What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

Don't you think it will be highly impossible ???
To work with Sukoi we need to give them access to US catapult system. Will it be possible ??? Will American allow us to show their monopoly card to Russians. I don't thinks so.
May be Dassault if Russians don't mind them handling and modifying FGFA

Catapult and Rafael don't seem to materialise at the same time. Uncle sam will tag F-18s with catapult

We can have the option of a French catapult system by then.

This one from NDTV- I wonder what 'launch means'- I thought several years of work was left. Is the PIC really Vikrant-2

INS Vikrant, India's first indigenous aircraft carrier, to be launched on August 12 | NDTV.com
Some things to note from the above article:

"About 83 per cent of the fabrication work and 75 per cent of the construction work will be over when the ship goes into water," said Indian Navy's vice chief, Admiral Robin Dhowan.

The aircraft carrier is expected to be inducted into the Indian Navy by 2018.

While nearly 90 per cent of the body work of the aircraft carrier has been designed and made in India, about 50 per cent of propulsion system is of Indian origin and about 30 per cent of fighting capability of the warship are from India.

"It will be equipped with a long range surface-to-air missiles system with multi-function radar and close-in weapons system (CIWS

This BARAK-2 LR-SAM- BARAK-1 CIWS-MF-STAR- RAN-40L combo (same as on the P-15A/Bs, minus RAN-4OL for the As) is going to be a real game changer for the region and the high seas.

the major achievement for India has been the ability to fabricate weapons grade steel. "After our initial difficulty in procuring weapons grade steel, our own laboratories were able to crack the code. Steel Authority of India is now producing the requisite quality of steel"

BOOM- no such delays will be faced in construction of the IAC-2, factoring there will also (hopefully) not be a major RTC that writes-off a gearbox the IAC-2 will have years shaved off its production timeline from day one. But given it will likely be much larger and more complex with a catapult- delays will, I'm sure, find their way into the project in some form.

Still- GREAT stuff, something to sheer about for sure.

You are such a pessimist.

Just because one project got delayed, doesn't mean everything will be delayed.

On topic, it was long anticipated by defence analysts that IAC-2 will be a nuclear-powered carrier.

What we need are atleast 3 such N-powered carriers, each with atleast 65,000 ton displacement and
deploying 5th generation FGFA fighters.

I think the IAC-2 will be 65,000+ tonnes and CATOBAR configured (fingers crossed for EMALS) BUT conventionally powered. The IAC-3 is the most likely candidate to be N-powered and not the IAC-2 and I think this is the best way to go for natural progression to take its course. If the IAC-2 really is set to be 65,000+ tonnes with some form of catapult (steam or otherwise) then it is already going to be a serious leap from IAC-1 to IAC-2 wrt construction techniques and absorption and integration of new tech, throw in the N-Power element and you've got a disaster in the making-IMHO, as far as delays and cost overruns are concerned.

The final piece of the puzzle is, indeed, the air wing. The IN needs a fifth gen fighter at least on teh horizon before the end of this decade-IMHO.

sv4z.jpg

fi0r.jpg

tj1m.jpg

o0mw.jpg

Most of it's from the Indian Navy's own PR department.

It's great footage though!! Loving the MIG-29K these days.

Only one complain man. The Ks are going to be the first line of defense for the CBG in the form of the BARCAP, as such I would have appreciated an AESA radar. Same goes for our CBGs, really not comfortable with the Kamov- AEWs. Whats the combat radius and endurance on station for the Kamovs anyway?

Only one complain man. The Ks are going to be the first line of defense for the CBG in the form of the BARCAP, as such I would have appreciated an AESA radar. Same goes for our CBGs, really not comfortable with the Kamov- AEWs. Whats the combat radius and endurance on station for the Kamovs anyway?

No doubt an AESA would have been preferable but these will come with the MLU for sure. And yes the KA-31 AEWs are not the systems one would most like to see on IN ACCs certainly.

No doubt an AESA would have been preferable but these will come with the MLU for sure. And yes the KA-31 AEWs are not the systems one would most like to see on IN ACCs certainly.

True, PSK sir stated that it would be operating in a radar picket role a 100 nmi (will get a second confirmation) from the CBG- with the "Oko" EWR's detection range of 150 Km against a fighter sized target that should provide sufficient cover but its still cutting it rather close. UK's Cerebrus + Sea King combos a good one. But check this out- Boeing Gives A TOSS.

I have my hopes pitched on the Vishal. I know you have reservations against opting for nuclear propulsion this early on but I'd respectfully disagree, the DAE needs to put all its learnt with the Arihant reactor into a new reactor design that can serve as the core of a larger SSBN and in a cluster as the core of a nuclear AC. Such an AC could easily accommodate the V-22 with an AEW sensor.
@Capt.Popeye What do you opine. With the recent upgrades (completed and ongoing) of our shipyards, I believe Mazgaon has already been upgraded, modular construction and goliath cranes along with the major hurdle of the Barak system being behind us should we now venture into nuclear propulsion for the Vishal- as tentative as that may be? Sorry for the poor phrasing of the question- severely sleep deprived atm.:ashamed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom