What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

@Penguin I feel firstly, since the airframes of these copters are already old, and secondly because converting them to UCAV will involve too many modifications to the airframe, it's best that they are retired.
They will be the HAL/IAI project to turn Chetaks into UAVs/NRAVS failed because the Chetaks were too old and outdated. IIRC they started looking at the modern ALH with digital everything (pretty much) as al alternative.next stage, but don't know where that went. Either way the Chetaks will be gone in 3-4 years being replaced by the N-LUH the IN has already started a competition for.

The follow on Project 15B destroyer project has started - Bangalore Class (not sure)
Keel laid for first ship on 12/dec/13 --
http://www.mazagondock.gov.in/newsite2010/pdfs/msg/KEEL LAID FOR YARD 12704.pdf

CC @Gessler @sancho @kurup @Penguin @Abingdonboy @acetophenol @Capt.Popeye
Nice, nothing had been reported on this pretty momentous bit of news- great job as always Indian media. Guess they were too busy chasing BS head-line grabbing news.

24767_1388769190.jpg

Tu-142MK-E along with P8-i

@Abingdonboy
Can a kneel be laid without a freeze on design?
Well theoretically speaking certain aspects of the design can be tweaked post-kneel laying but the major design aspects must be frozen before you lay the keel ie length, displacement, draft, propulsion etc. So the P-15B's design is likely frozen.

24767_1388769190.jpg

Tu-142MK-E along with P8-i
Where's the P-8I in this pic? Those are Airbus I think either A320s or A319s-it's hard to tell from this angle. But I don't see any P-8Is.

Well theoretically speaking certain aspects of the design can be tweaked post-kneel laying but the major design aspects must be frozen before you lay the keel ie length, displacement, draft, propulsion etc. So the P-15B's design is likely frozen.

Where's the P-8I in this pic? Those are Airbus I think either A320s or A319s-it's hard to tell from this angle. But I don't see any P-8Is.
They are neither, Airbus planes especially the 318,319,320,333-200, 330-300, 340 etc have winglets for fuel efficiency, but it isn't the P-8i as you indicated as well...the color scheme isn't right though they could be early variants of the 737, judging by the red on the engines, I would assume that they belong to Air India..

They are neither, Airbus planes especially the 318,319,320,333-200, 330-300, 340 etc have winglets for fuel efficiency, but it isn't the P-8i as you indicated as well...the color scheme isn't right though they could be early variants of the 737, judging by the red on the engines, I would assume that they belong to Air India..
They are some time of Airbus, the 737s have very distinctive engines and profile:

1589919.jpg

The birds in the pic aren't even in the IN's Grey! They are clearly white so all this looking at profiles business is a waste of time- it's clear they are civilian airliners and NOT P-8Is.

DO we have anything like this on board of Indian Warships ?

@Penguin , how effective such system can be ?

Image of a similar Indian Made ASW weapon on Talwar. RBU 6000 made in India under Russian ToT.
Talwar11.jpg

HAPP, Tiruchi develops indigenous version of RGB 60 for Indian Navy - The Hindu

TY18HAPP2_69017f.jpg

The HAPP (Heavy Alloy Penetrator Project), Tiruchi, has developed an indigenised version of the Russian Anti-Submarine Rocket Guided Bomb 60 (RGB 60), for catering to the needs of Indian Navy.

The 110 kg RGB 60 rocket developed through in-house Research and Development process within a duration of one year, has been designed to deliver a war head mass of 25 kg to a range of 5.8 km within ten seconds. The rocket is fired in formations from the RBU 6000 (Rocketnaya Bombometnaya Ustanovka) Rocket Depth Bomb Launcher mounted on ship

DO we have anything like this on board of Indian Warships ?

@Penguin , how effective such system can be ?

Very, but you have to keep in mind with this Swedish system (also used by eg. Finland) that it is designed from small ships (Visby class and smalller, under 1000 tons) and for specific circumstances such as you find in the Baltic (i.e. shallow waters in general, rocky coastal areas) which limit a submarine's degree of freedom in avoiding detection and escape once detected.

See Elma (antiubåtsgranat) - Wikipedia (use translate.google.com to go from Swedish to English)

See also listing in Naval INstitute Guide to world weapon systems (N. Friedman) 2006 p757
The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapon Systems - Norman Friedman - Google Boeken

THe RBU 6000 is a much larger ASW rocket system, which required deck penetration (automated below deck ammo suppy) It is also a far larger rocket, It can also be used as last ditch torpedo defence hard kill system. It is intended for major surface ships (i.e. corvettes and up, e.g. starting in Grisha class), as back up to heavyweigh 533mm asw torpedo's. There are smaller RBU systems (rbu 1000, 1200 , 2500). China and Russia part, there aren't all that many producers of asw rocket systems anymore. Many navies use only light weight 324mm ASW torpedoes these days.

See naval institute guide above, page 755 .

Last edited:
81st Immediate Support Vessels squadron commissioned

In an effort to strengthen maritime security, the 81st Immediate Support Vessels Squadron comprising seven Immediate Support Vessels (ISVs) were commissioned into the Indian Navy on Thursday.

The ships were commissioned at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai by Sudhir Vasudeva, chairman and managing director ONGC, in the presence of senior naval officers and dignitaries from ONGC. A total of twenty three ISVs are planned to be commissioned in the Indian Navy.

India's economic development is dependent on the seas and thus safeguarding the nation's maritime interests is extremely important. Our vital oil and gas installations located in the offshore provide almost 70% of India's indigenous hydrocarbon production and are valuable assets for energy security. The security of these national off shore assets of vital economic importance demands constant surveillance and credible response capability and swift reactions to emergent situations.

The ISVs are equipped with advanced navigational and communication equipment and armed with heavy and light machine guns. These vessels are designed to achieve speeds in excess of 40 knots (75 Km/hr) and can sustain themselves at sea for a considerable duration. Built ingenuously by M/S SHM Shipcare these vessels would be operated by the Indian Navy and would patrol the Offshore Oil Development Areas thus strengthening offshore security.

Defence News - 81st Immediate Support Vessels squadron commissioned
http://www.defencenews.in/defence-news-internal.aspx?id=$$ravQ$$gDtMQ=

Back
Top Bottom