for sure (with the P-15B being on the left):

bharatastra%2Bp17a.jpg

GREG35z.jpg

The VSR in the pics looks different to what is in the above renders. In the diagram you've posted it looks like the LW-08 but that isn't even on the P-17s (they have the EL/M-2238 3D-STAR) so I guess that's just a mistake. The P-17As (and P-15Bs) will have a far more modern VSR than the LW-08.

Sorry.

Are they visible now?
Yes, thanks brother.

(but Viky at Karwar isn't )

Looks like the P-17A for sure (with the P-15B being on the left):

bharatastra%2Bp17a.jpg

GREG35z.jpg

The VSR in the pics looks different to what is in the above renders. In the diagram you've posted it looks like the LW-08 but that isn't even on the P-17s (they have the EL/M-2238 3D-STAR) so I guess that's just a mistake. The P-17As (and P-15Bs) will have a far more modern VSR than the LW-08.

I believe we already placed orders for the RAN-40L for the Vikrant, or have we not? I guess they'll just order more of the type for all DDGs and FFGs later on. Even the Delhi-class can be retrofitted with modern radars as part of a SLEP upgrade. As can the P-15A.

(but Viky at Karwar isn't )

View image: INS Vikramaditya at Karwar naval base

I believe we already placed orders for the RAN-40L for the Vikrant, or have we not?
You are correct, RAN-40L has been ordered and will be present on Vikrant (had this confirmed a few weeks back). I suppose the MF-STAR/RAN-40L combo as will appear first on the IAC-1 will be the standard sensor suite for all major combat ships of the IN going into the future.

Thanks for that brother.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA

17miiw-defence17.jpg

Look at this first P17A will be delivered in mid 2022 which is nothing but incompetency .......the last P17 was delivered in 2013 with a gap of 9 years ..........I mean WTF.........what they were doing all these previous years ......like P15B they should have started P17A in 2011/2012 by now we would have our first P17A ships and by 2022/2023 (each P17A per year) all would have been delivered .....now the whole program will start from feb 2017 at a loss of 7 years

Add to that IN not able to spend about 1.5-2 bn per year which is nothing but criminality........each of this P17A cost 1 bn $ IN could easily afford it

here is another interesting thing I observe .............look at the marked
17miiw-defence19.jpg

1. For P15A MF-sTAR is procured from Israel but for P15B MFsTAR is BEL Indigenisation in process:yay:

2. For P15A RAWL is used but for P15B being decided ..now what are they thinking and what are options
A naval version of this baby :P
5743921_orig.jpg

3. For P15B they are using new EW suite known shakti :flame:

Look at the at the rate of indigenisation...from 42% to 78%... almost double ...which i believe surely crossed 80 % by now
17miiw-defence19.jpg

Attachments

• 17miiw-defence17.jpg
    17miiw-defence17.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Look at this first P17A will be delivered in mid 2022 which is nothing but incompetency .......the last P17 was delivered in 2013 with a gap of 9 years ..........I mean WTF.........what they were doing all these previous years ......like P15B they should have started P17A in 2011/2012 by now we would have our first P17A ships and by 2022/2023 (each P17A per year) all would have been delivered .....now the whole program will start from feb 2017 at a loss of 7 years
Agreed, I don't know what happened with the P-17A for all thos eyears, you are right to point out the example of the P-15B (which is under construction before the last P-15A has even been inducted), this is how the P-17A should have progressed.

I personally beleive it was a failure of the previous GoI as the P-17As were cleared very soon after the new GoI came to power which leads me to beleive it was simply a pending issue that the last DM had not progressed- for whatever reason.

That said, 60 months (with a 2 year planning period) to produce each P-17A is a pretty decent effort. I hope that this time the momentum is not lost and maybe another 4-6 P-17As are built or the P-17A's follow-on class begins construction the moment the P-17As are in service.

2. For P15A RAWL is used but for P15B being decided ..now what are they thinking and what are options
A naval version of this baby :P
5743921_orig.jpg

Perhaps but don't forget the IAC-1 will have the RAN-40L along with the MF-STAR so perhaps the IN will settle on this combo for all future major warships.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom